1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

clutch sound

Discussion in 'Toyota Trucks & SUVs' started by mrdinh, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Aug 20, 2010 at 6:43 AM
    mrdinh

mrdinh [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD SR5
    westin nerf bars and argricover soft roll up bed cover
    when i don't rev the engine in first gear past 3000rpm and i shift to 2nd gear...i hear a slam clutch sound...but if i go past 3000rpm or so i don't...is this normal to 2010 tacomas?

thanks

2. Aug 20, 2010 at 7:08 AM
    larryde09

larryde09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport, White Double Cab "Yeti"
    Current: DR750S-2CH Dash Cam, USB Fast Charger in stock blank, Hondo Garage phone mount Previous: 2006 Black 2.7L 5-spd SR5 4x4 Access Cab - K&N Cold Air Intake, Modified Magnaflow Cat-back Exhaust, Altezza Tail Lights, Pop&Lock Tailgate Lock, Extang Trifecta Tonneau Cover, PIAA foglights with stock switch, DrawTite Hitch, OBX Shift Knob, Hood Protector, Vent Visors, DIY step bars, DIY Bed Lights, DIY Ground Lights, DIY Tailgate Electrical Box, Aftermarket switches in stock dash blanks, Sony Head Unit, Illuminated 4x4 switch mod
    Not sure exactly what you're feeling, but I do feel a "clunk" if I improperly shift, which may be similar to what you're feeling. This is typically due to the differential speeds of the engine and the driveshaft/transmission. If you shift at too low of an RPM or don't sufficiently slip the clutch when shifting, the synchros can't do their job and the system will slam together resulting in a clunk and/or that lurching back and forth feeling. This is due to the mismatched torque on the shafts until they equal out. This can also be due to not pressing the clutch pedal all the way.

You should shift at ~3,000 RPM to get the shaft speeds close to prepare for the next gear, but if you shift at a lower RPM, I'd recommend making sure you fully depress the clutch and don't "drop" the clutch...make sure once you've depressed the clutch pedal you provide sufficient time for the synchros to prep for second gear, then shift into gear and smoothly let off the clutch.

3. Aug 20, 2010 at 12:18 PM
    mrdinh

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD SR5
    larry, thanks for the info...btw...this only happens between 1st & 2nd gear....

4. Aug 20, 2010 at 2:00 PM
    larryde09

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    Current: DR750S-2CH Dash Cam, USB Fast Charger in stock blank, Hondo Garage phone mount Previous: 2006 Black 2.7L 5-spd SR5 4x4 Access Cab - K&N Cold Air Intake, Modified Magnaflow Cat-back Exhaust, Altezza Tail Lights, Pop&Lock Tailgate Lock, Extang Trifecta Tonneau Cover, PIAA foglights with stock switch, DrawTite Hitch, OBX Shift Knob, Hood Protector, Vent Visors, DIY step bars, DIY Bed Lights, DIY Ground Lights, DIY Tailgate Electrical Box, Aftermarket switches in stock dash blanks, Sony Head Unit, Illuminated 4x4 switch mod
    That's to be expected because you're dealing with more torque differences and less momentum built up in the flywheel and trans/drivetrain in the lower gears. Once your up to speed, the momentum of the spinning components allows the synchros to mesh the gears more easily. There may be more complicated stuff going on in the setup of the trans, but torque imbalance is basically the reason.

5. Aug 26, 2010 at 7:52 AM
    mrdinh

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD SR5
    larry, i went to the local toyota dealership service to check out the sound...of course they said this sound and feel is not a prob...its a new truck and its breaking in...this will go away later...also this is prevention to not shift into 1st gear say at 30mph...

do you buy this explanation larry?

thanks

6. Aug 26, 2010 at 9:41 AM
    larryde09

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    I agree that new clutches take some time to break in. The pedal is harder to operate and may result in rougher operation. This may be why it "slams"...even if you try to operate the clutch smoothly, the stiff new clutch may operate rough anyway. It'll break in nicely, just keep at it and develop your technique.

I believe there is a protection device in the trans. It'd be difficult to shift into first because of the mismatched torque anyway, but it's possible there is a mechanism to prevent it too...not sure though.

Products Discussed in

To Top