Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Toyota Trucks & SUVs

Notices

Has anyone else had this problem?

Old 01-29-2011, 07:39 AM   #1
ARFireFighter22 is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
ARFireFighter22's Tacoma Gallery
Has anyone else had this problem?

It happened again this morning. I have a 2010, 4x4 tacoma with a 3" lift. EVERYTIME I wash it AND it's cold outside, the next morning it will not shift. Let me take that back, it will shift but the truck will not move. It's almost like the axle or gears are frozen. When it does finally come "undone" (usually after many revs of the engine & warming up) it makes an awful "pop" This can't be good. I live in Arkansas & I think it got down to about 40 last night maybe. I have no idea why this happens. Anyone have any suggestions? Thank you....
Old 01-29-2011, 07:43 AM   #2
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Eh... I have no idea. Where I live, we get MUCH colder than that and I have never had a shifting issue up to this point. Does it happen every time it gets cold?
Old 01-29-2011, 07:44 AM   #3
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Had this happen one time. Think it was my p-brake freezing.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:45 AM   #4
brow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud of

Name: Andy
brow's Tacoma Gallery
yeah, something else is going on there, not really sure what. I have been starting my truck in -15 deg. this winter with no issues, the clutch moves a little slower, but it doesn't have any actual problems with shifting the gears.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:51 AM   #5
Firefighter:
It only happens after I wash it and it's cold outside. So that's why I thought something maybe freezing. This morning it took almost 20 minutes for it to move. I spun my back tires several times with no luck. This is probably the 3rd time this has happened in only a year & a half.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:54 AM   #6
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARFireFighter22 View Post
It only happens after I wash it and it's cold outside. So that's why I thought something maybe freezing. This morning it took almost 20 minutes for it to move. I spun my back tires several times with no luck. This is probably the 3rd time this has happened in only a year & a half.
Oh!!!! My best guess is that it is probably your rear brakes freezing. I have heard of a couple people this has happened to. Though I am probably of no help as I don't have any personal experience with this issue though.

Who washes their truck in the middle of winter anyway!? lol
Old 01-29-2011, 07:57 AM   #7
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARFireFighter22 View Post
stop washing her when its cold out.....lol
she no likey that
Old 01-29-2011, 08:06 AM   #8
toyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
toyotatacomaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
It is the brakes... It happens to mine almost every time I wash my truck in the winter.

2 weeks ago, I washed my truck and left it for 3 days, when I went to back up, I had to actually give it gas for it to even move.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:33 AM   #9
Firefighter:
OK thanks everyone... the brakes are the likely culprit! That sounds like what it may be. It was 62 here yesterday! Took the one & only nice day to get all the salt & grim off of her! I appreciate the help.....