Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Toyota Trucks & SUVs

Notices

Best Toyota expedition rig

Old 12-16-2011, 04:57 PM   #1
TheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Seth
TheGloryFades's Tacoma Gallery
Best Toyota expedition rig

Sometime next year after I'm settled in at my new job I plan on trading in the PreRunner and buying a vehicle to do as an overland/expedition rig. Which Toyota would you pick?
What would you add also suspension, armor, ect

• Must seat at least 4 as I plan on having kids eventually
• Must be 4x4 obviously
• A-trac would be nice
• Automatic transmission only, NOT impressed with my 5spd manual
• Ability to sleep 4 would be a big plus but not necessary
Old 12-16-2011, 04:59 PM   #2
doing my thing.
kcbmx is a splendid one to beholdkcbmx is a splendid one to beholdkcbmx is a splendid one to beholdkcbmx is a splendid one to beholdkcbmx is a splendid one to beholdkcbmx is a splendid one to behold

Firefighter: Hotshot
Name: Marco
kcbmx's Tacoma Gallery
fj cruiser or 4runner
Old 12-16-2011, 05:04 PM   #3
We can't stop here, this is bat country.
dayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
dayNnite4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcbmx View Post
fj cruiser or 4runner
those or im sure u could sleep 4 in a tacoma or tundra with a longbed and cap
Old 12-16-2011, 05:05 PM   #4
TheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Those are the three I'm looking at currently. Leaning in favor of the suv's though
Old 12-16-2011, 05:06 PM   #5
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
i would suggest a 4runner since you plan on a family, otherwise i would suggest a taco. a rooftop tent. ATRAC with a rear locker would obviously be a key peice of equipment to have. also a front aftermarket high clearance bumper that will fit a wench for self recovery, sliders. a decent mid travel suspension with coil overs would suit your needs just fine. i would also suggest a front locker especially if you are plan on being out in no mans land solo by yourself. and that's just the very basics of proprly setting up an expo rig
Old 12-16-2011, 05:10 PM   #6
Law Enforcement:
I plan on having a winch and onboard air for sure. High clearance bumper up front but havent seen any high clearance rear 4runner bumpers.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:12 PM   #7
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
If you're like me and still want a truck as opposed to a SUV, a RTT can still work with a truck

Old 12-16-2011, 05:14 PM   #8
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jberry813 View Post
If you're like me and still want a truck as opposed to a SUV, a RTT can still work with a truck ;-)

this is how i would have mine setup..you can still fit 4 in the cab comfetably in still have all the cargo space in the bed for all of your gear. and the bonus of a tent that folds out and ready to sleep in less then 2 minutes
Old 12-16-2011, 05:15 PM   #9
Power Top

here you go..without a doubt one of the best overland expo forums..you'll learn a lot from here

http://expeditionportal.com/forum/index.php
Old 12-16-2011, 05:19 PM   #10
Law Enforcement:
A rtt is definitely an option with a DC taco. I do like how the Tacoma looks but rarely use the bed. I've been lurking on expedition portal for awhile looking through build threads
Old 12-16-2011, 05:21 PM   #11
jflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jflan's Tacoma Gallery
Flip Pac (pop-up) type or RTT (roof top tent) on a double cab Taco.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...d-Truck-Photos

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...edition-Travel!
Old 12-16-2011, 05:24 PM   #12
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
And depending on how you build you're rig up, it can be very multipurpose. To be honest, I use my Tacoma more than my Tundra.

Old 12-16-2011, 05:31 PM   #13
Law Enforcement:
If I do a taco it'll be dclb with a camper or something like allpros expedition cage set up with rtt
Old 12-16-2011, 08:46 PM   #14
haddix will become famous soon enoughhaddix will become famous soon enough

haddix's Tacoma Gallery
I vote dcab tacoma w/ topper then a 4runner in close 2nd. What type of 4runner would you get? If its a 5th gen trail edition i'd probably choose that.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:06 PM   #15
Law Enforcement:
No need for the trail team, bumpers will get changed and I believe I can get a trac and a locker on other models
Old 01-09-2012, 12:35 PM   #16
AllBLKTaco will become famous soon enough

Army: 101st Airborne, 3rd ACR Ft Bliss
AllBLKTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Here's an idea...

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...cos-build.html
Old 01-09-2012, 02:22 PM   #17
tired
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
I've got what I think could be a helpful opinion on this.....but maybe not.

I've got a Land Cruiser FZJ80 and a Dbl Cab Tacoma both are moderately built and geared more for overland use than for rockcrawling. So I can speak from my own experience with a SUV vs Truck point of view.

To get to my answer right off the bat, if I were choosing one, I would take the Truck with a RTT over the SUV. Having used both of mine, there is just some versatility with the truck that is nice. Sometime you just have to haul stuff that is messy or stinky like firewood or fuel or broken parts etc that are nice to just put in a truck bed and not have inside the vehicle with you and passengers. I know there are ways to carry all of that stuff outside the vehicle on an SUV, but I'm just saying that it's been nice to have a truck bed.

The downside to the truck bed is security unless you have a topper on it. With an open bed your gear is exposed to quick fingers and the elements too. But that's why I have a topper for my truck. If I'm worried about security or weather, the topper is on it. If it's not a concern then I can run an open bed.

In either case for sleeping 4 a RTT is the way to go. There is no vehicle except for an RV that will comfortably sleep 4 people inside. With a RTT, you can sleep 4 in the right tent, or put two in the truck and two in the tent.

A big thing to also consider is how long do you intend to be out camping usually. If it's usually just an overnight run then something like an FJ Cruiser or 4Runner might be fine. If it's longer then you need to plan on having more gear which takes up more space and that space can quickly disappear in a 4Runner and especially in a FJ with a smaller cargo area. Which means more of it on a roofrack or tire carrier, or in a trailer which then causes you to reconsider the security and weather issue. On the flip side the larger size of the Land Cruiser has been really nice. Ours is super comfy for our family of 6. Although with all 6 of us gear storage has become an issue on longer trips. That's why I also have an offroad trailer. But if I were you I would look at a Land Cruiser as an excellent option. If you look on expedition portal there is an article written about the top 10 used Overland Vehicles. http://www.expeditionportal.com/reso...-vehicles.html In that particular article the Land Cruiser took the #1 and #4 spot with the Tacoma as #2. I have a few slightly different opinions about some parts of that article but overall I think it is a very well thought out article and I agree with the selection of nearly all of those vehicles.

Here's my trucks that I'm basing my opinions on.

My Tacoma in a variety of configurations.

My Land Cruiser.

Some friends Land Cruisers. These really are outstanding overland vehicles.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:27 PM   #19
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
Old 01-09-2012, 03:30 PM   #20
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
If you really want to travel, a real Land Cruiser is your best bet. A friend of mine just traveled through Europe and all the way through Africa north to south with zero breakdowns in an old Land Cruiser. They are roomy enough inside for long expeditions. The Tacomas and 4-runners get a little cramped.

http://www.mission4x4africa.com/