1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

BakFlip G2 or Undercover Tonneau Cover?

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by Cobhc, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Nov 23, 2009 at 5:47 PM
    00 Toy

00 Toy Member

Member:
    Md
    Vehicle:
    2nd Toyota '00 4X4 4cyl
    stock< Line-x bed, Back-flip, HID 6000k headlights, 700watt JVC 265-15 tires just getting started ...
    I have the G2 and it is working OK for me. I like the way it looks and the protection is good.

2. Nov 29, 2009 at 5:33 PM
    frankmusic

frankmusic Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma Metalic Gray
    32" Light bar, etc.
    I also purchased the G2. It's extremely easy to install and appears to be quite well made. I would definitely recommend it. ;)

The only problem that I had experienced was basically my fault from the get-go. I had placed some taller items in the back of the bed. I left the two rear panels in the 'open' position without using some bungees to secure it. WRONG!!! :eek:

After traveling about 45 mph+ the rear lifted panels began to do a flapping dance in the wind. What a racket it made. YIKES! :eek: It certainly got my attention. So, I quickly pulled over and secured it down properly.

Other than that faux pas - I love it. :p

(Now, the serious issues that cropped up with the Pop-N-Lock tailgate handle is for another thread.):(

3. Feb 7, 2010 at 6:42 PM
    njtaco09

njtaco09 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Edison
    Vehicle:
    09 black 4x4
    Tint, dvd nav, fold a cover, kenwood excelon 9140, kenwood excelon amp, rainbow components and subs
    I Just installed the fold a cover about a month ago and love the ability to open both sides. I just wish I could get the toolbox that goes with it because im using two plastic bins with a bed bar right now.

4. Mar 11, 2010 at 7:22 AM
    tfortunato

tfortunato I love my taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road SWB
    3" leveling kit, on-demand camera, fog light mod, 55w 6000K HIDs headlights and fog lights, Avid light bar with two hella off road lights converted to 55w 6000K HIDs
    I have the G2 with the Pop N Lock handle and I love both of them. Had them for over a month, they work great for me.

5. Mar 11, 2010 at 7:33 AM
    TexasBlue

TexasBlue Dreamer

Member:
    First Name:
    Kellan
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner Sport, Speedway Blue
    Billet Grill, Roll-Top Cover, LED Interior Lights, HIDs, Foglight On Mod, Coin Tray Holster Mod
    Just remember... having a cover on the bed doesn't provide any meaningful increase in fuel economy. But of course, there are plenty of other reasons to get a bed cover (looks, security, weather protection, etc).

6. Apr 24, 2010 at 7:31 PM
    swatbob

swatbob Member

Member:
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    10 tacoma 4x4
    None, yet.
    Ive been looking at the Armorlid one piece tonneau cover. Anyone have any experience with it?

7. May 19, 2010 at 5:20 PM
    copdude33

copdude33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Roxboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma Limited 4x4
    Tint, bed cover, led high beams, HID low beams, blacked emblems
    I've had both and would recommend the undercover. It's more sturdy, wont dent like the HD bakflip, is cooler in the sun, and hardly a drop of water gets in. The HD Bakflip leaked like hell regardless of how much weather stripping I used. The under cover is durable and light weight and you can take it on and off in less than 2 minutes. Hangs up nice in the garage if I want to go without it.

8. Jun 14, 2010 at 4:32 AM
    Deano

Deano Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dean
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    Sport access cab 4x4
    I just ordered the undercover so glad to hear the good reviews. Need to keep my hunting and fishing stuff dry underneath. Didn't need a large shell that everyone can see in and see what you have inside. Also doesn't limit my sight putting the boat in the water on the trailer. Think i made the right decision from what i read here

9. Aug 22, 2010 at 9:58 AM
    Rockinroad

Rockinroad Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma SR-5
    My name is Morrie, and I sell BakFlips exclusively through www.bakfactoryoutlet.com. I talk to customers all day about the relative benefits of the different covers. The tilt up covers generally turn your truck bed into a station wagon because of their height limitation. Folding covers are better, but all of them have to be removed if you want to use your whole truck bed which leaves you with no cover when your get to where you're going. The BakFlip is the ONLY cover that gives you 100% use of your truck bed without removing it. Off Roaders especially appreciate the BakFlip because after they unload their bikes and ATVs they just close the cover and lock up their gear without having to leave it exposed in the back seat of their truck. Please feel free to contact me at 866 506-0142 ext. 704 for special forum prices on all of our products and be sure to check out the brand new BakBox at www.bakflip.com/bakchat

10. Aug 22, 2010 at 9:55 PM
    tfortunato

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road SWB
    3" leveling kit, on-demand camera, fog light mod, 55w 6000K HIDs headlights and fog lights, Avid light bar with two hella off road lights converted to 55w 6000K HIDs
    I've had my bakflip now for over 6 months and it leaks horribly. I think my next bed cover will have to be a 1-piece cover that lifts up and down.

11. Aug 23, 2010 at 7:37 AM
    Rockinroad

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma SR-5
    While BakFlips are not 100% waterproof in all conditions they do keep your truck bed dry in most situations. You should contact customer service at BAK to see if they can help you with any extra seals or installation modifications that may raise the level of performance for you. 818 365-9000 ask for Jessie or Oscar.

12. Aug 23, 2010 at 10:12 AM
    tfortunato

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road SWB
    I'll call today. Thank you for the information.

13. Sep 16, 2010 at 11:20 PM
    punkpsy

punkpsy Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Leo
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Magnetic Grey DC Long Bed 4WD
    None Yet.
    out of curiosity, most of u that have these covers just have the plastic bed liner????

or do u have a spray on type.?

I keep reading how some leak and some don't but I am now wondering if you have the plastic or spray on. please let us know.

I plan on spraying my bed liner with line x, and thinking about a cover myself.

14. Sep 16, 2010 at 11:24 PM
    MOT

MOT Prez of @BattleBornToyotas

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    08 DB DC 4X4 Sr5 Sport
    Black Housing Head, Custom Retro fit, T-Rex #2 Eyelids 50 inch ToughLight Radius Bar and 2 20 inch Bars behind grill with BAMF mount, T-Rex #2 Eyelids, Custom Vegas Dezert Fab Front Bumper and Rock Sliders,Wet Okole's, WeatherTech Mats, Magnaflow Exhaust, Pro Comp 6 InchStage 2 Lift, K&N Intake,
    Love my undercover!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Sep 17, 2010 at 4:12 AM
    Deano

Deano Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dean
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    Sport access cab 4x4
    I have had the undercover on my 2010 for some time now and love it other than the darn lock covers. One especailly keeps flipping up in the wind of normal driving and kind of worry about snow and ice getting in the lock during our midwest winters. I am a hunter and fisherman and hunt durning the winter. Contacted the co. and they sent me new locks but they have the same covers. Need to have a spring loaded or snap cover on them as i can see. How hard would that be to make? Other than that i love the cover and keeps my gear dry. Pops off in min. if you need to haul something and is light to lift but a two person job. Not a big thing for me. Main thing is it is DRY inside. Such a great cover and a poor lock cover if you live in cold climate. Hope they come up with a update replacement. Find out if the snow and ice freezes them very soon. Anybody been through the winter with them? They just told me to use lock de icer. Poor solution. Still i am happy so far with the cover. Absolutely love the 2010 4X4 sport truck. Pulls my fishing boat with ease. Have 6,000 miles on the truck and cover. Good site

16. Sep 17, 2010 at 3:32 PM
    krankusmaximus

krankusmaximus New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Chicago, IL
    Vehicle:
    '10 Sport 4x4
    K&N Air Filter, Borla Exhaust
    Can anyone answer if you can still use the OEM toyota rail system with the G2 bakflip to lockdown dirtbike/quad?

17. Sep 18, 2010 at 12:19 PM
    Rockinroad

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma SR-5
    Hey Craig:
    Morrie here form the BakFactoryoutlet.com. If you need a tie down system, then you can order our CS rails for an extra $100. The rail upgrade comes with 4 sliding tie downs that sit on the top of the rails. Please call if you want to ask any more questions. 866 506-0142 ext. 704

18. Dec 11, 2010 at 7:41 AM
    FTL911

FTL911 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    06 PreDblCabTRDSport
    I totally disagree...And the windtunnel tests prove it. Any time you can smooth out the air flow over a huge divit such as a truck bed, you improve the efficiency in how that object (the truck) moves through the air, reducing drag, and thus improving fuel economy.
    You should have taken, or paid attention in physics class :rolleyes:

19. Dec 14, 2010 at 5:31 PM
    wyotracker

wyotracker Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    will
    torrington wyoming
    Vehicle:
    11 taco off road
    put a cover on mine 2 weeks ago with no noticable mpg differance -

20. Dec 15, 2010 at 8:36 AM
    Rockinroad

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma SR-5
    BakFlip was tested by SEMA and improved HIGHWAY mileage by up to 11%. Of course, if you drive 90 and are using passing gear all the time that number goes down, but if you just cruise at 70-80 you'll definitely see a significant improvement on your trips! i see an extra 50 miles out of my tank with my cover closed over the Highway on my trips to LA!

Products Discussed in

To Top