Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Toyota Trucks & SUVs

Notices

Tire size for spedometer calibration

Old 03-24-2011, 07:59 AM   #1
MPG? LOL
sean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
sean266's Tacoma Gallery
Tire size for spedometer calibration

Hello! Newb here with a 09 Tacoma TRD double cab, 5spd auto, rear lockers, a-trac. I'm looking at putting 32" Hancook tires on 17" Procomp wheels here shortly and want to know if I will need to have my speedometer calibrated?? What about gears?
Old 03-24-2011, 08:18 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
tire calculator
You shouldn't have to regear unless it's for personal preference or for a specific use (towing, off roading, etc). Obviously you'll lose a little power with the larger tires but it won't be a dog. This link will tell you how far off your speedo will be with your new tires.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:12 AM   #4
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Weird...

My speedo was off by 3 mph (too fast) with the stock 265/70-16 Rugged Trails. When I put on the 1" taller 265/75-16 Dynapros, it was spot on.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:58 PM   #5
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
Weird...

My speedo was off by 3 mph (too fast) with the stock 265/70-16 Rugged Trails. When I put on the 1" taller 265/75-16 Dynapros, it was spot on.
Have you verified your speed with a GPS?

The speedo that you see on your dash isn't necessarily accurate. I know my computer (ECU) is accurate againest GPS, but the speedometer that I see on the dash is 2mph fast. I have a Scanguage that reads the ECU.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:12 PM   #6
MPG? LOL
sean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
sean266's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys! Are dealerships the only one who can calibrate a speedometer? What would it cost to get that done?
Old 03-24-2011, 05:22 PM   #7
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Have you verified your speed with a GPS?
Of course, how else would I know it was off?