F-150 Man

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-23-2008, 10:10 AM   #1
Banned
nocarsallowed can only hope to improve
nocarsallowed's Tacoma Gallery
Red face F-150 Man

Been looking at your forum . I'm a Ford guy so be nice
Been with Ford Ranger and F-150 for past 13 years since I was 22. I have F-150 now and with gas prices the way they are I have to go back to mid-sized.
So far haven't had probs with my Fords until they started to age. I'm now looking at Toyotas.
I want the Tacoma access cab or another Ford Ranger access cab and I can't make up my mind. I'm little hard on trucks specially on highways. Would like to know if you tacoma owners have to do a lot of repairs from aging, if so what kind of repairs/problems?
Plz...no salesmen! I want to hear from consumers.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:14 AM   #2
It's TACO time!
DFPTaco has a spectacular aura aboutDFPTaco has a spectacular aura about

Name: Josh
DFPTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Taco now, and my last truck was an 05 Ranger Edge extra cab. The tacos are larger and are amazing. I love my taco. I loved my ranger but I love love my taco. Well not "love love" cause that would be wierd and I'm sure hurt. My point is I really like the taco, get a taco.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:15 AM   #3
missileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shed
missileman125fw's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocarsallowed View Post
Been looking at your forum . I'm a Ford guy so be nice
Been with Ford Ranger and F-150 for past 13 years since I was 22. I have F-150 now and with gas prices the way they are I have to go back to mid-sized.
So far haven't had probs with my Fords until they started to age. I'm now looking at Toyotas.
I want the Tacoma access cab or another Ford Ranger access cab and I can't make up my mind. I'm little hard on trucks specially on highways. Would like to know if you tacoma owners have to do a lot of repairs from aging, if so what kind of repairs/problems?
Plz...no salesmen! I want to hear from consumers.
Welcome to TacomaWorld!
I've had my Tacoma for about a year and haven't had any problems. I've always had Chevys but when the 05 Tacoma came out, I was sold. I don't think you'll regret leaving Ford.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:15 AM   #4
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
The only the aging would have been my tires thats all these trucks are solid, are you looking for new or used?
Old 09-23-2008, 10:16 AM   #5
Living vicariously through mjp2
eordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ed
eordonez's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to the Forums!

Well im liking my Tacoma a lot i've had it for about 6 months now, gas is getting better, cause im getting used to it, coming from a 4cyl 2.0l car

What kind of engine you are looking into? 4 or 6 cyl??
Old 09-23-2008, 10:37 AM   #7
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
My Dad had several Fords when I was growing up, I've always thought Ford built one hell of a truck. He had two Explorer Sport Tracs (one 4x4, one 4x2). Great little trucks. I would love to have one, but I like my Taco way more.

I bought my Tacoma because of its reputation as being a reliable truck and an off road beast. Don't let its off road ability fool you, its great on the highway. Tons of acceleration, smooth ride, and great gas mileage. I average 20-21MPG in my V6, and thats saying something.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:46 AM   #8
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
welcome to tw!!!! i was a ford guy too.........i still like ford, and especially the ford trucks, but i really dislike the new body style they gave the f150 in 2004. anyway, i switched over to toyota from a 2002 f150, and honestly, i'll never look back. toyota's just last, can be put thru ever living torture, and still they keep going. my f150 was decent...as i did a few good power mods for it, but the tranny shitted at 1k miles after the warranty ran out, and ford basically told me to piss off...even though i let them do the tranny services. so i came over to toyota, and having the tacoma(had an 06 before my 04), i have peace of mind that i have one of the best trucks on the road.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:58 AM   #9
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
I had a 2000 Tacoma, I loved it, and never had any major probleems. I also like the newer body style and was impressed enough with the quality that I bought a 2008 doublecab. I would say that they tires are not up to the quality of the rest of the truck however that is easily changed.

-Dan
Old 09-23-2008, 11:04 AM   #10
PhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Civil Air Patrol (US Air Force Auxiliary)
PhoenixCadet's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to PhoenixCadet
Quote:
Would like to know if you tacoma owners have to do a lot of repairs from aging, if so what kind of repairs/problems?
Dad's got a '97 single cab I4 (manual) - got it brand new. He uses it for daily commute to work (60+ miles round trip) every day, and is currently using it for re-doing our house. Almost 12 years old, 164,000+ miles on it, no problems at all.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:31 AM   #11
Stock Taco For Now
311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
311offroad's Tacoma Gallery
My dad has a 94 4x4 that we use around our land (haulin seed, tools, etc) That thing runs like its BRAND NEW, and looks like it too! Also has the coldest A/C Ive ever experienced.

My 05 is incredible. I am coming from a Lexus IS300 and i swear the Tacoma rides better and is more comfortable. You CANT go wrong with a TACO
Old 09-23-2008, 11:49 AM   #12
Tuned By Gadget
tacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoskim's Tacoma Gallery
welcome to TW!
are you seriously here asking our opinion between the best truck against a FORD RANGER??

thats like asking whats better, a tasty steak, or dog shit
Old 09-23-2008, 12:21 PM   #13
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester243 View Post
I had a 2000 Tacoma, I loved it, and never had any major probleems. I also like the newer body style and was impressed enough with the quality that I bought a 2008 doublecab. I would say that they tires are not up to the quality of the rest of the truck however that is easily changed.

-Dan
any probs at all with 00 tac? What parts did you have to replace? I don't really care about the tires either. If I can squeeze over 50,000 miles on them, I'll be happy.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:23 PM   #14
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixCadet View Post
Dad's got a '97 single cab I4 (manual) - got it brand new. He uses it for daily commute to work (60+ miles round trip) every day, and is currently using it for re-doing our house. Almost 12 years old, 164,000+ miles on it, no problems at all.
I actually wanted to identify the common problems the tacoma has from aging. I never bought Toyota before so I don't know.
Can you drill your dad what problems if any at all (not wear and tear of course). Surely his truck must have had some kind of transmission/suspension/radiator/engine prob with that amount of miles.
My last Ford Ranger didn't last 120,000 miles without repair. It cannot be possible that a 97 truck can last without repair. Ask him please! Thanks.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:27 PM   #15
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoruptTaco View Post
My dad has a 94 4x4 that we use around our land (haulin seed, tools, etc) That thing runs like its BRAND NEW, and looks like it too! Also has the coldest A/C Ive ever experienced.

My 05 is incredible. I am coming from a Lexus IS300 and i swear the Tacoma rides better and is more comfortable. You CANT go wrong with a TACO

can you ask your dad of any common probs that he knows about? thx.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:28 PM   #16
Tuned By Gadget
tacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoskim's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
can you ask your dad of any common probs that he knows about? thx.

only common problem is the rusted frame when choosing the 1st gen
Old 09-23-2008, 12:34 PM   #17
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoskim View Post
welcome to TW!
are you seriously here asking our opinion between the best truck against a FORD RANGER??

thats like asking whats better, a tasty steak, or dog shit
lol no. The ranger is a good truck and cheap! also cheap to repair. but repairs kind of a pain. I want a long lasting truck for the next 10 yrs with minimal repairs needed. My F-150 has 115,000 miles and it is starting to need repairs....don't want to go through that again.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:34 PM   #18
Aspiring wrench monkey
TacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of light

TacoCo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
My last Ford Ranger didn't last 120,000 miles without repair. It cannot be possible that a 97 truck can last without repair. Ask him please! Thanks.
It is with Toyota. My prior Toyota to my Tacoma was a '98 4Runner... I put 215k miles on it over 11 years before I sold it, and the only thing I had to replace that wasn't standard maintenance (ie. tires, battery, brake pads, belts, etc.) was the starter at about 180k miles. What's even more telling is that I sold it for $5k in less than a week! I bet you can't do that with a Ford Ranger that's got 215k miles on it.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:44 PM   #19
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
1 of the many reasons we are die hard Toyota fans is their phenominal reliabillity. It is quite normal to put 150-200k miles on these trucks without major repairs. My 02 has close to 130k with no problems. This is why they hold their resale value. I paid 13k for a truck with 103k miles on it and I have absolutely no regrets. It is worth every penny I paid for it.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:55 PM   #20
Tman is on a distinguished road

Navy: Chief Radioman (RMC SW)
Tman's Tacoma Gallery
I have had both, a Ranger and Tacoma. I liked my Ranger...I love my Tacoma

Products Discussed in this Thread