LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Toyota Trucks & SUVs

Notices

clutch sound

Old 08-20-2010, 06:43 AM   #1
mrdinh is on a distinguished road
mrdinh's Tacoma Gallery
clutch sound

when i don't rev the engine in first gear past 3000rpm and i shift to 2nd gear...i hear a slam clutch sound...but if i go past 3000rpm or so i don't...is this normal to 2010 tacomas?

thanks
Old 08-20-2010, 07:08 AM   #2
larryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Vet: C-17 Avionics Engineer; Electrical Research Engineer
Name: Larry
larryde09's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure exactly what you're feeling, but I do feel a "clunk" if I improperly shift, which may be similar to what you're feeling. This is typically due to the differential speeds of the engine and the driveshaft/transmission. If you shift at too low of an RPM or don't sufficiently slip the clutch when shifting, the synchros can't do their job and the system will slam together resulting in a clunk and/or that lurching back and forth feeling. This is due to the mismatched torque on the shafts until they equal out. This can also be due to not pressing the clutch pedal all the way.

You should shift at ~3,000 RPM to get the shaft speeds close to prepare for the next gear, but if you shift at a lower RPM, I'd recommend making sure you fully depress the clutch and don't "drop" the clutch...make sure once you've depressed the clutch pedal you provide sufficient time for the synchros to prep for second gear, then shift into gear and smoothly let off the clutch.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:18 PM   #3
mrdinh's Tacoma Gallery
larry, thanks for the info...btw...this only happens between 1st & 2nd gear....
Old 08-20-2010, 02:00 PM   #4
larryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

That's to be expected because you're dealing with more torque differences and less momentum built up in the flywheel and trans/drivetrain in the lower gears. Once your up to speed, the momentum of the spinning components allows the synchros to mesh the gears more easily. There may be more complicated stuff going on in the setup of the trans, but torque imbalance is basically the reason.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:52 AM   #5
mrdinh's Tacoma Gallery
larry, i went to the local toyota dealership service to check out the sound...of course they said this sound and feel is not a prob...its a new truck and its breaking in...this will go away later...also this is prevention to not shift into 1st gear say at 30mph...

do you buy this explanation larry?

thanks
Old 08-26-2010, 09:41 AM   #6

I agree that new clutches take some time to break in. The pedal is harder to operate and may result in rougher operation. This may be why it "slams"...even if you try to operate the clutch smoothly, the stiff new clutch may operate rough anyway. It'll break in nicely, just keep at it and develop your technique.

I believe there is a protection device in the trans. It'd be difficult to shift into first because of the mismatched torque anyway, but it's possible there is a mechanism to prevent it too...not sure though.