Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Toyota Trucks & SUVs

Notices

Alternator hot, replaced, new Alternator hot

Old 07-17-2011, 04:34 PM   #1
johnbrown552000 is on a distinguished road
johnbrown552000's Tacoma Gallery
Alternator hot, replaced, new Alternator hot

Any suggestions? I have a 99 Toyota Tacoma 4x4, 2.7. Alternator was running extrememly hot, replaced it even though it tested out ok. New one is still running hot.

Also, emergency brake light stays on, horn blows the fuses, heater doesn't work, not sure if it is all connected to the problem.

Any suggestions?
Old 07-17-2011, 04:41 PM   #2
Superx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joey
Superx2's Tacoma Gallery
welcome to TW! sounds like a wiring problem. since when did they put a altinator temp gage in tacomas... must be a 1st generation thing.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:10 PM   #3
No temp guage, just by touch. Trying to troubleshoot the wiring since I think it is all related to the same issues.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:40 PM   #4
Dark Lord of the Sith
wrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Tech Insp: 404 ASB/4th CAB
Name: Ryan Mathis
wrmathis's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to wrmathis Send a message via Yahoo to wrmathis
im pretty sure the alternator gets hot regardless. have u had ur brakes looked at lately? i know on my older toyota pickup, when the brakes needed replacing the emergency brake light would comeon and i had to mess with the emergency brake to make it go away. after replacing the brakes, i didnt have the problem anymore.

the horn thing i dunno? check to see if the power wire is grounding out is all i can think of
Old 07-17-2011, 05:49 PM   #5
"the soulless ginger"
PAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
PAlittlematty's Tacoma Gallery
Puah in on the ebrake handle n see if the light goes out. I know a few guys that had 1st gens n that happened to them. The alternator gets hot regardless. Its creating electricity and its close to the engine. Dunno bout the horn or heater
Old 07-17-2011, 08:47 PM   #6
Thank you all for the suggestions. We appreciate it. We are chasing wires.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:17 AM   #7
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Either there is a short on the horn circuit, or it's going bad. Check for voltage at the heater. If none on low, check the blower resistor. If none on high, swap the blower relay.
If the parking brake is not seated or the switch is broke, the light will stay on.

Are you running amps, running lights, etc? The harder the alternator works, the hotter it will get. Be sure you are not overloading it. Borrow an amprobe and run everything with the probe on it to see what you're drawing.