1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Seeking advice on value of my damaged truck

Discussion in 'Toyota Trucks & SUVs' started by nokytoyo, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Oct 8, 2008 at 12:11 PM
    nokytoyo

nokytoyo [OP] Member

Member:
    Northern Ky / Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Pickup DX
    While I don't officially have a Tacoma, I have a pre-Tacoma days 1994 Toyota pickup that I bought 5 yrs ago. Unfortunately while on the expressway last week it overheated and caused serious engine damage. I've only been able to locate a couple of engines and they're way too expensive, with very high mileage. Even a rebuilt engine will cost almost as much as the truck is worth.

This hurts but I'm thinking of selling it as is but have been trying to determine what it may be worth to someone. I've had a couple of people already inquire and asked what I wanted for it. I sure would appreciate anyone's opinion on what a decent price would be to accept.

It's a 1994 extended cab 4x4, v-6 3.0 standard shift The body is in good shape with very little rust. The bed and tailgate do have some rust. It has 4 Yokahama oversized tires with American Racing wheels (only 6,000 miles on the tires). I've also got the steel wheels that initially came on it. The American Racing wheels are much older than the Yokahama tires.

2. Oct 8, 2008 at 12:24 PM
    beastlytaco

beastlytaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    do a kelly blue book search. they should be able to help

3. Oct 8, 2008 at 1:25 PM
    nokytoyo

nokytoyo [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Pickup DX
    Thanks Beastlytaco.

I searched KBB before posting this thread and I couldn't get an estimate. The 4 condition catagories are excellent, good, fair, and poor. My truck falls into the poor catagory because all others note that the engine is in running condition. The site won't give an estimated value for poor condition. Based on the specs it is worth apx. $3,200 if fair condition. Someone has hinted to me that they would give me $800 - $900 for it. I'm thinking that's fair but was just reaching out to seek some advice here in case anyone has had a similar situation. Maybe I'm greedy but with today's economy I need all I can get.

4. Oct 8, 2008 at 1:30 PM
    HerNameIsLucy

HerNameIsLucy I miss Lucy. :-(

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Equador. Don't know why.
    Vehicle:
    RIP Lucy.
    She's gone but not forgotten.
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  5. Oct 8, 2008 at 2:14 PM
    DFPTaco

DFPTaco It's TACO time!

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    19 DC SB TRD OFF ROAD
    little lift, wheels and tires, prinsu rack, TRD Pro grille, some lights, and some scratches.
    ^^^^ x2

Without the engine you'd be better off trading it in to a dealer. Most will give you $500 bucks for a vehicle that won't run. Otherwise deff get a credit card and drop in a motor for an extra 1k. Then either sell it for 3gs or keep it.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  6. Oct 8, 2008 at 5:06 PM
    beastlytaco

beastlytaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    ^^ yeah that would make sense. but if you dont have money to spend on it i would sell it for about 900 to 950

7. Oct 9, 2008 at 8:19 AM
    nokytoyo

nokytoyo [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Pickup DX
    Thanks everyone. As much as I hate to sell it I'm probably going to. I'm not a mechanic so between the price of an engine plus labor it just doesn't seem feasible. Sad thing is I've had 4 offers to by it in the past yr. The last offer was just 3 weeks ago. Oh well. I immediately said no to them all because I like it too much. I'll get over it and one of these days soon will have me another one.

Products Discussed in

To Top