Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Toyota Trucks & SUVs

Notices

The birth of the 4 door

Old 07-21-2008, 04:09 PM   #1
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
The birth of the 4 door

I was watching this t.v. show by the name of "The Desert Speaks" and they were in Peru. As they traversed the Amazon river they were being driven in Toyota Hilux's, 4 doors. Looked like stout trucks, pretty stock, with some light bars. My question is when did Toyota produce the first four door truck, and where. Was it off shore or was it here in America ? These 4 door trucks I saw looked older than what we have on shore, maybe one was early 90's and one was middle to late 90's.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:18 PM   #2
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
CJ, here's a good article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Hilux
Old 07-21-2008, 04:24 PM   #3
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks Humanoid, looks like 1998.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:19 AM   #4
Thinks he's Steve McQueen
squad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Marc
squad314's Tacoma Gallery
Cool article,thanks.....I see the Hilux name made it's debut in '68....just like me.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:59 AM   #5
Gene563 is a glorious beacon of lightGene563 is a glorious beacon of lightGene563 is a glorious beacon of lightGene563 is a glorious beacon of lightGene563 is a glorious beacon of lightGene563 is a glorious beacon of light

Marines: 1982-1988 Okinawa, Japan & Southern California
Name: Eugene
Gene563's Tacoma Gallery
There were 4 door Toyotas in Japan in 1985; I saw one when I was stationed in Okinawa. The one I saw was a work truck, owned by the "Nationals" that would come on base to work. Prior to that I had only seen what were called "Add-a-cabs", which were aftermarket extended cabs. Essentially, they added a section of frame and a fiberglass extended cab... pretty bogus.
At the time, I had seen 4 door cabs on big trucks like Internationals and whatnot, but the idea of a 4 door compact truck was brilliant.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene563 View Post
There were 4 door Toyotas in Japan in 1985; I saw one when I was stationed in Okinawa. The one I saw was a work truck, owned by the "Nationals" that would come on base to work. Prior to that I had only seen what were called "Add-a-cabs", which were aftermarket extended cabs. Essentially, they added a section of frame and a fiberglass extended cab... pretty bogus.
At the time, I had seen 4 door cabs on big trucks like Internationals and whatnot, but the idea of a 4 door compact truck was brilliant.
I concur, brilliant !
Old 01-11-2009, 04:14 PM   #7
higherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
higherlux's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to higherlux
no no no

the 79-83 model year was the first gen for the 4 door
i have a pic
Attached Thumbnails
The birth of the 4 door-9550_1.jpg  
Old 01-25-2009, 06:35 PM   #9
higherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
higherlux's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to higherlux
more 79-83 4-doors
Attached Thumbnails
The birth of the 4 door-83oz4door2.jpg   The birth of the 4 door-scott_hilux_03.jpg   The birth of the 4 door-ozrunner834door.jpg  
Old 01-25-2009, 06:50 PM   #10
DJ@LLX is on a distinguished road

Army: 203rd Trans Bat
DJ@LLX's Tacoma Gallery
back home in 1980s I remember seeing DC Toyota trucks and i always wonder why here in the US we did not had many of them.