Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Toyota Trucks & SUVs

Notices

94 toyota 4runner 4x4 dependable for college??

Old 07-27-2010, 12:46 PM   #1
kingN8 is a jewel in the roughkingN8 is a jewel in the roughkingN8 is a jewel in the roughkingN8 is a jewel in the rough
kingN8's Tacoma Gallery
94 toyota 4runner 4x4 dependable for college??

Hey guys, I'm lookin at a 94 4runner with only 92,xxx miles on her. It's a gorgeous suv without a doubt. I know toyotas last FOREVER and they have a rep but I just wanted to get some feedback on purchasing this because I will be having for about 4-5 years throughout college. I will not be going off road. strictly jus school, and makin trips back home. let me know what you guys think!

here's a link to the 4runner. plz no one else buy it lol

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false
Old 07-27-2010, 12:48 PM   #2
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
they are great cars. Ive seen a lot of people replacing head gaskets on them though..so idk, waiting for someone else to chime in.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:57 PM   #3
kingN8 is a jewel in the roughkingN8 is a jewel in the roughkingN8 is a jewel in the roughkingN8 is a jewel in the rough
kingN8's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keason1* View Post
they are great cars. Ive seen a lot of people replacing head gaskets on them though..so idk, waiting for someone else to chime in.
Do you know the cost of replacing the head gasket? Or is the cost something that is dependent on the condition of it?
Old 07-27-2010, 01:04 PM   #4
MAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MAXTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keason1* View Post
x2 on the head gasket... That seems to be common...

Honestly I would look for a 96 and newer. The 3.4 liter is a huge improvement.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:04 PM   #5
cohrmundt is one of the sharper tools in the shedcohrmundt is one of the sharper tools in the shedcohrmundt is one of the sharper tools in the shedcohrmundt is one of the sharper tools in the shedcohrmundt is one of the sharper tools in the shedcohrmundt is one of the sharper tools in the shedcohrmundt is one of the sharper tools in the shedcohrmundt is one of the sharper tools in the shedcohrmundt is one of the sharper tools in the shedcohrmundt is one of the sharper tools in the shedcohrmundt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cullen
cohrmundt's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to cohrmundt
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate TSS View Post
Do you know the cost of replacing the head gasket? Or is the cost something that is dependent on the condition of it?
Me and my brother share a 93 4runner for offroad use. my mom bought it new in 93 and it still runs like a champ. it has about 285,000 miles on it now, ive replace the head gaskets only once so far. Head gaskets are like 80 bucks and i think i payed like 75 bucks to have a mechanic replace em.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:07 PM   #6
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
I would hold out till you find one with the 4 cyl. Its way better in every way imaginable.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:35 PM   #7
kingN8's Tacoma Gallery
bump, yea it isnt a for sure thing. i jus had my eyes on it. although the cost of the gasket isnt really too much. i'm might wait a little to see if a newer one comes about. thanks for the feedback gentlemen
Old 07-27-2010, 10:33 PM   #8
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
pittim's Tacoma Gallery
the 3.0 V6 is complete garbage.

if you want a first or second gen runner (-95) go with the 4cyl.

third gens go with the 3.4 v6.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:38 PM   #9
well.....
Rustyota has a spectacular aura aboutRustyota has a spectacular aura aboutRustyota has a spectacular aura about

Rustyota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittim View Post
the 3.0 V6 is complete garbage.

if you want a first or second gen runner (-95) go with the 4cyl.

third gens go with the 3.4 v6.

^X2!!

The 3.0 V6 (3VZE) is JUNK. It's slow (the 3.slow), gutless, gets bad mileage, and blows head gaskets. Get the 4 cyl (22RE) or get a later with the 3.4L V6. The 3.0 is the one exception to toyota's reliability reputation.

Just my $0.02
Old 07-27-2010, 10:49 PM   #10
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
v6 engine in those is slow and they blow headgaskets. A buddy had one that blew the headgaskets. Toyota surfaced the heads and changed the gaskets under warranty. The repairs lasted less than one week because the top deck of the engine block was warped as well. Ended up with a new shortblock, headgaskets, surfaced heads. Toyota paid for the whole thing, there was a service campaign on them. Find out if the gaskets were done before you buy it. Be aware that many people end up having to get them done again. You do not want that to be your expense.

22re four banger is more reliable, but even slower. They will need headgasket and timing chain done sometime around 125-175k. If you do not catch these in time, it can destroy the engine.

The 3rd gen 4runners have more reliable, faster engines.

I love the 2nd gen body and I would love to have one. But I would engine swap it if I ever get one. The 3.4 v6 in the 3rd gen 4runner and 1st gen tacoma is a relatively easy swap in place of the 3.0. There is a lot of online info on this swap.

Sounds like you need something reliable, not a project. Look for a 3rd gen, they are starting to come down in price.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:55 PM   #11
CUtigerfan is a glorious beacon of lightCUtigerfan is a glorious beacon of lightCUtigerfan is a glorious beacon of lightCUtigerfan is a glorious beacon of lightCUtigerfan is a glorious beacon of light

CUtigerfan's Tacoma Gallery
If your not offroading why buy the 4x4. That seems kinda steep for a 94. I bought my 04 Tacoma for $5000 with 54,000 miles on it. If your looking for reliability and good mileage why not look at a 4 cyl 1st gen tacoma?
Old 07-27-2010, 11:53 PM   #12
kingN8's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CUtigerfan View Post
If your not offroading why buy the 4x4. That seems kinda steep for a 94. I bought my 04 Tacoma for $5000 with 54,000 miles on it. If your looking for reliability and good mileage why not look at a 4 cyl 1st gen tacoma?
all the first gen tacomas are extended cab and i need 4 doors. a dcab tacoma with less than 100k on the dash is outta my price range, otherwise that would definitely be what buy. i'm not looking for a 4x4, it just happened to be one i liked with less than 100k miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXTacoma View Post
x2 on the head gasket... That seems to be common...

Honestly I would look for a 96 and newer. The 3.4 liter is a huge improvement.
i found a 96 4runner, black with tan leather seats (love leather), and she has 95,xxx miles on her. they have it listed 5,999 obo. the lady interested in my truck came by today, test drove my truck and loved it. hopefully she hears from the bank by tomorrow and i can call the dealership about this 4runner.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:00 AM   #13
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate TSS View Post

i found a 96 4runner, black with tan leather seats (love leather), and she has 95,xxx miles on her. they have it listed 5,999 obo. the lady interested in my truck came by today, test drove my truck and loved it. hopefully she hears from the bank by tomorrow and i can call the dealership about this 4runner.

Thats more like it. I say go for it.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:12 AM   #14
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
Thats more like it. I say go for it.
x2
Old 07-28-2010, 12:16 AM   #15
CRAZY 4WHEELER
desertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: From the Mojave desert now in Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
desertdude59's Tacoma Gallery
If its an auto I wouldnt get it. Those tranny's suck. The engine is a toss up. Done a few engine rebuilds to my 3.0. Some people have luck with them and some don't.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:17 AM   #16
braaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdude59 View Post
If its an auto I wouldnt get it. Those tranny's suck. The engine is a toss up. Done a few engine rebuilds to my 3.0. Some people have luck with them and some don't.
that second one he posted has the same drivetrain as a first gen taco. Much better than the 3.0.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:21 AM   #17
CRAZY 4WHEELER
desertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: From the Mojave desert now in Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
desertdude59's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
that second one he posted has the same drivetrain as a first gen taco. Much better than the 3.0.

Have to agree with you. My 3.0 has taken some abuse, but it also has been an expensive engine to work on. Its more of my weekend warrior now though. Not a daily driver anymore.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:56 AM   #18
kingN8's Tacoma Gallery
yea i'm gonna look for a 96+. thank you guys for all your inputs. i'll post pics later on of whatever i purchase
Old 07-28-2010, 12:58 AM   #19
YeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shedYeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shedYeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shedYeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shedYeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shedYeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shedYeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shedYeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shedYeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shedYeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shedYeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Honor Guard-Now out of Honor Guard getting ready for MK "A" School
Name: Thomas
YeahYeah's Tacoma Gallery
GET THE CAR!!!!! I have a 92 and it runs smooth. I keep it tuned up and it keeps me going strong. Gotta love em
Old 07-28-2010, 01:04 AM   #20
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
This thread makes me laugh......

Back in 1988 when I was in college - I was 4 hours away from home and living in the dorms.

I had a 1980 Plymouth Horizon piece of shit. I forgot how many miles it had but the vehicle was a junkyard piece (literally). I managed to keep her running and did all sorts of vehicle repairs outside the dorm dock doors. By the time I graduated, the thing only ran on 3 cylinders and I finally gave it back to the junkyard from which it came.

It's all good!! If I can survive with a Plymouth Horizon, you can survive with a Toyota!!!