96 T100 turn key...silence.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:15 AM   #1
Shoeless
jessea1a is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard: SAR!
Name: Jesse
jessea1a's Tacoma Gallery
96 T100 turn key...silence.

Ok so I've got a 1996 3.4L V6 T100 (150k miles). Few weeks ago I got in to drive home from work and when I turned the key nothing happened. So far I have:

-replaced starter (with a brand new one)
-replaced blown fuses
-new battery (cleaned terminals)

Still getting nothing when I turn the key and not sure where to turn to next. Suggestions?
Old 11-16-2011, 08:16 AM   #2
Motorboatin' SOB
Fink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Former FF/EMT
Name: Chris
Fink's Tacoma Gallery
Do you get any power at all when you turn the key? Lights, blower, windows, etc...?

Fink
Old 11-16-2011, 08:20 AM   #3
Shoeless

None, unless its hooked up with jumper cables, so the new battery drained, but still can't start it up. Lights etc. all work fine with cables hooked up.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:22 AM   #4
Motorboatin' SOB
Fink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Fink's Tacoma Gallery
That's strange.

You've verified that both ends of the battery cables are hooked up and making good contact, correct?

Fink
Old 11-16-2011, 08:26 AM   #5
Shoeless

Exrtremely strange. Yeah I tightened them up after I cleaned them.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:32 AM   #6
Motorboatin' SOB

Fink's Tacoma Gallery
I would wait for some electrical guys to find the thread and maybe they can chime in with some thoughts.

Brand new battery, good connections...sounds like it should work to me.

Fink
Old 11-16-2011, 08:38 AM   #7
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Can you jump start it, if so, will it stay running?
Old 11-16-2011, 09:05 AM   #8
Shoeless

Even with a jump it won't start, but all the electricals work. I'll turn the key and get one click, then nothing.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:42 AM   #9
MPG? LOL
sean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
sean266's Tacoma Gallery
Subd for outcome
Old 11-16-2011, 09:43 AM   #10
Motorboatin' SOB

Fink's Tacoma Gallery

Fink
Old 11-16-2011, 09:48 AM   #11
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Do you have a battery tender? If so, try putting that on charge for a little bit and see if you can at least get enough juice in the battery to make it turn over (disconnect it from the truck since it seems the truck is discharging the battery, even when it's off). Might seem trivial but you need to isolate the problem, right now there are too many possibilities.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:53 AM   #12
Shoeless

The battery tender we've got on base is busted...that was the first thing we tried when she wouldn't start the first time. If it was just the battery shouldn't it turn over just fine via jumper cables?
Old 11-16-2011, 10:19 AM   #13
krap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krap22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessea1a View Post
The battery tender we've got on base is busted...that was the first thing we tried when she wouldn't start the first time. If it was just the battery shouldn't it turn over just fine via jumper cables?

Do you have a multimeter? i would first start with the voltage across the battery(should be something around 12-13v with out it running). Then i would find the connection to the starter and see if you have power there. You should get the same V there as long as there is a good connection.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:31 AM   #14
Shoeless

Quote:
Originally Posted by krap22 View Post
Do you have a multimeter? i would first start with the voltage across the battery(should be something around 12-13v with out it running). Then i would find the connection to the starter and see if you have power there. You should get the same V there as long as there is a good connection.
Yeah I'm sure there is one hiding somewhere. I'll get out there this evening if the rain lets up at all...we know the new starter is getting power because my buddy got shocked by it.
The battery might be drained in which case I'll swap it with another one and see if that works.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:39 AM   #15
Motorboatin' SOB

Fink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah I'm sure there is one hiding somewhere. I'll get out there this evening if the rain lets up at all...we know the new starter is getting power because my buddy got shocked by it.
The battery might be drained in which case I'll swap it with another one and see if that works.
If there is any chance the battery is drained, then I would definitely make sure it is charged. That's an obvious one, but it sounds like there is a chance that it's dead - which would cause what you are describing.

Fink
Old 11-16-2011, 10:45 AM   #16
Wild Ginger
BrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BrettBretterson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If it was just the battery shouldn't it turn over just fine via jumper cables?
No, this is a common misconception. If your battery is toast, just hooking up cables to another car won't provide enough juice to jump yours. It will provide enough juice to run your lights, but not start the car.

If your battery alone provides no starter clicks upon turning the key, but you do get a click on jumper cables, your battery is done. You need to at the very least fully trickle charge your battery, but likely need a brand new battery altogether. It sounds to me like your alternator might need replacement too.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:00 AM   #17
Shoeless

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettBretterson View Post
No, this is a common misconception. If your battery is toast, just hooking up cables to another car won't provide enough juice to jump yours. It will provide enough juice to run your lights, but not start the car.

If your battery alone provides no starter clicks upon turning the key, but you do get a click on jumper cables, your battery is done. You need to at the very least fully trickle charge your battery, but likely need a brand new battery altogether. It sounds to me like your alternator might need replacement too.
Ahh good to know this, thanks. I guess the new battery drained because I hooked it up, (stupid move) forgot to disconnect it and left it sitting there until the new starter arrived? I'll try a different/new battery and see if that helps. Likely any grounds might be shot? This seems like an electrical problem...not my forte. Neither is mechanical but hey...
Old 11-16-2011, 11:29 AM   #18

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Beat me to it about jumping a car with a completely dead battery.

The post about the multi-meter is a good diagnostic also.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:57 AM   #19
Wild Ginger
BrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BrettBretterson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ahh good to know this, thanks. I guess the new battery drained because I hooked it up, (stupid move) forgot to disconnect it and left it sitting there until the new starter arrived? I'll try a different/new battery and see if that helps. Likely any grounds might be shot? This seems like an electrical problem...not my forte. Neither is mechanical but hey...
It is possible that you have grounding issues, but unlikely. It sounds like you've just got either a bad alternator or bad battery. Or both now if your battery died due to a failed alternator. Unfortunately unless you can get either tested by a shop, you're in a bit of a chicken and egg situation.

A shop or auto parts store can test the alternator to see if it is providing charge, and can load-test the battery to see if it is failing. I just noticed where you are, and it looks like you may be a bit detached from either...but are there any auto repair or parts shops in Neah Bay at all??
Old 11-16-2011, 12:06 PM   #20
Shoeless

Quote:
It is possible that you have grounding issues, but unlikely. It sounds like you've just got either a bad alternator or bad battery. Or both now if your battery died due to a failed alternator. Unfortunately unless you can get either tested by a shop, you're in a bit of a chicken and egg situation.

A shop or auto parts store can test the alternator to see if it is providing charge, and can load-test the battery to see if it is failing. I just noticed where you are, and it looks like you may be a bit detached from either...but are there any auto repair or parts shops in Neah Bay at all??
There aren't any in Neah Bay, but I live in Port Angeles and there are shops and AutoZone, etc. I'll pull out the battery and alternator and get those tested this weekend. Thanks for all the responses guys, very helpful!