Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Toyota Trucks & SUVs

Notices

diesel hilux, would you buy one if you could??

View Poll Results: Would you buy a diesel hilux?
Hell yes!! I'll trade the taco for it today 83 49.40%
Never!! 23 13.69%
I'm really interested, at the right price! 60 35.71%
What's a diesel hilux?? diesel's are stupid. 2 1.19%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-11-2011, 12:25 AM   #1
bhh2000 is just really nicebhh2000 is just really nicebhh2000 is just really nicebhh2000 is just really nicebhh2000 is just really nice
Name: Ben
bhh2000's Tacoma Gallery
diesel hilux, would you buy one if you could??

This is completely hypothetical as of right now but I have a friend that travels from central America to the us fairly regularly and we were talking about how great the diesel hilux's they have are. Anyway. I know how everyone on here talks about them but, given the chance would you buy one? He wants to know if he was able to bring a few low milage, 4x4 diesel 's with him on his drives back and fourth would anyone on here be actually interested in buying one?? And if so any idea how much? Can't wait to hear.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:41 AM   #2
Street glide or die
yotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
yotamikez's Tacoma Gallery
Please explain to me how this is going to work. Your friend is going to go to central america... buy these trucks... I guess trailer them home... and sell them? I want some details. I thought they couldn't be registered or some shit. Please explain how this process works. I'm interested to see how this goes.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:49 AM   #3
TROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Arty
TROKITA's Tacoma Gallery
i wouldnt get one...... not because i dont like diesel, but because it will be too expensive to import and two you lose the gas cap and your looking at about half as much as a honda cost to get another one...And the time to ship it to you
Old 11-11-2011, 02:03 AM   #4
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
No.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:28 AM   #5
jdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jdmdcfan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhh2000 View Post
This is completely hypothetical as of right now but I have a friend that travels from central America to the us fairly regularly and we were talking about how great the diesel hilux's they have are. Anyway. I know how everyone on here talks about them but, given the chance would you buy one? He wants to know if he was able to bring a few low milage, 4x4 diesel 's with him on his drives back and fourth would anyone on here be actually interested in buying one?? And if so any idea how much? Can't wait to hear.
The honda community has been doing this for a while now. Owning a grey market vehicle is a headache unless you live in a state/region with no emissions or they just don't enforce this uncommon vehicle law. One main concern is usually imported cars that are registered "legally" have the same model or very similar model to register under in the states. The hilux does not. Unless it's grandfathered in I don't see it happening legally. What year did the first hilux come out? If its more than 25 years old you can legally register it. Other wise it's illegal no matter what other people tell you. By the way they are now crushing imported cars no questions asked and the bill is on you.
Old 11-11-2011, 03:10 AM   #6
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
I would love to, but only if it was sold here by Toyota - for practical reasons such as parts and maintenance. These things never break, but if you have a gray product it will break just because of Murphy's Law.
Old 11-11-2011, 03:24 AM   #7
Hacksaw engineer
Trapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud of

Trapper6speed's Tacoma Gallery
I want one. Most of your maintince stuff could crossover to the industrial side if you know what your looking for. Only thing that bothers me is the diesel fj80 had a bad crank problem in there diesels. I don't know why. But I would think Toyota would have built a better diesel by now.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:38 AM   #8
rex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: SSGT, BMET
rex99's Tacoma Gallery
oh wow a diesel hilux thread

thats new
Old 11-11-2011, 06:21 AM   #10
Sticks For Troops
AFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: (2T2X1)Air Force Rigger
Name: "Butters"
AFButters's Tacoma Gallery
REPOST
Old 11-11-2011, 06:25 AM   #11
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
I'd buy one just for the diesel motor. I don't think the the Hilux is the prettiest truck around. I'm beating a dead horse here but I just want a diesel option in the Tacoma.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:28 AM   #12
Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

chadderkdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by REX_111_MDG_BMET View Post
oh wow a diesel hilux thread

thats new
This.... I vote future ban on anything related to hypothetical motor combinations
Old 11-11-2011, 06:30 AM   #13
Life is good!!
johneman is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohneman is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohneman is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohneman is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohneman is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohneman is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohneman is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohneman is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohneman is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohneman is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohneman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Aviation Ordinance E-5
Name: Ken
johneman's Tacoma Gallery
Rented one while in Curacao and really enjoyed driving it. Fuel mileage was good and there was plenty of power...Years later, I bet performance as well as economy got better...
Old 11-11-2011, 08:13 AM   #14
Zoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Zoot's Tacoma Gallery
They offer a new Turbo Diesel in them as well as the 4.0L V6 in our Tacomas, the guy at Toyota said he liked my Tacoma better but Hilux mpg can't be beat.. 38mpg combined as advertised. He claimed he'd seen 44 in his..
Old 11-11-2011, 08:47 AM   #15
MontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to behold

Name: Colter
MontanaTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Why is it everyone on this sight wants a diesel but not a v8 in there truck? I vote v8.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:48 AM   #16
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Nope.

And yet another Hilux thread.

live via
Old 11-11-2011, 10:13 AM   #17
Dirty 3'
RickerRicker19 is on a distinguished road

Marines: Motor Transport Licensing Sergeant V3/4
Name: John
RickerRicker19's Tacoma Gallery
Pound for Pound can't beat diesel for torque. Doesn't matter if you have a screamin v8 or v12. Plus on top of that diesels are generally longer lasting engines as well. I drove a turbo diesel for a couple of years in Japan and it was wonderful. I think I filled it twice a month and that was with driving it every day.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:41 AM   #18
rex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: SSGT, BMET
rex99's Tacoma Gallery
Yawn

Couldn't care less

I don't know what's worse... Diesel hilux threads or 2012/2013/2056 Tacoma threads
Old 11-11-2011, 10:54 AM   #19
Banned
hayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mike
hayabusa3303's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by yotamikez View Post
I thought they couldn't be registered or some shit. Please explain how this process works. I'm interested to see how this goes.

The main thing it has to go though a port of entry that will let it" pass" with the paper work. Alot of port of entry places know about the hilux so it cant come into the states. Some how one hilux made it though the jersey port of entry and he got papers on it so it can be a LEGAL truck here to drive.

If it is imported illegally they do have the right to take the truck and send it to the crusher. i have heard horror stories of this. Not just of the hilux but of other racing cough japan engines.

I tried couple years ago to get a hilux but it failed at the port of entry couldnt find one that would help me out. They claim the reason they wouldnt import it was becuase of the EPA and its not currrent here on the DOT specs that where set.

Hopes this helps.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:14 AM   #20
JLeeFJ62 is on a distinguished road
Name: John Lee
JLeeFJ62's Tacoma Gallery
diesel

Why waste your time on a Hilux and 25 years of your life waiting. FJ45 is all you need.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/vehicles-tra...ive-speed.html