Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Toyota Trucks & SUVs

Notices

'84 Yota SR5 (Supra engine swap) - Worth it?

Old 02-04-2011, 04:02 AM   #1
Adjunct Anarchist
Papa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Radio Operator
Name: Papa Tac
Papa Tac's Tacoma Gallery
'84 Yota SR5 (Supra engine swap) - Worth it?

1984 Toyota Pickup 4x4 SR5 (Supra engine swap) $9,500.00

http://www.nlclassifieds.com/classif.../Toyota/558286

What does the hivemind think? Is this rig worth the cash?
I've been debating a Quad or skidoo, but came to think that with this toy I could play any time of year. Not so much crazy stuff, mostly getting backcountry and some light offroading. Thinking about Wifey's comfort too.
I'm a rookie to the true Offroad scene, and know that opinions here count.
So, would you do this?

Old 02-04-2011, 05:42 AM   #2
mytattootears has a spectacular aura aboutmytattootears has a spectacular aura about
Name: ramon
mytattootears's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't buy it, the most I would pay would be 6gs. Plus a supra engine should have stayed on the supra, trucks are not race cars
Old 02-04-2011, 05:53 AM   #3
detnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
detnight's Tacoma Gallery
great engine but very hard on head gaskets. I have bought my son two Supras 88 and 90 replaced engines in both due to over heading after head blew.................
Old 02-04-2011, 06:00 AM   #4
Xbox GT: Yodaman8806
Underdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Ground Support Shop Foreman/HAZMAT NCO, 1916 SPT BTN, 699th Maintenance Co.
Name: Matt
Underdog777's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytattootears View Post
I wouldn't buy it, the most I would pay would be 6gs. Plus a supra engine should have stayed on the supra, trucks are not race cars
I agree. For a toy like that def. not paying 9g's. 6 is still a little high. Speed isn't everything off road depending on terrain, and a supra engine might lead to an accident if it's froggish.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:06 AM   #5
v.hey its my Avatar avatar.v
ak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
ak47's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't buy anyone elses junk!
Old 02-04-2011, 06:07 AM   #6
Adjunct Anarchist
Papa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks for the input, guys.
I also thought the price high, but that seems normal around here - everybody wants top dollar for their shit, and won't pay when they're buying. A$$holes everywhere I guess.
Thanks for the engine info - good to know.
Guess I'll keep looking around
Cheers
Old 02-04-2011, 06:14 AM   #7
84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
84Hilux's Tacoma Gallery
Supra engine would be a lot more powerful than the 22R that is stock for that truck. It would be a great offroad vehicle- but it would ride like a buck board. I had a hard time getting girls to ride in my 84, because the ride is harsher than any other vehicle I have driven. Amazing offroad performance- did not even consider babying it like I do with my Tacoma. I owned my 84 for 5 years of hard offroading and never needed to do an alignment once.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:20 AM   #8
84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
84Hilux's Tacoma Gallery
$9500 seems pretty high- I got mine for $4000 in 1998. If you are seriously looking at it check the frame for rust near the bend in front of the rear spring mounts. The only thing that does these trucks in is frame break just ahead of where the rear leafs mount. Also, with the flat deck on the back, it would probably not have much weight on the rear tires. Rear ends like to skid out on these even with the steel bed.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:40 AM   #9
Adjunct Anarchist

Once again, thanks for the great advice everyone!
I'm keeping my options open, maybe look at a late 90's-early 00's 4Runner or even Pathfinder. I just want to save my Taco for a few more years before I start really playing hard with her - still a daily driver.
Cheers
Old 02-23-2011, 01:29 PM   #10
Darian23 is on a distinguished road
Name: Darian
Darian23's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't pay $9,500. I would pay $4,000-$4,500. Speed isn't everything. I have a 22R with a 20R decked head (the 20R head gives more compression). But it does just fine. It isn't the fastest but it gets me everywhere and does great offroad.