LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Toyota Trucks & SUVs

Notices

How extensive can you mod a standard reg 1st gen?

Old 08-18-2011, 06:54 PM   #21
Greg Graffin 2016
WhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andre
WhatThePho?'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to WhatThePho?
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawke88 View Post
Didnt know engage made a kit for a taquito.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:55 PM   #22
Trying to Spread Common Sense and Rational Thought
tx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 1st Fast Co, Golf 2/4
Name: Zech (pronounced zak)
tx_shooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatThePho? View Post
Didnt know engage made a kit for a taquito.
I like the launch ramp in front. Wonder if I could find one for my '87 4Runner.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:49 PM   #23
Reading...
Us3r is on a distinguished road
Army: Discharged Med 08 19D Infantry
Name: Mike
Us3r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
Check out Fat Bob's Garage. They have a hand full of 5 lug lift components.
http://store.fatbobsgarage.com/24l-l4-fi-c5484.aspx

Thanks for the link.

Heading to the yard saturday to scope out any possible parts.

suspension is next on the list. in desperate need of a front lift..

thanks for the help guys

edit: seems to be very few parts for 5 lugs...
Old 08-19-2011, 07:02 AM   #24
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Us3r View Post
Thanks for the link.

Heading to the yard saturday to scope out any possible parts.

suspension is next on the list. in desperate need of a front lift..

thanks for the help guys

edit: seems to be very few parts for 5 lugs...
^that^

And there is a lot to be done if you consider swapping to a 6 lug suspension. It's kind of a lose/lose situation.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:15 AM   #25
Reading...
Us3r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
^that^

And there is a lot to be done if you consider swapping to a 6 lug suspension. It's kind of a lose/lose situation.

I think I might abandon any extensive mods on this truck other than basic stuff. Going to hunt down a 4x4 or second gen
Old 08-19-2011, 11:48 AM   #26
Trying to Spread Common Sense and Rational Thought
tx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 1st Fast Co, Golf 2/4
Name: Zech (pronounced zak)
tx_shooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I think I might abandon any extensive mods on this truck other than basic stuff. Going to hunt down a 4x4 or second gen
I did the '87 4Runner mod to my PreRunner almost 5 months ago now. It has been awsome! My mpg in my Tacoma is still good and I can really abuse my trail rig because I know my DD is safe. Best $500 I have ever spent.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:56 AM   #27
SoftShellTaco is just really niceSoftShellTaco is just really niceSoftShellTaco is just really niceSoftShellTaco is just really niceSoftShellTaco is just really nice

Air Force: Tactical Aircraft Maintainer
Name: Justin
SoftShellTaco's Tacoma Gallery
The six lug conversion is not possible without a torch and a welder, and if you have thoe two components you might as well go SAS. Long travel versus the conversion you are talking about and the SAS is actually about the cheapest/most practical way to lift a 5 lug. You can always do a spindle lift and an AAL that will get you about 2" higher than stock and still keep the 5 lugs great ride quality and handling. Make sure you get brand new springs when you do these because I am pretty sure you have substantial sagging in your factory springs because they have probably never been replaced and the truck has probably been overloaded a few times in its life. Just some things to consider.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:05 PM   #28
SoftShellTaco is just really niceSoftShellTaco is just really niceSoftShellTaco is just really niceSoftShellTaco is just really niceSoftShellTaco is just really nice

Take a close look at the lower control arms to fully understand what I mean, the top is for a six lug and the bottom is for a five lug. Notice how the rear mount is at a different angle and the space between the two mounts are different from the six lug kit as well. You would have to hack two trucks up and get really lucky to have it line up perfectly srtaight, not saying it can't be done just not worth the time. Also the top mount for the shock on a five lug sits a bit lower and has one mount hole were the six lug sits a bit higher and has three mount holes. Not trying to shat on your parade just informing you.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:13 PM   #29
Señor member
Cr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Cr250jumper's Tacoma Gallery
LT FTW!
Old 08-19-2011, 02:23 PM   #30
Reading...
Us3r's Tacoma Gallery
SoftShellTaco

Thank you very much for your reply. You are correct about the cutting and welding. I can get access to a shop. Just the time itself is out of the question for me as I work 6 days a week. over time.

I have gotten a quote for a spindle lift and AAL kit for rear. Eibach will get back to me on springs since my buddy's shop has a contract with them. I might do something basic on this 1st gen and hopefully I can find a decent 4x4. I will continue reading and researching.

as for LT conversions. I would seriously love to. I just don't seen myself fully utilizing its full capabilities. At this point in my life. I just don't have the time to do any type of expeditions or extreme anything. Just simple drive trough, hike around, kill something and haul it out.

Guys, Thanks for the inputs.

I am currently at work and when I get off I will take a closer look at the photos. I do see the angle difference. But it seems like light modifications. I won't know till I see it in person. I need to compare and measure the different suspension and see what can be done.

oh forgot to add: I was priced out a spindle 3" front and AAL for rear at roughly $500 give or take. Still waiting on pricing for springs.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:36 PM   #31

Quote:
SoftShellTaco

Thank you very much for your reply. You are correct about the cutting and welding. I can get access to a shop. Just the time itself is out of the question for me as I work 6 days a week. over time.

I have gotten a quote for a spindle lift and AAL kit for rear. Eibach will get back to me on springs since my buddy's shop has a contract with them. I might do something basic on this 1st gen and hopefully I can find a decent 4x4. I will continue reading and researching.

as for LT conversions. I would seriously love to. I just don't seen myself fully utilizing its full capabilities. At this point in my life. I just don't have the time to do any type of expeditions or extreme anything. Just simple drive trough, hike around, kill something and haul it out.

Guys, Thanks for the inputs.

I am currently at work and when I get off I will take a closer look at the photos. I do see the angle difference. But it seems like light modifications. I won't know till I see it in person. I need to compare and measure the different suspension and see what can be done.

oh forgot to add: I was priced out a spindle 3" front and AAL for rear at roughly $500 give or take. Still waiting on pricing for springs.
You're welcome man, glad I can finally be of some help on these forums for the longest time I just had questions....lol. I went with the spindle and shackle route with new springs and shocks and got about 3" total lift, $500 sounds about right as far as the kit goes but remember to keep in mind buying new shocks and springs because if you lift on old factory springs they are going to resettle and you will actually loose a bit of height that way. Deaver offers a leaf pack for our trucks that only provide 2" of lift but will articulate a good bit with greasable Orbit Eye style bushings and later on when you go higher in the front you can add longer shackles or AALs. The Deaver isn't cheap though but it is more practical.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:38 PM   #32
Reading...
Us3r's Tacoma Gallery
Roger that. I hear ya. I've been around forums quite a bit.

Currently right now I have Bilstein heavy duty's oem replacements. Lifetime on these things and I get them CHEAP. Going to go ahead and keep those and grab new springs for fronts. I need to find brand of the spindle kit as well as AAL. I like to weigh my options.

again. Thank you.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:44 PM   #33

Quote:
Roger that. I hear ya. I've been around forums quite a bit.

Currently right now I have Bilstein heavy duty's oem replacements. Lifetime on these things and I get them CHEAP. Going to go ahead and keep those and grab new springs for fronts. I need to find brand of the spindle kit as well as AAL. I like to weigh my options.

again. Thank you.
I have the full Fabtech lift(spindles,shackles and longer shocks) with OEM replacement springs, altogether I paid about 1400 the springs are pretty pricey even if you get a discount at Toyota but I figured it be the best way to go till I build my LT setup.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:05 PM   #34
I'll eat all your food.
UndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

UndefinedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_shooter View Post
Turbo... hmm... I think these are not the droids you are looking for... better search for knowledge elsewhere.
If you want turbo ideas and opinions, check CustomTacos.

There is a mecca of information on their for 2RZ/3RZ forced inducted engines.
Old 08-20-2011, 05:03 AM   #35

Turbos are simple, fab or buy a manifold run a dump pipe to exhaust run charge pipes intercooler blow off valve with vaccum source behind the throttle body wastegate if it doesnt have an internal one buy SAFC or piggy back or aftermarket ECU and get it tuned.......depending on the siz of the turbo and the brand names...or lack of brands you run it can be very cheap or quite pricey. I would say get you no bigger than a GT30 or GT2871R and some mid level components with an SAFC and call it a day with 220ish HP in your small truck.