1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacoma redesign for 2013 model!

Discussion in 'Toyota Trucks & SUVs' started by Teufel Hunden, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Sep 26, 2008 at 12:05 PM
    Teufel Hunden

Teufel Hunden [OP] No Better Friend, No Worse Enemy

Member:
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    09 MGray DC SB TRD-OR 4x4 V6 Auto SR5
    Undercover tonneau, OEM tow package with hitch, OEM retractable roof rack, Front window tint (legal), WeatherTech FloorLiners, Door sill protectors, Tacoma bed mat, Rear leaf spring TSB, OEM DRL mod, Door edge guards, AFE Pro-Dry S Air Filter, Removed secondary air filter, Smoked LED 3rd brake light, Romik running boards, Go Rhino hitch step, Extra set of D-rings mod, Bed cargo net, TRD wheel locks, OBX sport pedal covers.
    I have seen a few threads speculating about when the next redesign of the Tacoma will be. I recently found this article at the following website: http://www.toyoland.com/future.html I should warn you that I don't know how accurate it is, and the writers may be speculating themselves. Also, please note that the years listed in the article are the model years, and not the actual physical years. So, the 2013 Tacoma should be released sometime in 2012. The article was updated on September 8, 2008, and here is the portion that concerns Toyota trucks, the Tacoma information is about halfway through the article:

Toyota Truck Updates

The Toyota Tundra has an optional 381 horsepower V8, beating every domestic truck engine in horsepower (the Dodge by 1 hp), and is a true American-style full-sized pickup. Built in the United States, it may get a heavy duty model (three-quarter or full ton), necessary for that “macho” image so important to American commuters, in three or four years. In the meantime, a new 4.6 liter V8 will become the base engine in 2010, adding around 30 hp and 2 mpg.

The big 5.7 liter V8 is also be used in the Lexus LX570 and probably the next generation Land Cruiser.

The Tundra may benefit from Toyota’s acquisition of chunks of Isuzu; the Isuzu diesel engineers are far more advanced than those at Toyota, and were the main brains behind the successful GM Duramax engines. A diesel engine using Isuzu technology should end up in the Tundra sooner rather than later - possibly at about the same time GM and Dodge bring out their diesel-powered 1500 models. For serious American fleet buyers, the diesel is a very popular option, because it requires less maintenance, provides more grunt, and consumes far less fuel, cutting fuel bills nearly in half in some cases (and farmers can make their own biodiesel). Again, diesels also boost the “rough and tough” image.

The Tacoma is due for redesign in 2013.

Despite a bigger Sequoia taking over the Land Cruiser's market position, the Land Cruiser itself will hold on, supported by international sales, with a redesign scheduled for 2009. At that time, the 5.7 liter engine is likely to appear with 380 horsepower; the fancy Land Cruiser, or Lexus LX570, already uses that engine.

The FJ Cruiser was scheduled for a 2012 redesign, but it may simply be dropped due to falling sales.

The new Sequoia will take advantage of all Tacoma upgrades, and will also reportedly feature a new independent rear suspension. Interior space should increase as well. It is to be made larger and more powerful - following the Tundra it’s based on. Like the Tundra, it will get a new 4.6 liter V8 in 2010.

The 4Runner, just redesigned for 2006, will be re-engineered again for 2010.

2. Sep 26, 2008 at 12:37 PM
    Agent475

Agent475 "Mark It Zero"

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport
    Hood Struts, 3" Tuff Country Lift, Shortie Antenna, WeatherTechs, Tinted front windows, custom TRD seat covers, custom pedals, debadged, custom USMC badging, quasi-functional hoodscoop (i.e. I cut it open), black front Yota emblem, Tailgate Theft-Prevention mod, Horn Relocation mod, Old Man Emu Carrier Bearing Drop, Brighter Backup Lights Mod, Smittybilt Reciever Hitch Tow Point, currently working on Satoshi Grill Mod
    Great find!!! That's a long way off still... so I'm not worried :)

3. Sep 26, 2008 at 12:43 PM
    OU812

OU812 ban the term murdered out

Member:
    First Name:
    danusa
    Kilroy was here
    Vehicle:
    13 DblCab LB 4X4
    Nothing yet, brand new!
    I noticed not much of anything was said regarding the Tacoma's drivetrain updates. However the article talks about the Tundra getting a diesel. How come the Tacoma can't benefit from this. I think the US market is ready for light duty small diesels despite the higher cost of diesel fuel for the time being.

4. Sep 26, 2008 at 1:56 PM
    CometKat

CometKat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Carson City NV
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4X4 Regular Cab SR5
    It seems it took until 2008 to finally get this truck right. So the soonest I’d be buying a new one would be 2016.

5. Sep 27, 2008 at 5:30 PM
    Teufel Hunden

Teufel Hunden [OP] No Better Friend, No Worse Enemy

Member:
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    09 MGray DC SB TRD-OR 4x4 V6 Auto SR5
    Undercover tonneau, OEM tow package with hitch, OEM retractable roof rack, Front window tint (legal), WeatherTech FloorLiners, Door sill protectors, Tacoma bed mat, Rear leaf spring TSB, OEM DRL mod, Door edge guards, AFE Pro-Dry S Air Filter, Removed secondary air filter, Smoked LED 3rd brake light, Romik running boards, Go Rhino hitch step, Extra set of D-rings mod, Bed cargo net, TRD wheel locks, OBX sport pedal covers.
    Same here! I was a little worried when I was deciding to buy my Tacoma that a newer design would be coming out in the next couple of years. I was debating if I should wait to make my purchase or not. Now that I know the redesign is a long ways off, I'm glad I got my Tacoma when I did.

I agree completely. I would definitely buy a Tacoma with a diesel!

6. Sep 27, 2008 at 5:43 PM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    I very seriously doubt we will ever see a Diesel Taco in the US. Toyota has already cancelled their plans to build a Diesel Tundra and is putting the ABAT into production. Add that in with the soon to be end of the FJC, I'm highly disappointed with Toyota.

7. Sep 27, 2008 at 8:12 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    ^I don't entirely agree with that. If diesels take off here, I believe we will see a diesel Tacoma. They already have it overseas in the Hilux so it wouldn't be much of a stretch for them to bring it here, I don't think. Sure, there will be some changes that have to be made for it to meet emissions regs but Mercedes did it with their Bluetec so why not Toyota?

8. Sep 28, 2008 at 9:38 AM
    Tail Gunner

Tail Gunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kitsap, Washington
    Vehicle:
    2005 PreRunner SR5 TRD
    Aries black Bull Bar, K&N 63-series Air Intake, HID 6000K Headlights and Fogs, Redline Hood Struts, Kenwood DPX-502 headunit, JDM black headlights, black Altezza tailights, Bracketronic I-pod mount, and several more audio mods to come Debadged
    I wonder if the tacoma redesign will have an optional V8 like the 4-runner does. I want a V8, but dont want to get that big ass tundra that comes with it and dont want to give up my mid size TRUCK for an SUV.

9. Sep 28, 2008 at 10:30 AM
    CometKat

CometKat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Carson City NV
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4X4 Regular Cab SR5
    Why would you need a V8 in a Tacoma? Everybody raves about how much power the V6 has. Even the I4 is more than adequate. Anyway, five years from now $4 gas will probably be the norm so a hybrid Tacoma would be more likely than a V8 Tacoma. As WilsonTheDog alluded to, a diesel could also make sense. Here’s an idea, how about making the truck lighter. Does the truck really have to weight between 3600 and 4000 lbs?

10. Sep 28, 2008 at 11:45 AM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    ^Also good points, a hybrid could and should be a possibility. There's an article I just read in one of the many car/truck magazines I get (I'll see if I can locate it) where the writer was lamenting how large trucks have gotten. He made the observation that so many trucks now are too high to even load up easily. I can't imagine trying to load an ATV in a Tundra or an F150 at this point. You almost need a crane. How did people get by in the 80's when all trucks were smaller?

11. Sep 28, 2008 at 11:17 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    follow the link at the bottom to http://trd.com.au

Some of you guys will get a laugh looking at the Hilux gallery - the dash lights are in white instead of orange :rolleyes: Did they steal the idea from our forum? ;)

Oh, and what's this?

WTF I want that!!! I was really pissed when the overhead cluster of our trucks only did temperature and direction :(

I think it's weird that they don't release something like the Aurion to the US - toyota's been trying to find a way to tackle honda for the 'sporty' look (I don't think Scion is cutting it), and i think that would be a good design - at least in the looks department. I thought it was an Acura at first glance.

12. Sep 28, 2008 at 11:23 PM
    PhoenixCadet

PhoenixCadet Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    11 Reg Cab 2.7L 4x4
    I'm so sorry that we're the only ones who have the Tacoma. I feel bad for everyone else. :(

Hilux's are fugly compared to Tacos. :D

13. Sep 28, 2008 at 11:27 PM
    TacoNut

TacoNut IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Denver, Co
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD OR DCSB Quicksand
    Personally I'd take the Hilux over the taco any day... Not only are the damn things indestructible, I believe (don't quote me) the hilux has a fully boxed frame while the taco is only fully boxed in the front half or something. plus a 3.0 L diesel, What's not to love?

14. Sep 28, 2008 at 11:35 PM
    PhoenixCadet

PhoenixCadet Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    11 Reg Cab 2.7L 4x4
    Eh. Sorry. :D

I'm just simply not into Taco's for their power (that's just an added bonus to me). I just want a truck 'cause I like trucks over cars, and Taco's are, IMO, the best-lookin' truck out there.

YMMV. Didn't mean to offend ya.

15. Oct 9, 2008 at 12:06 PM
    Radelix

Radelix Runs with Scissors

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    17 trdor dcsb 6mt
    I'd take a small turbo diesel. I had an 86 Isuzu trooper with the 2 liter turbo diesel. I could get 5-600 miles out 18 gallons on the highway. Didn't go too fast but 75 is plenty fast enough and it was a 4x4 4banger that could pull an F150 out of a ditch. Had to do that once in the winter

16. Feb 10, 2011 at 4:32 PM
    Seandaman

Seandaman Active Member

Member:
    Cincy, OH
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd dc, Off Road pkg
    Banks exhaust, volant cai with ram air, BF All Terrains
    I saw a newer Hilux while in Africa last year. Sharp looking, diesel and a manny tranny. I would def buy one if they ever come to the US.

17. Feb 11, 2011 at 1:55 AM
    Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan the full Monty

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
    I saw a new Hilux in Pasadena like a week ago when i was coming home from mammoth. On the side it said trd off road as sticker.

18. Feb 18, 2011 at 7:30 AM
    Indian Shifter

Indian Shifter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ashil
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2011 White DC TRD Sport 4x4 Manual
    the hilux came out in a 2.2 diesel in the early 80's...used to love lsten to my dad start it up and inhale those fumes

19. Feb 18, 2011 at 7:44 AM
    achirdo

achirdo I Weld!

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    North DFW
    Vehicle:
    06 dodge ram 3500 5.9 cummins
    I can't wait for the tundra diesel

20. Feb 18, 2011 at 7:55 AM
    The1youluv2hate

The1youluv2hate Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peps
    SAnta Paula CA
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD sPort 4x4 (11mgmsport)
    oem pro grill 17” pro rep wheels Fox dsc shocks
    Tundra HD Nice .. But Toyota needs 2 keep the fj around..

I will wait to pay off my taco and the get a 2015 taco

Products Discussed in

To Top