Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Toyota Trucks & SUVs

Notices

Out with the new in with the OLD

Old 07-21-2011, 01:20 PM   #1
MrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: John
MrGuitarguy's Tacoma Gallery
Out with the new in with the OLD

Hey guys,
I just got an old 86 Yota 4x4 PU. Stick! for $2800!

These are the specs from CL:
Toyota pickup 4x4-
Standard transmission-
brand new set of Falken Wild Country A/T tires 33"x12.50x15r
New fuel pump-
New timing chain-
New clutch master and slave cylinder
3 inch lift.
Only 163K miles on this truck.
Includes bumper and tow hitch (not pictured)

Its pretty awesome 4 cylinder and has pretty good gas mileage.

No AC which sucks, but ill get it soon.

Here are pics. Ill post more but I got to go to work so sorry for the quick post, but IM JUST SO EXCITED!!!

What did I do with my 05 taco? Well I still have it! But I let my dad drive it. I can still use it whenever I want though.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:01 PM   #4
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Amazing how the smaller pickups of yesteryear make 33" tires look big.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:05 PM   #5
MrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Well the good:
I can go through any pot hole on shepherd street. (which for those who live in Houston, you know it sucks)
I get a lot of looks.
Manual is fun.

The bad:
No AC
No power steering (which I could use help with guys...)
The big tires take away a lot of power..( also could use help re gearing guys)

Overall I'm very happy with my classic yota, but I would like help from you knowledgeable people about A) Getting Power steering, and B) A quality company, or part(S) number to re gear my truck.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:36 PM   #6
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Prepare to out wheel us all, I used to have an '83 straight axle w/22R, strong,quick & just about 100% bullet proof & I had 33"'s under it & no rubbing issues, try that in a 2nd gen....

Excellent find especially the price...
Old 07-22-2011, 10:08 PM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
Prepare to out wheel us all, I used to have an '83 straight axle w/22R, strong,quick & just about 100% bullet proof & I had 33"'s under it & no rubbing issues, try that in a 2nd gen....

Excellent find especially the price...
Thank you. I thought so too. I got 4 original rims, a tow hitch, front and back bumper, and 3 spare 33's with it. One of which is practically brand new.

It has an IFS axle. Is that good?
Old 07-23-2011, 01:59 AM   #9
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGuitarguy View Post
Thank you. I thought so too. I got 4 original rims, a tow hitch, front and back bumper, and 3 spare 33's with it. One of which is practically brand new.

Well yeah, IFS is alright but I preferred the solid axle, waaay easier to MOD suspension/lift wise & stronger too , no little pussy parts like CV joints/axles & those fucking CV boots always just one trail away from tearing ..
Old 07-23-2011, 05:20 AM   #10
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
I love it plus you get have both
Nothing last like that up here in New England so nice score MrGuitarGuy on old school yote!
Old 07-23-2011, 05:37 AM   #11
leveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shed
leveltwo's Tacoma Gallery
use that as your trail rig and keep your truck as a daily driver... id beat the siht outta that thing if it was me, lol
Old 07-23-2011, 05:39 AM   #12
Capita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Capita's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like it was well taken care of. I love it, congrats!
Old 07-23-2011, 06:39 AM   #13
2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: chris
2008taco's Tacoma Gallery
For the steering you just need to use it for a few months to buff up. Besides a power steering pump is just going to take more power away from ya. A junkyard will probably be your best bet for the ac setup and power steering though if you decide to do them. Painting the truck a lighter color such as white or silver will help significantly with the heat too.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:11 AM   #14
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008taco View Post
For the steering you just need to use it for a few months to buff up. Besides a power steering pump is just going to take more power away from ya. A junkyard will probably be your best bet for the ac setup and power steering though if you decide to do them. Painting the truck a lighter color such as white or silver will help significantly with the heat too.
For what its worth I'd never offroad anything that didn't have power steering.

I've seen first hand what "wheel whip" can do to a wrist & or arm offroading with no PWS....not only is it a pain in the ass but can be downright dangerous...
Old 07-23-2011, 09:12 AM   #15
Well thanks for all the advice. I am going to be using this as a DD. I do plan on LIGHTLY trailing this thing, but I plan on restoring it with DD and heavy trail usage.

I need AC here in Houston, and power steering just for luxury. My dad is going to be using the Taco while hes in town, but he hardly is so I get to have the best of both. I wanted a classic truck, and here it is. I plan on restoring it with modern electronics (radio system, LED's etc) and decent performance parts because I dont want to ruin the already decent mpgs. List will probably include a different carb, engine rebuild and who knows what else. I'm counting on this site, TTORA, and Toyotanation to help me out with this. Paint will probably be a toyota silver (looking for a color code so I can have an original yota color) or Magnetic grey, because that's my favorite Tacoma color. Also considering my Black Sand Pearl.

Thoughts? Advice? I am open to opinions and comments from fellow experienced users.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:41 AM   #16
Yo! Wat up peeps?
1Bigbird has a brilliant future1Bigbird has a brilliant future1Bigbird has a brilliant future1Bigbird has a brilliant future1Bigbird has a brilliant future1Bigbird has a brilliant future1Bigbird has a brilliant future1Bigbird has a brilliant future1Bigbird has a brilliant future1Bigbird has a brilliant future1Bigbird has a brilliant future

1Bigbird's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGuitarguy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
Well yeah, IFS is alright but I preferred the solid axle, waaay easier to MOD suspension/lift wise & stronger too , no little pussy parts like CV joints/axles & those fucking CV boots always just one trail away from tearing ..
Unfortunately it has the weakest IFS Toyota made (Don't go bigger than 33's), if you do a SAS try and get a 85 axle (has the most gusseting on it).
I would advise against AC because of power loss, but it's your truck and I don't live down there!
You may want to look at a 3L V6 which will bolt right in or a 4.3L that you can get an adaptor for.

Please keep us informed!
Old 07-23-2011, 09:54 AM   #17
cummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cummins6speed's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Bigbird View Post
Unfortunately it has the weakest IFS Toyota made (Don't go bigger than 33's), if you do a SAS try and get a 85 axle (has the most gusseting on it).
I would advise against AC because of power loss, but it's your truck and I don't live down there!
You may want to look at a 3L V6 which will bolt right in or a 4.3L that you can get an adaptor for.

Please keep us informed!
I would highly recommend an SAS. That is a nice looking truck you got for a great deal.

I would stay far away from the 3.0 V6 and I wouldn't do a 4.3 either. Drop a 3.4L 5vze in there or a VW TDI engine
Old 07-23-2011, 09:57 AM   #18
cummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cummins6speed's Tacoma Gallery
Also, for when you re-gear, I believe 4.56 would put you back to stock with 33's but if you aren't doing a lot of freeway driving I would consider 4.88's, and while you have the diff's out I would throw an aussie locker in the rear at least
Old 07-23-2011, 10:24 AM   #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Bigbird View Post

Please keep us informed!
Well like I said, this is mostly going to be a DD, and if I trail it it wont be anything to tough. How much for the parts and swap?

Also about the AC, how much power loss are we talking about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cummins6speed View Post
I would highly recommend an SAS. That is a nice looking truck you got for a great deal.

I would stay far away from the 3.0 V6 and I wouldn't do a 4.3 either. Drop a 3.4L 5vze in there or a VW TDI engine
Why those engines? I really wanted to keep it a Toyota engine seeing as they have a good rep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cummins6speed View Post
Also, for when you re-gear, I believe 4.56 would put you back to stock with 33's but if you aren't doing a lot of freeway driving I would consider 4.88's, and while you have the diff's out I would throw an aussie locker in the rear at least
Its half and half on freeway and city. Whats the difference in gear size and whats the relevancy to the highway?

WHERE CAN I GET THE RE GEAR!!!!

How much am I looking at for the Locker, and whats an aussie locker?

I'm new to this guys..be patient.

THANKS!
Old 07-23-2011, 10:26 AM   #20
"Old Timer," compliments of 11Taco2.7
rleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Master Sergeant, Training Superintendent, 67th Network Warfare Wing
Name: Bob
rleeharris's Tacoma Gallery
Love it... great buy IMO.