Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Toyota Trucks & SUVs

Notices

2010 Consumer Reports

Old 01-16-2011, 12:25 AM   #1
BartStar is a glorious beacon of lightBartStar is a glorious beacon of lightBartStar is a glorious beacon of lightBartStar is a glorious beacon of lightBartStar is a glorious beacon of lightBartStar is a glorious beacon of light
BartStar's Tacoma Gallery
2010 Consumer Reports

I just dug out the 2010 Auto Issue (came out in March 2010)
I am slighly confused that Consumer Reports condemed Toyota cause of its bogus sticking throttle pedal problem, but at the same time gave high marks to those vehicles that was effected by the recal, BUT gave low marks to the 09 Tundra and the 09 Tacoma 4 cyl that never were effected by the recall??
Consumer Reports also gave higher marks to the Honda Ridgeline over the Toyota Tacoma where the Honda Ridgeline was horrible in its crash test results.
According to Consumer Reports its more important for a comfortable, quiet ride than getting killed in a crash?
( The Toyota Tacoma rated better than average in all the crash tests )
Old 01-16-2011, 01:08 AM   #2
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think that cp looks at stuff like recalls... that's usually not important as well as not known about when they do their testing
Old 01-16-2011, 01:37 AM   #3
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
CP's opinion was irrelevant to me. For a dishwasher, yeah I might consult it. But when it comes to purchasing a vehicle, they hardly stand out in the field of expert reviews. But most of all, when it came to buying a new truck I pored over user reviews. And when it comes to user reviews, Tacomas still kick ass.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:20 AM   #4
tacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, Cutterman
Name: Tom
tacomathom's Tacoma Gallery
I trust Consumer Reports auto testing over all other auto magazines because they buy the vehicles they test anonymously from dealers like we have to. No specially prepared freebies from the manufacturers. They don't accept advertising so they don't have to worry about pissing off Toyota or GM. Their recommendations are based on performance, reliability and safety. If a vehicle is part of a safety recall it's recommendation is suspended 'till the recall is resolved (they are safety-nazis after all). The Honda Ridgeline tests better than the Tacoma because it's really a car. As far as ride versus crash worthiness, well you put up with a crappy ride every day but might never get to crash test your truck.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:32 PM   #5
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Consumer Reports looks for:
Reliability
Interior room
Ride
Fuel economy
Bumper strength

Consumer Reports doesn't care about:
On-road performance
Towing ability
Off-road performance
Crash rating (they can't verify)
Styling

Base on CR's priorities, the Ridgeline is better. Then again, based on CR's priorities, we should all be driving Accords and Corollas.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:44 PM   #6
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
They test everything like it's a Camry... Even on 2500 diesel trucks they say things like "vague steering" and "harsh, jarring ride" and it is an "inconvenience to park" No shit, it's a truck. It drives like a truck. Use it as a truck.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:44 PM   #7
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
Reliability
Interior room
Ride
Fuel economy
Bumper strength

On-road performance
Towing ability
Off-road performance
Styling

Base on CR's priorities, the Ridgeline is better. Then again, based on CR's priorities, we should all be driving Accords and Corollas.
Hit the nail on the head. CR's primary goal is to pick up the kids from school. They think that trucks are just "really big cars"
Old 01-23-2011, 10:21 AM   #8
tacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, Cutterman
Name: Tom
tacomathom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
Reliability
Interior room
Ride
Fuel economy
Bumper strength

On-road performance
Towing ability
Off-road performance
Styling

Based on CR's priorities ALL vehicles should perform as well as an Accord or a Corolla, including trucks and SUVs.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:28 AM   #9
BartStar is a glorious beacon of lightBartStar is a glorious beacon of lightBartStar is a glorious beacon of lightBartStar is a glorious beacon of lightBartStar is a glorious beacon of lightBartStar is a glorious beacon of light
BartStar's Tacoma Gallery
I can't understand why Consumer Reports condemed ONLY the 2009 Tacoma 4 cyl, but NOT any other year of the same truck with same engine?
But there are no black marks on the 09 4 cyl???
I think Consumer Reports is using Toyota as a scape goat, they are too afraid to be critizied as being in love with Toyota and Honda, so they have to save face by picking one year, one model as a bad choice.
Saftey is important to me, #2 is gas mileage, #3 is 4 wheel drive, and #4 is hauling and towing, thats why I picked the Tacoma, also I love the resale value since I get a new truck almost every other year, i'm not worried if later I learn to hate the Tacoma cause I will just trade it in on another truck, but so far I love this truck and so far its a keeper.