Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Toyota Trucks & SUVs

Notices

Rebuild

Old 12-11-2011, 03:05 PM   #1
hillinsan is on a distinguished road
hillinsan's Tacoma Gallery
Rebuild

Anyone know where to get a rebuild or crate motor for a 85 toyota 22re and install thats reputable? Help!!!! My buddy needs a new engine!!!!
Old 12-11-2011, 03:07 PM   #2
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
LC Engineering sells high performance 22RE long blocks and street short blocks

http://www.lceperformance.com/Engine...ocks-s/142.htm
Old 12-11-2011, 03:27 PM   #3
hillinsan is on a distinguished road
hillinsan's Tacoma Gallery
rebuild

I just read a post about LC and saw a complaint about a defective motor sold to an unhappy person, gonna try and stay away from them, have you used them before?
Old 12-11-2011, 03:29 PM   #4
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
No, but that would be the first complaint I've heard about.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:36 PM   #5
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I sold auto parts for three years, including rebuilt engines. All I can say after that experience is to either buy from the Toyota dealer (if available, didn't used to be) or go through a reputable independent local shop for the entire job.

Do not buy an engine somewhere and take it to a mechanic for install. (done that). If something goes wrong, whose fault is it? The rebuilder or the mechanic? That will be the debate. If you drop the truck off and pick it back up with a new engine installed, then that's not your problem. It's the shops. Don't get caught in the middle.

All the chain store engines are crap. Had nothing but trouble. I did work in a shop for a brief period of time and put in two Ford dealership longblocks. The were remanufactured and bought through Ford. They are the only two rebuild engines I have seen that were not a hassle.

The 22res are too old now to find a low mileage used engine. The dealership used to offer a shortblock and a bare head casting, but no fully assembled and warrantied longblock.

If I were in your friend's position, I would take the whole truck to a local independent shop familiar with Toyotas and request they pull the engine and rebuild it in house or have it rebuilt at a machine shop. Make sure the warranty is through them and them only. Do not get involved in the finger pointing that will occur if there is a problem.

Good luck.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:49 PM   #6
Team 4Runner
wesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Wes
wesrunner's Tacoma Gallery
That's the first complaint I've heard about from LC as well.

Never had any problems getting parts for my 22R... Prices were kinda MEH... but it's always been worth it since I've only ever had positive dealings with them...