Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Toyota Trucks & SUVs

Notices

Wife's new Ride??

Old 05-04-2011, 02:59 AM   #1
SoxTacoma12 is on a distinguished road
SoxTacoma12's Tacoma Gallery
Wife's new Ride??

Looking for some opinions from fellow Toyota Owners.

I just got a new Tacoma last month, we were going to wait another year or so and upgrade the wife's ride...but she is hearing more and more rattles on her 04 Grand Cherokee so she is bugging me to go shopping. I may have to give in sooner than later. The Grand Cherokee only has 90,000 miles on it. It is the overland edition and she has owned since new. What kills me is what the original msrp was on this thing and what they are worth now.

SO....the final two choices are likely 2011 4runner vs 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I am a big fan of the 4runner, we have test drove before and I thought it was awesome. She is a bigger fan of the new styling of the 2011 Grand Cherokee. I think CHrysler did a good job of the new gen GC, but my argument is resale value sucks, and it will start to fall apart again at 90,000 miles. Where the 4runner will have a ton of value left when it hits 90k miles and its super reliable. Not to mention this is the first year of Chrysler's new V6.

Price - around the same. Similarly equipped Loredo vs SR5 both sticker around 35k. Problem for me might come with trade in value. I know I am going to get a little more at Jeep for her GC. Now I see a lot of the Toyota dealers that post their internet pricing went from taking 3k of 4runners to now about 1500 b/c of the eventual shortage, which is crazy to charge more than you were if an item is still available.

What is everyones thoughts on those two vehicles overal? 2011 GC or 2011 4runner? Do I have clouded judgement b/c I own a Toyota?
Old 05-04-2011, 03:25 AM   #2
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
The 4Runners are awesome. Same auto tranny as the V6 Tacomas. And my understanding is they're all built in Japan ... read: built right and built well. Head over to www.T4R.org and check out what owners have to say.

If your last GC is falling apart so quickly (90k??? Are you kidding me?) why even bother going that route again?
Old 05-04-2011, 03:30 AM   #3
zzbudzz is on a distinguished road
zzbudzz's Tacoma Gallery
I had a 96 4runner i still regret selling it, Yeah i dont' think i would even look at the Jeep Grand Cherokee. If you can afford the 4runner buy it. They are nice !
Old 05-04-2011, 03:46 AM   #4
opinions are like assholes; everyones got one.
TacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TacoSport's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxTacoma12 View Post
What is everyones thoughts on those two vehicles overal? 2011 GC or 2011 4runner? Do I have clouded judgement b/c I own a Toyota?
It was my wifes '05 4Runner and that made me make the move to the new Taco in January. The 4Runner seems to use better quality product inside and out than the Taco eg. the materials in the wheel wells are thicker and connected to the frame better whereas the Taco is flimsy cheapo plastic that uses little plastic connectors and makes noise even when I wash the rear fender. At 92k miles the 4Runner is rock solid.

Another SUV you may want to take a look, that I am using as a rental right now on business trip, is the Ford Explorer Limited. Very nice vehicle.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:51 AM   #5
The "Search" tab is your friend!!
steviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Steve
steviestyles's Tacoma Gallery
That's the problem...most women buy cars for looks and not functionality or reliability. I'd sell the GC outright on Craigslist and buy the 4 Runner. I sold my wife's 2005 Equinox a few months back for way more than I would of got for a trade. We then bought a new Toyota Sienna. If you're having issues with the GC don't even bother getting another one until Chrysler's reputation is restored.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:04 AM   #6
K1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shedK1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shedK1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shedK1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shedK1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shedK1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shedK1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shedK1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shedK1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shedK1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shedK1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kanon
K1992f's Tacoma Gallery
4runners ... Should not be debate
Old 05-04-2011, 04:13 AM   #7
ecupcar is on a distinguished road

ecupcar's Tacoma Gallery
My wife's 99 4runner has 165k and runs like a top. Still worth about $7-8k. Just the facts to help you with your decision, not to mention the new 4runner looks great!
Old 05-04-2011, 04:24 AM   #8
o5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant future
Name: Tim
o5iiawah's Tacoma Gallery
Jesus H. 90k miles and 7 years old and its falling apart.

Get the toyota
Old 05-04-2011, 04:35 AM   #9
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Why is this even a debate? Despite the fact that anything Dodge touches is a piece of shit, what sort of answers do you think you will get on this site?

4Runners are bad ass, plus you know it will last forever, the money lost at trade will be returned in the long run when the 4Runner is running strong over 90k with no rattles. Problem solved.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:22 AM   #10
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
If you just bought a new Tacoma and are now looking to buy a new 4Runner, the Toyota dealership should be able to help you out with the trade. Not many people buy 2 brand new vehicles so close together. See what you'd get at the Jeep dealership and see if the Toyota one will match it or at least come close. They're probably going to send your trade off to auction regardless of where you trade it in.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:15 PM   #11
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSport View Post
The 4Runner seems to use better quality product inside and out than the Taco eg. the materials in the wheel wells are thicker and connected to the frame better whereas the Taco is flimsy cheapo plastic that uses little plastic connectors and makes noise even when I wash the rear fender. At 92k miles the 4Runner is rock solid.
The current 4Runner weighs 800 lbs more than a Taco 4x4. Something to keep in mind. The Taco is reliable even if it feels flimsy.

@SoxTacoma12: You can always sell the GC to a Jeep dealer, then go over to the Toyota dealer. Selling the old vehicle and buying the new one should be kept separate.