Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Toyota Trucks & SUVs

Notices

Front end locked up while in 4 wheel in snow. why???

Old 01-31-2011, 01:42 PM   #1
Detjensyota is on a distinguished road
Name: mike
Detjensyota's Tacoma Gallery
Front end locked up while in 4 wheel in snow. why???

I was in my 4x4 tacoma in about 7inches of snow driving about 15 miles per hr while in 4 wheel drive when all the sudden my front end locked up and i started to slide. I slammed in the clutch and about had a heart attack. I can still drive in 2 wheel drive but if i try to put it in 4x it wont budge . oh Man what did i doooooo.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:08 AM   #2
rednecktaco will become famous soon enough

rednecktaco's Tacoma Gallery
My guess broken ring gear or pinion
Old 02-01-2011, 09:18 AM   #3
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Crawl under the truck and start poking around. Is the front drive shaft intact? Are the u-joints OK? Put it in neutral....grab the front driveshaft and spin it with your hands. Does it spin freely? Put it in 4WD and spin the driveshaft by hand - what does it do?

Shift it back-n-forth from 2WD & 4WD - what does it do? Is the 4WD light still on in 4WD? do you hear anything when shifting? Is it hard to shift?
Old 02-01-2011, 04:26 PM   #5
thanks janster ill try and get back to you on whats going on. i appreciate all insight on this . It will shift in and out of 4wheel drive and the 4wheel drive light does come on but once it is in 4wheel drive it will not move forward or backward.The front drive shaft is intact and the u-joints are ok.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:27 PM   #6
If it is the front ring and pinion is it easier or harder than doin the rear. I have replaced the rear myself and it was not so simple.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:29 PM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
You need to remove the front diff to work on it. The rear is easier since it is just a 3rd member.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:05 PM   #8
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detjensyota View Post
thanks janster ill try and get back to you on whats going on. i appreciate all insight on this . It will shift in and out of 4wheel drive and the 4wheel drive light does come on but once it is in 4wheel drive it will not move forward or backward.The front drive shaft is intact and the u-joints are ok.
The truck won't move at all in 4WD?? Are your wheels straight? Have you tried rocking it back-n-forth?

Have you tried engaging 4LO - just to see if it'll move?

Something else to try - remove the front driveshaft and drive in 4WD.