Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Toyota Trucks & SUVs

Notices

Tacoma redesign for 2013 model!

Old 09-26-2008, 12:05 PM   #1
No Better Friend, No Worse Enemy
Teufel Hunden will become famous soon enoughTeufel Hunden will become famous soon enough

Marines: Sergeant, USMC, last unit: 3rd Batt./4th Mar., 7th Mar. Reg., 1st Mar. Div., Twentynine Palms, CA
Teufel Hunden's Tacoma Gallery
Tacoma redesign for 2013 model!

I have seen a few threads speculating about when the next redesign of the Tacoma will be. I recently found this article at the following website: http://www.toyoland.com/future.html I should warn you that I don't know how accurate it is, and the writers may be speculating themselves. Also, please note that the years listed in the article are the model years, and not the actual physical years. So, the 2013 Tacoma should be released sometime in 2012. The article was updated on September 8, 2008, and here is the portion that concerns Toyota trucks, the Tacoma information is about halfway through the article:

Toyota Truck Updates

The Toyota Tundra has an optional 381 horsepower V8, beating every domestic truck engine in horsepower (the Dodge by 1 hp), and is a true American-style full-sized pickup. Built in the United States, it may get a heavy duty model (three-quarter or full ton), necessary for that “macho” image so important to American commuters, in three or four years. In the meantime, a new 4.6 liter V8 will become the base engine in 2010, adding around 30 hp and 2 mpg.

The big 5.7 liter V8 is also be used in the Lexus LX570 and probably the next generation Land Cruiser.

The Tundra may benefit from Toyota’s acquisition of chunks of Isuzu; the Isuzu diesel engineers are far more advanced than those at Toyota, and were the main brains behind the successful GM Duramax engines. A diesel engine using Isuzu technology should end up in the Tundra sooner rather than later - possibly at about the same time GM and Dodge bring out their diesel-powered 1500 models. For serious American fleet buyers, the diesel is a very popular option, because it requires less maintenance, provides more grunt, and consumes far less fuel, cutting fuel bills nearly in half in some cases (and farmers can make their own biodiesel). Again, diesels also boost the “rough and tough” image.

The Tacoma is due for redesign in 2013.

Despite a bigger Sequoia taking over the Land Cruiser's market position, the Land Cruiser itself will hold on, supported by international sales, with a redesign scheduled for 2009. At that time, the 5.7 liter engine is likely to appear with 380 horsepower; the fancy Land Cruiser, or Lexus LX570, already uses that engine.

The FJ Cruiser was scheduled for a 2012 redesign, but it may simply be dropped due to falling sales.

The new Sequoia will take advantage of all Tacoma upgrades, and will also reportedly feature a new independent rear suspension. Interior space should increase as well. It is to be made larger and more powerful - following the Tundra it’s based on. Like the Tundra, it will get a new 4.6 liter V8 in 2010.

The 4Runner, just redesigned for 2006, will be re-engineered again for 2010.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:43 PM   #3
ban the term murdered out
OU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gas Turbine Elec
Name: danusa
OU812's Tacoma Gallery
I noticed not much of anything was said regarding the Tacoma's drivetrain updates. However the article talks about the Tundra getting a diesel. How come the Tacoma can't benefit from this. I think the US market is ready for light duty small diesels despite the higher cost of diesel fuel for the time being.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:56 PM   #4
CometKat is a jewel in the roughCometKat is a jewel in the roughCometKat is a jewel in the rough
CometKat's Tacoma Gallery
It seems it took until 2008 to finally get this truck right. So the soonest Id be buying a new one would be 2016.
Old 09-27-2008, 05:30 PM   #5
No Better Friend, No Worse Enemy
Teufel Hunden will become famous soon enoughTeufel Hunden will become famous soon enough

Marines: Sergeant, USMC, last unit: 3rd Batt./4th Mar., 7th Mar. Reg., 1st Mar. Div., Twentynine Palms, CA
Teufel Hunden's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCBulldog View Post
Great find!!! That's a long way off still... so I'm not worried
Same here! I was a little worried when I was deciding to buy my Tacoma that a newer design would be coming out in the next couple of years. I was debating if I should wait to make my purchase or not. Now that I know the redesign is a long ways off, I'm glad I got my Tacoma when I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OU812 View Post
I noticed not much of anything was said regarding the Tacoma's drivetrain updates. However the article talks about the Tundra getting a diesel. How come the Tacoma can't benefit from this. I think the US market is ready for light duty small diesels despite the higher cost of diesel fuel for the time being.
I agree completely. I would definitely buy a Tacoma with a diesel!
Old 09-27-2008, 05:43 PM   #6
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
I very seriously doubt we will ever see a Diesel Taco in the US. Toyota has already cancelled their plans to build a Diesel Tundra and is putting the ABAT into production. Add that in with the soon to be end of the FJC, I'm highly disappointed with Toyota.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:12 PM   #7
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
^I don't entirely agree with that. If diesels take off here, I believe we will see a diesel Tacoma. They already have it overseas in the Hilux so it wouldn't be much of a stretch for them to bring it here, I don't think. Sure, there will be some changes that have to be made for it to meet emissions regs but Mercedes did it with their Bluetec so why not Toyota?
Old 09-28-2008, 09:38 AM   #8
Tail Gunner is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard:
Tail Gunner's Tacoma Gallery
I wonder if the tacoma redesign will have an optional V8 like the 4-runner does. I want a V8, but dont want to get that big ass tundra that comes with it and dont want to give up my mid size TRUCK for an SUV.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:30 AM   #9
CometKat is a jewel in the roughCometKat is a jewel in the roughCometKat is a jewel in the rough
CometKat's Tacoma Gallery
Why would you need a V8 in a Tacoma? Everybody raves about how much power the V6 has. Even the I4 is more than adequate. Anyway, five years from now $4 gas will probably be the norm so a hybrid Tacoma would be more likely than a V8 Tacoma. As WilsonTheDog alluded to, a diesel could also make sense. Here’s an idea, how about making the truck lighter. Does the truck really have to weight between 3600 and 4000 lbs?
Old 09-28-2008, 11:45 AM   #10
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
^Also good points, a hybrid could and should be a possibility. There's an article I just read in one of the many car/truck magazines I get (I'll see if I can locate it) where the writer was lamenting how large trucks have gotten. He made the observation that so many trucks now are too high to even load up easily. I can't imagine trying to load an ATV in a Tundra or an F150 at this point. You almost need a crane. How did people get by in the 80's when all trucks were smaller?
Old 09-28-2008, 11:17 PM   #11
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
follow the link at the bottom to http://trd.com.au

Some of you guys will get a laugh looking at the Hilux gallery - the dash lights are in white instead of orange Did they steal the idea from our forum?

Oh, and what's this?

Quote:
Also, with the
multi-information display, you can get all the information you
need at a glance – including fuel range and consumption,
driving time and even average speed.
WTF I want that!!! I was really pissed when the overhead cluster of our trucks only did temperature and direction

I think it's weird that they don't release something like the Aurion to the US - toyota's been trying to find a way to tackle honda for the 'sporty' look (I don't think Scion is cutting it), and i think that would be a good design - at least in the looks department. I thought it was an Acura at first glance.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:23 PM   #12
PhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Civil Air Patrol (US Air Force Auxiliary)
PhoenixCadet's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to PhoenixCadet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenmunga View Post
Hilux
I'm so sorry that we're the only ones who have the Tacoma. I feel bad for everyone else.

Hilux's are fugly compared to Tacos.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:27 PM   #13
IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2
TacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
TacoNut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixCadet View Post
I'm so sorry that we're the only ones who have the Tacoma. I feel bad for everyone else.

Hilux's are fugly compared to Tacos.
Personally I'd take the Hilux over the taco any day... Not only are the damn things indestructible, I believe (don't quote me) the hilux has a fully boxed frame while the taco is only fully boxed in the front half or something. plus a 3.0 L diesel, What's not to love?
Old 09-28-2008, 11:35 PM   #14
PhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Civil Air Patrol (US Air Force Auxiliary)
PhoenixCadet's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to PhoenixCadet
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoNut View Post
Personally I'd take the Hilux over the taco any day... Not only are the damn things indestructible, I believe (don't quote me) the hilux has a fully boxed frame while the taco is only fully boxed in the front half or something. plus a 3.0 L diesel, What's not to love?
Eh. Sorry.

I'm just simply not into Taco's for their power (that's just an added bonus to me). I just want a truck 'cause I like trucks over cars, and Taco's are, IMO, the best-lookin' truck out there.

YMMV. Didn't mean to offend ya.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:06 PM   #15
Runs with Scissors
Radelix has a spectacular aura aboutRadelix has a spectacular aura about

Radelix's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Radelix
I'd take a small turbo diesel. I had an 86 Isuzu trooper with the 2 liter turbo diesel. I could get 5-600 miles out 18 gallons on the highway. Didn't go too fast but 75 is plenty fast enough and it was a 4x4 4banger that could pull an F150 out of a ditch. Had to do that once in the winter
Old 02-10-2011, 04:32 PM   #16
Seandaman is on a distinguished road
Marines:
Seandaman's Tacoma Gallery
I saw a newer Hilux while in Africa last year. Sharp looking, diesel and a manny tranny. I would def buy one if they ever come to the US.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:30 AM   #18
Indian Shifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndian Shifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndian Shifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndian Shifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndian Shifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndian Shifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndian Shifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndian Shifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndian Shifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndian Shifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndian Shifter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ashil
Indian Shifter's Tacoma Gallery
the hilux came out in a 2.2 diesel in the early 80's...used to love lsten to my dad start it up and inhale those fumes
Old 02-18-2011, 07:55 AM   #20
The1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peps
The1youluv2hate's Tacoma Gallery
Tundra HD Nice .. But Toyota needs 2 keep the fj around..

I will wait to pay off my taco and the get a 2015 taco