LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Toyota Trucks & SUVs

Notices

Sport or Off road? need help deciding.

Old 10-03-2011, 03:39 AM   #1
Troyd is on a distinguished road
Troyd's Tacoma Gallery
Sport or Off road? need help deciding.

It seems to me that more people have off roads than sports. I love and want the look of the sport in the worst way but it seems more people go with the off road. If anyone can help make up my mind it would be appreciated. I think in the long run over the years i want it to have a lil more of an off road look to it ( small lift, wheels, mud/all terrain tires.) I wont be wheeling it as a hobby just more or less using it for hunting , steep snowy drive ways , muddy feilds ect. The reason i like the sport is bc all the painted accents and hood scoop. The off roads look ok but im not to thrilled on the chrome grille and bumper and no hood scoop. Over all what my better buy and why, also the dealer has gotten me down to $29400 for a brand new sport is there more room to budge in the price you think?
Old 10-03-2011, 04:04 AM   #2
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
It's all what you're going to use it for and personal opinion. Everyone with a sport will tell you to go with the sport, everyone with the OR will tell you OR.

IMO, if you are going to go through the mud and offroad to hunt, go with the OR. A-TRAC (Oh noes, I said it.) and a locker in the back help a ton when the going gets rough. As for the aesthetics, tacos are very easy to mod; paint the grill and get a hood scopped hood and you'll be good to go. Better to have the capability and add the look then have the look but not the capability ( even though the 4x4 sports are very capable offroad, don't get me wrong. just dont have lockers)

and for the scoop, it's purely aesthetic, and has no function. Just throwing that out there
Old 10-03-2011, 04:56 PM   #3
Troyd's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks, and yeah i do realize that with the scoop. Do the sports have A-TRAC? what else do the OR have over the sports?
Old 10-03-2011, 05:02 PM   #4
Cybertronian Tacoma
TacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
TacomaPrime's Tacoma Gallery
If I could have found a sport near me for what I was looking to pay, I would have gotten a sport. But a great deal on an offroad fell into my lap, so i got it.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:00 PM   #8
Troyd's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah is for the sport before tax's and title, i will have to try getting them down more. I am dealing with 2 dealers so its getting competive between them both which is nice. I think i may have to just wait til the end of the month and walk in with cash and hand and tell them im not paying more than X amount. But what should x amount be? They are already 2300 below msrp. Its double cab short bed auto trans sport.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:09 PM   #10
Questions... Morphology? Longevity? Incept dates?
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
What are your intentions for the truck ?
Old 10-03-2011, 06:11 PM   #11
Motorboatin' SOB
Fink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Former FF/EMT
Name: Chris
Fink's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't put too much weight on opinions here...I would just go with what is right for your needs.

I also sincerely hope that price is for a 4x4...

Fink
Old 10-03-2011, 06:48 PM   #12
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Go Sport with the Skewp if you plan on Crawling the Mall like OZ-T.
Go Off Road if you want to have fun off road.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:51 PM   #13
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Wheelin4Banger View Post
Old 10-03-2011, 06:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyd View Post
Thanks, and yeah i do realize that with the scoop. Do the sports have A-TRAC? what else do the OR have over the sports?
only the ORs come standard with A-TRAC, and with a more offroad-aimed suspension
Old 10-03-2011, 06:57 PM   #15
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fink View Post
I wouldn't put too much weight on opinions here...I would just go with what is right for your needs.

I also sincerely hope that price is for a 4x4...

Fink
This

All depends on what your intentions are. I had the same dilemma as many have I'm sure. But I came to the conclusion that I didn't plan any serious hard core off roading and since I was getting a 4x4 anyway that it would be enough for me. I do wish I had a more aggressive all terrain tire though. But that will come in due time.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:59 PM   #16
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konaborne View Post
only the ORs come standard with A-TRAC, and with a more offroad-aimed suspension
I was told the suspension was the same on both the sport and or.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:24 PM   #17
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Wheelin4Banger View Post
Suck my balls
Old 10-03-2011, 10:34 PM   #18
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDawgfan View Post
I was told the suspension was the same on both the sport and or.
The offroad has progressive coils and thiner anti sway bars.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:37 PM   #19
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
I bought the sport because I never go offroad. My last Tacoma was an SR5. I like the look of the sport or offroad over the SR5. I tow a bass boat & have never used the LSD button. Didn't have that option on my SR5.

I would suggest you go to the dealer & have them put both side by side & you look them over. Test drive them both. That will help you decide. I looked at both. I liked the Sport better. I like the color keyed bumpers over the chrome. & the mesh grill.

$29400 is high for a 2wheel drive. I hope that is a 4x4 price.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:38 PM   #20

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by genxer36 View Post
I bought the sport because I never go offroad. My last Tacoma was an SR5. I like the look of the sport or offroad over the SR5. I tow a bass boat & have never used the LSD button. Didn't have that option on my SR5.

I would suggest you go to the dealer & have them put both side by side & you look them over. That will help you decide. I have a feeling you will purchase the Offroad package. Since you live in a snow state & plan on going offroad.
As far as snow is concerned , lockers and ATRAC have no advantage over good ole 4x4