Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Toyota Trucks & SUVs

Notices

hilux in the US?

Old 11-24-2010, 07:29 PM   #1
moderately modded
drifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant future

Name: Sam
drifter's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs down hilux in the US?

How hard would it be to get a used 4x4 Toyota Hilux in the U.S.? Also, what would be the price for one? I don't know much about them, seems like I heard that the diesel ones were not made for the U.S. *was any version made for us here in the U.S.?

hilux noob
Old 11-24-2010, 07:31 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Too much money and not worth it.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:34 PM   #3
moderately modded
drifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant future

drifter's Tacoma Gallery
bummer. I guess the only reason I really care is because it's a diesel. Someone told me the other day that a 4 cylinder diesel would have way more torque than a four cylinder *proper technical term inserted here* normal gas engine.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:37 PM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Diesel engines do produce more torque than similar gas engine.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:33 PM   #5
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota sells the double cab short bed 4x2 version in Mexico for 280K pesos ($22400 US). It's left-hand-drive and only available with the Taco's 2.7L I-4 and 5-speed manual.
http://www.toyota.com.mx/veh%EDculos...tas/hilux.aspx

You could theoretically buy one at a Mexican Toyota dealer close to the border and drive it back. The truck is made in Argentina, which isn't covered by NAFTA, so you might be required to pay the 25% chicken tax upon import.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:24 PM   #6
moderately modded

drifter's Tacoma Gallery
4x2 right hand drive? not worth it. thanks people
Old 11-30-2010, 10:31 PM   #7
Tbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tom
Tbird's Tacoma Gallery
I live just outside of El Paso, TX (on the Mexico border). Saw a Hilux in the parking lot of the west-side El Paso Best Buy this past Sunday. First time to see one in the states. I saw a lot of them this FEB and MAR when I was working in Australia. IT WAS A LEFT-HAND DRIVE...JUST LIKE OURS (the Australian Hilux's were right-hand drive). It had Mexican plates from the neighboring state of Chihuahua.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:36 PM   #8
Resident T100 guy
97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Melt
97T's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 97T
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
You could theoretically buy one at a Mexican Toyota dealer close to the border and drive it back. The truck is made in Argentina, which isn't covered by NAFTA, so you might be required to pay the 25% chicken tax upon import.
not a chance, half the ford ranger guys on another message board i used to be on would have driven back the crew cab ones by now if they were the case .... theres other things to take into account such as us crash standards
Old 11-30-2010, 11:46 PM   #9
tsab916 has a spectacular aura abouttsab916 has a spectacular aura abouttsab916 has a spectacular aura about

tsab916's Tacoma Gallery
If you just wanted the diesel engine I'm sure you can find a importer that can get you one at a reasonable price...my guess is that the diesel motor will still mate with the transmission from the 4cyl engines...

There is a place here in sacramento that is known to the import community called venus auto, this guy imports motors, parts, clips (a car cut in half), body parts (doors,trunks,hoods...etc) all from japan.

Incase if anyone is wondering why would anyone would buy parts from japan, its because like the diesel engine that's isn't made in the US and is different, body parts from japan looks different and will still bolt up correctly, it is still oem just looks different...

If anyone is interested I think I still have the numer to venus auto, pm me