Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Toyota Trucks & SUVs

Notices

shifting without clutch

Old 01-14-2011, 10:16 AM   #1
mrdinh is on a distinguished road
mrdinh's Tacoma Gallery
shifting without clutch

was told that this can be done...save the money of replacing the clutch...i don't do this...any recommendation?
Old 01-14-2011, 10:23 AM   #2
The Messiah
90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
90YotaPU's Tacoma Gallery
It can be done and will reduce wear on the clutch if done properly. If not done correctly, it'll wear on the clutch and synchros worse than using the clutch. As someone who's done it many times in 18-wheelers I can tell you I find it hard to do just right on my 4 cylinder Tacoma. I think it's due to the small engine.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:25 AM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Seriously just shift normally. Using your clutch normally isn't going to destroy it in 20 miles.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:26 AM   #4
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Your clutch takes a lot more wear from taking off than it does from shifting gears...

Can it be done? Sure...BUT WHY!?

If you drive a manual transmission properly, your clutch should last a very long time.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:29 AM   #5
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
I say just use the clutch its a lot cheaper to replace the clutch then rebuilding the gear box. If you want to shift with out a clutch buy an auto.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:30 AM   #6
sethr21785 is a splendid one to beholdsethr21785 is a splendid one to beholdsethr21785 is a splendid one to beholdsethr21785 is a splendid one to beholdsethr21785 is a splendid one to beholdsethr21785 is a splendid one to behold

Air Force: Missile Maint Tech, 2 Muns
Name: Seth
sethr21785's Tacoma Gallery
Even if you clutch wears out after 150k miles its a fun day project to replace and only sets you back a couple hundred bucks.. just use it
Old 01-14-2011, 10:42 AM   #7
snoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shed

snoope's Tacoma Gallery
WTF????

Syncro'd transmission, hydraulic clutch and you want to "play" 18-wheeler ???

After 30 ( yes 30 ) years of Toyotas, I have had 1 transmission noise (3rd gear sycros on our '81 Corolla SR5,wife would rest her arm on the "stick" while driving to work ) ; no clutch's or other tran's including teaching 2 teen-agers to drive since!!!!!

My "Office" has always been an over-size pick-up made by Peterbilt or Mack and "shifting" can be an "art" or a bad dream.....just ask the shop foreman .....Proper shifting technique is an "old timers" dream and explains why so many companies now have automatics...including ours....my current "Office" has an Allison 6 speed

SORRY .RANT over, they gave you a clutch.try to use it....
Old 01-14-2011, 11:35 AM   #8
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Lift on upshifts and blip the throttle to match revs on downshifts. It's doable but not worth the risk unless you are racing on the track (where you can maintain constant 8/10th concentration on just driving).

I actually haven't seen a manual 2nd gen. in person. Are the pedals spaced well for heel-and-toe?
Old 01-14-2011, 12:35 PM   #9
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
Lift on upshifts and blip the throttle to match revs on downshifts. It's doable but not worth the risk unless you are racing on the track (where you can maintain constant 8/10th concentration on just driving).

I actually haven't seen a manual 2nd gen. in person. Are the pedals spaced well for heel-and-toe?
Yep...I heel-toe downshift when I am slowing down/braking. It makes downshifting much smoother.

I have always heel toed my vehicles so it has become habit.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:47 PM   #10
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post

I heel toe in mine, but only with certain shoes, in my work shoes its like suicide.

Heel toe in the taco sucks cuz of drive by wire, its more like heel and pray the throttle goes up like u want it. In my wrx I can get it perfect every time, throttle cable ftw
Old 01-14-2011, 12:53 PM   #11
Hi-Tech Rednek
::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed

::childstoy::'s Tacoma Gallery
I used to do this all the time in an old S-10 I used to have...My clutch eventually went in that S-10 and knowing how to "air-shift" got me through the work week until I could rip the tranny out and do the clutch.

Knowing how to do it won't kill you in the event that you ever need to. But like the guys are saying above, its not worth it. You can really fubar your trans if done wrong.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:50 PM   #12
Public Servant Enemy #1
ISUGrad05 is on a distinguished road

ISUGrad05's Tacoma Gallery
I did this from time to time in my 94. Don't think I'll be doing the same in my 2011.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:53 PM   #13
IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2
TacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
TacoNut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoope View Post
WTF????

Syncro'd transmission, hydraulic clutch and you want to "play" 18-wheeler ???

what he said
Old 01-20-2011, 07:59 PM   #14
My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food
Monkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
Monkeysuncle's Tacoma Gallery
I had a vw van (bus ) clutch cable broke on the way to work. I just pulled off to the side of the road and smoked a bunch of pot. Then when I wanted to go home I reved each gear really high and when the transmission meshed into another gear I shifted. it works.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:57 PM   #15
moderately modded
drifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant future

Name: Sam
drifter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom View Post
still wonder how you got it moving from a stop!

with all the "raw power of the vw buss" and revving the engine and jamming into first gear would just stall the engine or spit the teeth out?
80 horsepower man, those things are sleepers.

lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzIshBeImFU?fs=1
Old 01-22-2011, 07:30 AM   #16
First I derp.. then I herp
mntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Aaron
mntbiker2008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
Your clutch takes a lot more wear from taking off than it does from shifting gears...

Can it be done? Sure...BUT WHY!?

If you drive a manual transmission properly, your clutch should last a very long time.
x2. I only put 2 clutches in my pre taco one at 50k and the other at 90k (it could have gone a lot longer though. The first blew on my dad when he had it.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:37 AM   #17
Public Servant Enemy #1
ISUGrad05 is on a distinguished road

ISUGrad05's Tacoma Gallery
I've had 2 Accords with 200,000+ miles, 85 Volvo w/145,000 and 94 yota truck with 116,000 and never had to replace a single clutch.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:53 AM   #18
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
I say just use the clutch its a lot cheaper to replace the clutch then rebuilding the gear box. If you want to shift with out a clutch buy an auto.
Well said!

For you guys who heel/toe, did that recall where they reflash the ECU affect you being able to do that? Just curious, I've got an auto so all the recall did to me was make brake stands impossible and the skinny pedal a little shorter....