1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Why did you (or will you) buy a Tacoma?

Discussion in 'Toyota Trucks & SUVs' started by Khaos, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Jul 2, 2008 at 12:55 PM
    Khaos

Khaos [OP] Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    What made you guys decide on buyign a Taco? I know a few of us have had more than one, what keeps you coming back to the Taco?

For me I wanted something reliable that I could use for off roading and going on the beach as well as towing an Jeep when I buy one (yay trail rig).

2. Jul 2, 2008 at 1:07 PM
    Banchi94

Banchi94 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Parker, CO
    Vehicle:
    2008 Indigo Blue TRD Sport DCSB 4x4
    ToyTec 3" basic lift
    I've always wanted a truck when I was growing up in Kodiak, AK, but for some reason, I never got one. I live in CO now and with all the camping, snowboarding, etc., this truck makes the most sense for me. Tacos have always had excellent ratings and my friends who owned them swear by them.

Also, I've always drooled over the black truck in "Back to the Future" when it came out in 1985. Toyotas forever!!! :proposetoast:

3. Jul 2, 2008 at 1:11 PM
    tacoskim

tacoskim Tuned By Gadget

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD 4x4 Pyrite Mica
    Stock
    my first vehicle ever was a taco and i fell in love. i beat the shit out of that thing on/off road and put over 200,000 miles on it and it never gave me a problem. since then im a taco owner till the day i die

4. Jul 2, 2008 at 1:42 PM
    Chomag

Chomag Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Antonio TX.
    Vehicle:
    05 4X4 TRD sport
    Flowmaster Org. 40
    I have allways loved the looks of both the 1'st and 2'nd Generations as far back as I can remeber while growing up. Just like Banchi94 I was in drool city when I saw that black toyota in "Back To The Futer". IT just took me about 18 years to finnaly get one lol

5. Jul 2, 2008 at 1:46 PM
    Banchi94

Banchi94 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Parker, CO
    Vehicle:
    2008 Indigo Blue TRD Sport DCSB 4x4
    ToyTec 3" basic lift
    I hear ya, Chomag! 23 years for me to finally get one!:eek:

6. Jul 2, 2008 at 1:51 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    I need a vehicle that I can beat the piss out of. :D

7. Jul 2, 2008 at 1:53 PM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    The circle of friends I run in, they pretty much all have them, and I was sick and tired of the attitude and poor quality of the domestics.

8. Jul 2, 2008 at 1:53 PM
    klown

klown Tacoma World Ring Leader

Member:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD sport 4x4 double cab 6-speed
    Black, leather and heated seats, borla sport exhaust, side curtain airbags, daytime running lights, all weather mats, JBL premium 6 disk changer system, stainless step tubes, window tint, tow package
    I bought the taco because I like tacos

9. Jul 2, 2008 at 3:27 PM
    Robbie

Robbie Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma 4 x 4
    Bed mat, seat cover.
    I had a Nissan 4 x 2 truck in '87 that I beat the hell out of. Was using it during my freelance years in NYC. Well, it lasted a bit over ten years. I was always pissed that I didn't get a 4 x 4. Well, after moving ti the Catskills, and retiring from the race of newspaper rats, I bought myself a gift which was the Toyota Tacoma which replaced my Saturn. Kind of a late midlife crisis gift. Built a deck with wood I hauled from the lumber yard...purchased a new bar-b-q which I hauled home...it goes on and on...me and my truck, oh and my dog and loving wife. Hum, maybe I should have listed the wife first! Oh, the 60's!

10. Jul 2, 2008 at 3:36 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    i bought mine on sheer reputation and the rugged good looks

i had been driving a ranger and had ZERO intentions of purchasing another...i test drove a colorado...but didnt really care for the "look"...i also test drove the newer frontiers...however i couldnt get what i wanted for the price i wanted...

all the while i was continuously test driving tacomas in various packages/ages

i figured out that i preferred the 1st gen and so i settled on finding a good xcab 4x4 01-04 with less than 100K for under $20K

it took me damn near 6 months...and this one squeeked thru on price ($19,900) but with 29K and being 3 years old...and having everything i wanted...put the down payment on it the day it showed up to the carmax columbia lot...had 3 people try to purchase it between then and when i picked it up the next day :eek:

11. Jul 2, 2008 at 3:43 PM
    08WhiteTRD

08WhiteTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Rocklin, NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2008 White 4x4 TRD Sport
    Fox Suspension 2.5 Front and 2.0 Rear, All-Pro Skids, BAMF LCA Skid, Leer 100R, Scangauge II, WeatherTech Floorliners, WeatherTech window visors, Satoshi grill with HomerTaco mesh, Sockmonkey Tailgate Decal, BHLM, Center Console lock, ImMrYo Rear-view bracket, Rally Armor mud flaps, Crawford Eco-Block, USA-Spec PA-15
    This is the first truck I have ever owned. The Air Force moved me up to Alaska and I needed something that I could depend on and have fun with. I have never heard anything but good about the Tacoma so I decided I just had to have one. Best decision ever made!!! Even after only having it for a couple months now I don't think I will ever go with anything else.

12. Jul 2, 2008 at 4:36 PM
    rhoppas

rhoppas Land of Oz

Member:
    Topeka, KS
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab V6 TRD Sport Tow
    Earnhardt Cannons, Terra Grapplers, Viper alarm, Hunter4x4 Bull Bar, 6" Pro Comp Off-Road lights, extra set of bed D-rings, Chrome exhaust tip, Metra Ipod/MP3 adapter, Garmin GPS, CarriageWorks grill, Maglite mounted to driver seat, 9" Stubbie Antenna, WeatherTech floor liners, Saddleman Neoprene seat covers, DeeZee bed mat
    I liked the looks of the taco (especially the hood scoop). The seats were very comfortable. The resale value can't be beat. The fuel economy is great for a truck.

13. Jul 2, 2008 at 4:50 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    When it comes to compact pickups - I wouldn't buy anything else.

I know a lot of folks do it - but I wouldn't necessarily tow a jeep with it. Get a Tundra for that. Seriously....
    I have a built jeep and used to have a trailer (1200lbs) and the whole kit & kaboodle was 6500lbs which is maxing out the tacoma towing capacity. Surely the Tacoma can do it - but that's a 'handful' in controllability and will push the transmission to the test.

I had a Grand Cherokee and then a Dodge Ram to tow with.

14. Jul 2, 2008 at 4:58 PM
    MurphMan

MurphMan Senility Rocks!

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    '08 Tacoma TRD Sport
    * AFE Stage 2 XP CAI System * Westin Platinum Series Black Step Bars * TruXedo Lo Pro QT Soft Roll-Up Tonneau * Dee Zee Heavyweight Truck Bed Mat * WeatherTech Extreme-Duty Floor Liners * WeatherTech In-Channel Window Visors * Sony Xplod CDX-GT81UW Receiver * Sony Xplod 2-way speakers * Boss Audio BASS600 Amplified Subwoofer * Billet Grille Mod
    Reputation, quality, styling, roominess, power, comfort, and approval from my dog.

15. Jul 3, 2008 at 3:44 AM
    missileman125fw

missileman125fw Well-Known Member

Member:
    There ain't no way in hell that I'm putting my dog in my Tacoma. That damn dog slobbers and drools more than I do!!

16. Jul 3, 2008 at 5:47 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD OR DC MGM
    Stock for now
    LOL :D

Why I bought a tacoma? A guy I knew had a Black 86 SR5 Xcab similiar to 4x4x4TRD's. Boy did I want I truck like that! I ended up purchasing a Silver 87 SR5 Turbo (22RTE). Believe it or not, after that driving toyota trucks became an addiction :D

I did for a short period of time (Jan-Mar 07) have a 2000 Nissan Pathfinder :eek: To put it not so lightly, that Nissan stunk & brought me to my senses & into my 06 Tacoma DC.

17. Jul 3, 2008 at 9:02 AM
    ph16drive

ph16drive \m/.....\m/

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Clevelandish
    Vehicle:
    08 DC, V6, 4x4, 5-Speed Auto
    Shorty antenna, Pop-&-Lock tailgate lock, Undercover bed cover, Aeroforce Interceptor gauge (custom mount), bed mat, AFE Pro Dry S air filter, map light mod, suspension TSB, Billy 5100's all around, Eibach springs, custom fuel tank armor plate, custom cat armor plate, painted front brake calipers, Grillcraft MX upper grill & Hella 500s, ipod adapter, dash pushbutton garage door opener, aux reverse lights, custom ipod nano 4G mount, seatbelt chime mod, custom bull bar w/ (3) Lightforce 140 Lance lights, POR-15 Chassis Coat Black drivetrain, illum 4x4 switch, xtra bed D-rings mod, locker anytime mod, diff breather relocation mod, ABS disable switch mod, Heated seats
    I needed something more reliable than domestics. I'm tired of fixing the domestics and now I'm to the point of wanting to spend more time with my kids than fixing cars/trucks. My parents have owned corollas for about 15+ years and I thought I'd give Toyota a try. I've not regretted it yet.

18. Jul 3, 2008 at 9:03 AM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    I bought a Taco so that I would fit in better around here.

19. Jul 3, 2008 at 9:04 AM
    famousfernando

famousfernando Well-Known Member

Member:
    oregon
    Vehicle:
    2007 tacoma trd package 6" fabtech l
    ever since i was little i wanted a jacked up toyta tacoma plus toyota are preety reliable:D

20. Jul 3, 2008 at 9:16 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    My wife wanted me to drive something safer as people were running me off the road in my Accord Coupe. I needed a truck. I needed a people carrier. I needed something to clear 2 feet of standing water. I needed something that could tow over 3,000 lbs.

I have always loved Toyota Trucks, and now I drive my dream vehicle. :D

Products Discussed in

To Top