Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Toyota Trucks & SUVs

Notices

Buy the new Tacoma or keep my old Tacoma?

Old 11-30-2010, 10:35 AM   #1
elblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant future

Name: Blake
elblako91's Tacoma Gallery
Buy the new Tacoma or keep my old Tacoma?

Christmas is coming around and I've been giving this a lot of thought. My situation is whether a new 4 door TRD tacoma would be worth getting over my current tacoma. I have a 92 extended cab 4x4 5 speed with the 3.0 liter only has 60,000 miles on it and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it, super reliable truck. Only thing I have done to it is slap on some off road lights and some BFG all terrains. My only complaint is that i wished it had more power (does 0-60 in 19 seconds or so) and at times more room and a little better gas milage. I'm in college right now so I don't want to deal with any engine swaps as this is my DD. It also seems that the older toyotas are more reliable? Should I just keep what I have now or look at the newer Tacoma's? Help? Picture of my rig

Old 11-30-2010, 11:37 AM   #2
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Just an FYI - that's not a tacoma. Tacoma's started in 95.5.

If there's nothing wrong with the truck - keep it!!!! It's a sweet truck. Why put yourself into car payments if you don't have to??
Old 11-30-2010, 11:40 AM   #3
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
x2. Your existing ride looks nice. Keep it. Lots of folks make the mistake of taking on too much debt too early in life, and struggle to pay it back.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:41 AM   #4
elblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant future

Aww man don't burst my bubble. I like to think of my truck as one even though it's a pickup And i won't have car payments. My parents will pay it all of in cash and I will pay them back all in full once I'm out of school.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:44 AM   #5
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
If it was me, I would sell it for either a 4 cyl pre taco (very hard to find with less than 100k miles though) or a first gen tacoma if you don't need a giant truck.

Yours is very clean, but the 3.0 scares me though.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:50 AM   #6
tacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacosupreme54's Tacoma Gallery
keep it. even if you got the new one, keep it. there is nothing wrong with it and it has low miles. these trucks are legendary for being BAMF's even if you put them through hell and if you sell it, you will regret it. especially when you get a new one and have those first few $400-500 payments. i would keep it as long as it ran, even ten years down the road it would be a nice little truck to go take off the trash, get firewood, or what have you. not putting down a new one by any means, they are great. but i say keep it, save up while you're in college and the first few years after college, then you can have a nice down payment on a new one.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:56 AM   #7

Don't get me wrong i love my toyota but i think the only thing is the power. Ha and i just convinced my dad to consider getting a new tacoma for christmas and now im second guessing myself. Guess he was right when he told me I couldn't make up my mind. Saw some vids of 1jzgte swaps in the pickups and they look sweet! Just don't know if I have the time and I'm scared it will come out as a disaster and this is my only DD/ college truck. I have to commute between Lubbock and Houston.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:18 PM   #8
The1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peps
The1youluv2hate's Tacoma Gallery
Keep it
Old 11-30-2010, 12:25 PM   #9
What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz? CHICKEN?
moto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
moto932's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
x2. Your existing ride looks nice. Keep it. Lots of folks make the mistake of taking on too much debt too early in life, and struggle to pay it back.
^^^^^this! save your money. plus, thats thing is sweet!
Old 11-30-2010, 01:58 PM   #10
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by elblako91 View Post
Saw some vids of 1jzgte swaps in the pickups and they look sweet! Just don't know if I have the time and I'm scared it will come out as a disaster and this is my only DD/ college truck. I have to commute between Lubbock and Houston.
Don't do it..... Keep her the way she is and she'll take care of you!!!

You're in college and you don't need the extra project or the headaches. Your mind & soul () needs to concentrate on your school work. THINK CAREER and more money to buy nicer (tacoma) things later on in life. SAVE now while you can.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Don't do it..... Keep her the way she is and she'll take care of you!!!

You're in college and you don't need the extra project or the headaches. Your mind & soul () needs to concentrate on your school work. THINK CAREER and more money to buy nicer (tacoma) things later on in life. SAVE now while you can.
Dad is that you on the other end . The smarter half of me tells me to do this the rebel half tells me to do otherwise. Sigh school does come first. Ok decision made I'm keeping her BUT I never said anything about keeping her stock
Old 11-30-2010, 02:15 PM   #12
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery

I would keep it (maybe forever) and get a newer truck when you are out of school and have a good job.

Old 11-30-2010, 03:50 PM   #13
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
Come up with a reasonable price. Add 50%, maybe even double it. Remove the front bull bar and you will have it sold in under 24 hours. That truck is clean as hell, 4WD, 5spd, and access cab. Basically the ultimate package for resale. If you lived in the same state I would be already on the road headed your way before you wised up and said no sale.

You are going to have a lot of expenses out of college. Get the job first and then consider a different vehicle.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:59 PM   #14
brettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
brettb's Tacoma Gallery
Dude keep that forsure!!!! You will love yourself for it!!!! Im going to keep mine and once im finacially settled I'll buy another one and keep my Taco Ill use it as an offroader or anything I need it to be. If you have the money, buy a engine that will work, and then have someone work on it over summer or a break or something
Old 11-30-2010, 04:03 PM   #15
MMMMM Taco's
Taco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Taco-NB's Tacoma Gallery
Don't get a new one. Keep an eye out for a 3 to 4 year old Tacoma.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:07 PM   #16
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JLink's Tacoma Gallery
Keep it AND get a new one. You need to have one to be able to mess up a little and one to keep clean!
Old 11-30-2010, 04:10 PM   #17
BBBsti LTD will become famous soon enough
BBBsti LTD's Tacoma Gallery
Keep it, put some miles and then you still keep it and buy a new truck
Old 11-30-2010, 04:15 PM   #18
chacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedchacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedchacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedchacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedchacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedchacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedchacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedchacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedchacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedchacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedchacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Travis
chacotaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by elblako91 View Post
only has 60,000 miles on it and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it, super reliable truck.
Supercharge!!!!
Old 11-30-2010, 04:18 PM   #19

I already told my folks that I'm keeping her. Thanks for changing my mind everyone . And sheesh if there were a supercharger for the 3.SLOW i would have already known about it and it would already be on my truck
Old 11-30-2010, 04:20 PM   #20
brettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
brettb's Tacoma Gallery
ENGINE SWAP WHEN YOU HAVE TIME! Idk if its possible but that thing would be FREAKING SWEET if you dropped a V8 in that bizz nitch.