Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Toyota Trucks & SUVs

Notices

1990 Toyota Truck keeps breaking passenger side front axle

Old 11-13-2011, 01:30 PM   #1
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tinker_troy's Tacoma Gallery
1990 Toyota Truck keeps breaking passenger side front axle

OK
So here's the deal. My good friend in Wyoming bought this 1990 Toyota Truck with a Pro Comp 4" drop bracket lift, front and rear lock right lockers and 35" tires.
First time he took it off road he was loving it and was singing the praises of toyota.
The next time, didn't change anything, and the passenger side front axle let go within half a mile of putting it in 4wd.
So he replaces it... goes back out, doesn't even make it out of the parking lot in to the off road park before it goes AGAIN!
So he limps it back home and inspects everything and finds the steering stop bolts broken off.
So, once again he replaces the axle, puts new bolts in for steering stops, goes out again, makes it a couple miles, and while driving in a straight line going 5 mph, it happens again!

Anybody got any advice?

Old 11-13-2011, 02:08 PM   #2
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

oh, I was wrong, he put new tie rods on and got it aligned after the first time out wheeling and THEN it started sh*tting axles. I wouldn't think this would affect anything but just wanted to throw that in there.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:24 AM   #4
I feel so Devo

buuuuump
Old 11-14-2011, 07:34 AM   #5
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
This is why lunch box lockers are not good for the front. It sounds like the front end bound up wile locked and snapped the axle. And if he was in the parking lot (on pavement ) in 4wd they will snap fast with the lunch box locker. I would recommend pulling the lockright and installing a ARB this should stop the axle from breaking all the time. But a locked IFS will snap axle this is why I never locked my front end.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:44 AM   #6
I feel so Devo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
This is why lunch box lockers are not good for the front. It sounds like the front end bound up wile locked and snapped the axle. And if he was in the parking lot (on pavement ) in 4wd they will snap fast with the lunch box locker. I would recommend pulling the lockright and installing a ARB this should stop the axle from breaking all the time. But a locked IFS will snap axle this is why I never locked my front end.
Didn't snap the axle. It gets pulled apart at the inner (closest to the differential) CV Joint.

And it's a dirt parking lot
Old 11-14-2011, 10:24 AM   #7
Poodoo
luk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
luk8272's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Doesn't sound like the answer to the Op's issues. The last thing he states is that in a straight line it comes apart again, just being locked won't do that.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:34 AM   #8
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinker_troy View Post
Didn't snap the axle. It gets pulled apart at the inner (closest to the differential) CV Joint.

And it's a dirt parking lot
Quote:
Originally Posted by luk8272 View Post
Doesn't sound like the answer to the Op's issues. The last thing he states is that in a straight line it comes apart again, just being locked won't do that.
Yeah sorry I'm just now seeing that. I don't know how it could just pull out like that unless the ball joints are messed up and the spindle is moving away from the UCA & LCA. Does he have the right axle in the truck? He could of installed the wrong size I've has the parts store give me the wrong one before I didn't even notice until it was just about installed.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:31 PM   #9
I feel so Devo

Quote:
Yeah sorry I'm just now seeing that. I don't know how it could just pull out like that unless the ball joints are messed up and the spindle is moving away from the UCA & LCA. Does he have the right axle in the truck? He could of installed the wrong size I've has the parts store give me the wrong one before I didn't even notice until it was just about installed.
everything looks good from what he says and he double checked the axle to make sure it was right.
he sent me a few more pics I will post tonight when I gets home and maybe that will help to confound and confuse more people.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:23 PM   #10
I feel so Devo

here is the pic of the lastest axle come-apart
not much damage since he was going so slow

Old 11-15-2011, 07:26 AM   #11
I feel so Devo

BuMp!

(imagine picture of big boobed chick here to attract attention)
Old 11-15-2011, 07:32 AM   #12
Buckeye Member
cc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: HT1st Class
Name: Chas
cc350's Tacoma Gallery
I'd guess the axles are to short for the lift or he's missing something in the frontend that's loose. I'd check balljoints, arm bushings,diff mounts.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:45 AM   #13
G scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Garrett
G scott04's Tacoma Gallery
Oh.. sorry.. wrong thread...

Not really good luck op!