Put simply my trucks current 4-speed is failing, and so now is parked. Up until Thursday morning it was only a few incidents since last Sunday. The synchros are going out so I started looking...and due to circumstances at home...desperately.
Like most any older Toy truck owner I'm sure thats had a 4-speed...you want a 5-speed. Well, I found one. The seller was going to use it in a mid-80s Toyota RV to replace its 4-speed and pair it with a 22R (possibly a replacement) thats in an 80' pickup. To recount, I'll show what I've posted in other forums on the immediate problem.
The 5-speed in question is a 2WD version...and a measuring tape has it within about 1/2 an inch of the existing tranny length...this will be confirmed when the broken one is out. I decided a new throw out bearing is in order anyway...along with a friction disc since mine was pretty well worn already when I last had the tranny out to replace my rear oil seal. But I've run into a problem...and I've attached a copy/paste of a post from other forums.
UH-OH! Complications :cry:
Here I am...all jazzed I found just the transmission I've been looking for...where all I'd need do is maybe swap bell housings around for proper starter placement and simply move the hydraulic lines from the right side to the left.......disappointment on the former...and the latter looks like it might not work either.
The existing transmission is coming out REGARDLESS. But should there be any problem with the installation of the starter on the drivers side of engine? IE clearance with manifold (which while I'm at it needs a new gasket anyway.
Just pulled my starter (which works perfectly) and turns out it doesn't line up properly with the new tranny's bolt holes (which btw) are non threaded so would otherwise require a bolt and separate nut...but the protrusions on the starter to aid lining up wont let the edge sit flush with the tranny body. Just keeps getting better and better...I've stopped work for now until I can figure out this mess.
EDIT: Took a wire brush to it to see if any numbers might have been obscured (wasn't much to remove) but found nothing. Inside the bell housing, at the bottom of the plate the input shaft goes through I found this: 49K