Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Toyota Trucks & SUVs

Notices

Acceleration Issue on 2009 Tacoma Long Bed

Old 08-03-2011, 07:15 AM   #1
sherman1 is on a distinguished road
sherman1's Tacoma Gallery
Acceleration Issue on 2009 Tacoma Long Bed

I went to pull into my garage last week and I noticed my kids toy was in the way so I put the vehicle in park and left it running and then got out of the truck to move the toy . I got back into the truck and shifted it into drive with my foot on the brake (not the gas pedal)the vehicle's RPM raced up and the vehicle tried to lurch forward. Shocked to say the least I then shifted the vehicle into neutral waited a few moments as the vehicle kept racing up I then shut it down. I started it back up and it idled normally. The next day I called Toyota to state that this is a saftly issue. Toyota wanted me to bring it in right away. I took it in and they had a long listed form of questions like where was the floor mat, was cruise control on, do I use both feet to drive one for brake and one for the gas pedal. I told them nothing was on the pedal, I did not have cruise control on, and I use one foot to drive the vehicle. My foot was on the brake only. My foot cannot even hit the gas when its on the brake. They think it is me. I can't believe this and to boot Toyota wanted me not to drive the vehicle until the rep came (3 days later)and they would not even pay for a rental. Any ideas? I vehicle has had all of the recalled issues addressed.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:46 AM   #2
Jdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Daniel
Jdaniel1274's Tacoma Gallery
The questions Toyota is asking you are all valid, most of the time when something like that happens it is operator error. I can understand your reaction to the questions. I do however do not agree with them not giving you a rental for the time period, while they check out your truck and wait on the rep. I wish you the best of luck with your truck.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:55 AM   #3
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
They probably have a list of required questions that they have to ask due to the past acceleration issues that caused a massive recall. I bet it's all just protocol. I know it feels like they are blaming you, especially with the question regarding where your foot was. But don't forget that some people do drive two footed. Keeping the truck for three days is more than anything a safety concern and liability protection for them.

Don't worry, I'm sure they will get to the problem.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:22 AM   #4
sherman1 is on a distinguished road
sherman1's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys. So far it has not happened again but just to be sure that the cruise control is not a factor I took the truck out and turned the cruise control on and then set it to 5 mph. Don't know if somehow the cruise control is somehow enagaging dont' know why since it is not turned on but I wanted to try something. I have posted this event on the toyota website and the NHTSA website.