Old 06-17-2011, 05:58 PM   #1
Timmy
timofthehill is on a distinguished road
Name: Timmy
timofthehill's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to timofthehill
Tundra 5.7 motor blowing up?

Hello everyone,
Just trying to find out why the 5.7's are blowing up? and what is Toyota doing about it. I am looking into upgrading. I like the Tundra over the Sierra pickups. I don't want to buy a Tundra and it blow up on me.
Let me know
Old 06-17-2011, 05:58 PM   #2
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
wow first ive heard... subbed
Old 06-17-2011, 06:03 PM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Only the first 100 or so engines built had cam problems. As far as I know there has been no other issue.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:04 PM   #4
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
subd
Old 06-17-2011, 06:05 PM   #5
Trauma85 is a name known to allTrauma85 is a name known to allTrauma85 is a name known to allTrauma85 is a name known to allTrauma85 is a name known to allTrauma85 is a name known to all

Name: Tyler
Trauma85's Tacoma Gallery
Ive worked for toyota for 5 years, and havent seen a single blown tundra motor.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:10 PM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by timofthehill View Post
Hello everyone,
Just trying to find out why the 5.7's are blowing up? and what is Toyota doing about it. I am looking into upgrading. I like the Tundra over the Sierra pickups. I don't want to buy a Tundra and it blow up on me.
Let me know
Did a Chevy, Ford or Dodge guy tell you that Toyota engines blow up?
Old 06-17-2011, 06:14 PM   #7
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoytoda View Post
wow first ive heard... subbed
same!
Old 06-17-2011, 06:21 PM   #8
Timmy
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Did a Chevy, Ford or Dodge guy tell you that Toyota engines blow up?
No I have a couple of buddies that work at Toyota as mechanic's and both of them have worked on Tundra's with blown motors. Something to due with the metal in the camshaft's.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:23 PM   #9
Banned
Quote:
No I have a couple of buddies that work at Toyota as mechanic's and both of them have worked on Tundra's with blown motors. Something to due with the metal in the camshaft's.
Like I said, the first 100 or so engines had cam issues. I have not heard anything beyond that.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:25 PM   #10
TexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
TexAggie's Tacoma Gallery
Probably people who completely abuse them. I had a friend who's dad owned a 1gen tundra with the 4.7 and he went through 3 engines because he abused the hell out of them.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:28 PM   #11
????????????
225nontypical is one of the sharper tools in the shed225nontypical is one of the sharper tools in the shed225nontypical is one of the sharper tools in the shed225nontypical is one of the sharper tools in the shed225nontypical is one of the sharper tools in the shed225nontypical is one of the sharper tools in the shed225nontypical is one of the sharper tools in the shed225nontypical is one of the sharper tools in the shed225nontypical is one of the sharper tools in the shed225nontypical is one of the sharper tools in the shed225nontypical is one of the sharper tools in the shed

225nontypical's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Like I said, the first 100 or so engines had cam issues. I have not heard anything beyond that.
What he said
Old 06-17-2011, 06:36 PM   #12
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.pickuptrucks.com/html/new.../camshaft.html
Quality escape on the initial, very limited run of camshafts in 2007.

http://www.jdpower.com/autos/ratings.../large-pickup/
Now the Tundra tops JDPower 3-year reliability ratings in the large pickup class. (Survey conducted in 2011, on 2008 model year trucks).

The 5.7 was designed from the beginning to take a TRD supercharger, so in naturally aspirated form it is very sturdy.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:46 PM   #13
Timmy
so in the end it was only the 2007's that had the problems?
Old 06-17-2011, 06:50 PM   #14
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Close to 21k on our Tundra's ODO and not one issue. I do recall a very few that had issues with the camshafts but aside from that nothing about engine reliability. BTW... Don't tell the wife but I drive our tundy like I stole it! That summabitch is fooking quick!!!
Old 06-17-2011, 06:52 PM   #15
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
so in the end it was only the 2007's that had the problems?
Yes they were the 2007 models but so few in numbers I'd hardly saw it was an problem. I believe Toyota recalled and fixed the ones in question.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:54 PM   #16
Timmy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilted Chiken View Post
Close to 21k on our Tundra's ODO and not one issue. I do recall a very few that had issues with the camshafts but aside from that nothing about engine reliability. BTW... Don't tell the wife but I drive our tundy like I stole it! That summabitch is fooking quick!!!
The tundra's are awesome trucks for power and all. My tacoma doesn't have the easiest life either. If I were to get a Tundra I want it to be able to take some beatings...
Old 06-21-2011, 02:40 PM   #17
If I can't get you out, neither can anyone else.
Darth Tater will become famous soon enoughDarth Tater will become famous soon enough
Air Force: MSgt, 22 yrs,
Name: Marlin
Darth Tater's Tacoma Gallery
I used an 07 D Cab, 5.7 (2 wd) to outrun a 4.6 GT mustang at the dragstrip a few years ago. That truck hauls A$$. Beat him by 3 lengths in the quarter, and the Tundra was BONE STOCK. All I did was put some 93 Octane in it, and drive to the dragway. Mustang owner was so pissed, he left. :-)
Old 06-21-2011, 02:41 PM   #18
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Tater View Post
I used an 07 D Cab, 5.7 (2 wd) to outrun a 4.6 GT mustang at the dragstrip a few years ago. That truck hauls A$$. Beat him by 3 lengths in the quarter, and the Tundra was BONE STOCK. All I did was put some 93 Octane in it, and drive to the dragway. Mustang owner was so pissed, he left. :-)
Just so you know that 93 did nothing.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:58 PM   #19
If I can't get you out, neither can anyone else.
Darth Tater will become famous soon enoughDarth Tater will become famous soon enough
Air Force: MSgt, 22 yrs,
Name: Marlin
Darth Tater's Tacoma Gallery
OK, I'll bite

Quote:
Just so you know that 93 did nothing.
Why didn't it?? I run 87 in it daily drive, but I figured "Well, I am going to the dragstrip, why not??" Didn't put any 110 in it, thought it might damage the engine.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:41 PM   #20
mighty quin is on a distinguished road
mighty quin's Tacoma Gallery
2013 tundra blown motor

I have a 2013 5.7 with ONLY1500 mi with a blown motor. have driven Toyota since 1996 and never had a breakdown. now I am waiting for a new motor off their assembly line to be shipped and installed. pissed off as Toyota roadside was terrible also. I am so unhappy with the whole ordeal !!!