Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Toyota Trucks & SUVs

Notices

Benefits of Cold Air Intake??

Old 03-28-2011, 09:56 AM   #1
AmorLacrimosus is on a distinguished road

Name: C.J.
AmorLacrimosus's Tacoma Gallery
Benefits of Cold Air Intake??

I recently just purchased a 2006 Toyota Tacoma access cab TRD SR5. I am receiving mixed information about the benefits and downfalls of putting a cold air intake in my truck. Several people are saying that it will increase my horsepower, and increase my gas mileage, while others are saying that it's a waste of money that it won't help anything and it will be a waste of money. I honestly have no idea, I don't know too much about intakes, and I don't want to waste my money. I wanted to see what you guys think/know from experience.

Would it be worth the investment to put in a K&N 77 series cold air intake, or should I just leave it stock??

THANKS!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Benefits of Cold Air Intake??-truck.jpg  
Old 03-28-2011, 10:08 AM   #2
Rhum.
RugbyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRugbyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRugbyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRugbyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRugbyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRugbyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRugbyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRugbyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRugbyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRugbyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRugbyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT-B
Name: Paul
RugbyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah that can be a bit confusing. You will get an increase in HP but nothing mindblowing. Thats why alot folks here are kinda "eh" about them. Its a cost thing, many dont think the benefits are worth the cost. Plus these trucks basically have a CAI stock. Id recommend getting an AFE Pro dry drop in air filter first. I got one and im quite happy with it. If you feel you want the aftermarket CAI go for it
Old 03-28-2011, 10:10 AM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
The stock intake is cold air. An aftermarket intake will make more noise and get you a slight increase of powere that you will not feel. Search around and you will see many threads about intakes.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:14 AM   #4
MadeInMaine
MadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Owen
MadeInMaine's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MadeInMaine
Hey CJ

I bought an 05 TRD double cab.... and after a few months, I put in the TRD CAI.

It gives more growl...
More responsiveness...
More power...

none of these are crazy amounts, but it is noticable.

Im glad I installed mine.

Cheers and good luck
Old 03-28-2011, 10:19 AM   #5
MadeInMaine
MadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Owen
MadeInMaine's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MadeInMaine
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...e-k-n-cai.html
Old 03-28-2011, 10:25 AM   #6
McGrubber
woody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Blacksheep of the DOD
Name: Beau
woody6047's Tacoma Gallery
It sounds cool

I think thats the same one im running
Old 03-28-2011, 10:26 AM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeInMaine View Post

That is a hot air intake.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:28 AM   #8
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Student Pilot
Name: Nick
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
That is a hot air intake.
lol. but true.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:34 AM   #9

Thanks Guys!

I'm trying to get the best mileage out of my truck, I am not too concerned about HP since I try not to do anything crazy with it lol.

Sound does not bother me, I plan on putting on an exhaust to make it louder anyway.

I guess I'll try out just getting a filter first and see how much of an improvement I get out of it.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:36 AM   #10
Banned
The best way to get better MPG out of your truck is to change your driving habits. There is no mod or series of mods that will dramatically increase MPG.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:38 AM   #11

I drive pretty well. I do speed, but only with the flow of traffic. just seeing if there was anything extra i could do to help it. Thank you!
Old 03-28-2011, 10:38 AM   #12
delrayrasta is a splendid one to beholddelrayrasta is a splendid one to beholddelrayrasta is a splendid one to beholddelrayrasta is a splendid one to beholddelrayrasta is a splendid one to beholddelrayrasta is a splendid one to behold

delrayrasta's Tacoma Gallery
i have the CAI AFE dry and it give you better response and possibly a few extra HP (not that i want to find out because gas is so damn expensive) i had it on my other truck with exhaust. exhaust i feel is useless and CAI is not really needed but is nice to have if you can shell out the money. plus it makes a nice grunt that makes it worth it. honestly it all about if you have the extra money and can't think of anything else to spend it on.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:52 AM   #13

Now, If I plan to get an exhaust eventually, I am being told that the CAI is needed with exhaust, is this true? This is so frustrating haha
Old 03-28-2011, 10:55 AM   #14
Banned
Not true. Also you already have a cold air intake.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:59 AM   #15
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
the best mpg mod I have done to my truck is by going 65 on the highway rather than 70. keeping your rpm's at or under 2,000rpm's is the best thing you can do.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:46 PM   #16

Thanks for all the help!!
Old 03-28-2011, 12:47 PM   #17
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmorLacrimosus View Post
Thanks Guys!

I'm trying to get the best mileage out of my truck, I am not too concerned about HP since I try not to do anything crazy with it lol.

Sound does not bother me, I plan on putting on an exhaust to make it louder anyway.

I guess I'll try out just getting a filter first and see how much of an improvement I get out of it.
Look into a snorkel if you want increased MPG's.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:57 PM   #18
delrayrasta is a splendid one to beholddelrayrasta is a splendid one to beholddelrayrasta is a splendid one to beholddelrayrasta is a splendid one to beholddelrayrasta is a splendid one to beholddelrayrasta is a splendid one to behold

delrayrasta's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
Look into a snorkel if you want increased MPG's.
i didn't know snorkels would give better mpg than CAI.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:58 PM   #19
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by delrayrasta View Post
i didn't know snorkels would give better mpg than CAI.
It's a larger CAI. We have members reporting 40 more miles to the tank after install.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:02 PM   #20

Marines:
Here is the thread where they are gathering data with the snorkel.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/per...n-ss170hf.html