Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Toyota Trucks & SUVs

Notices

2013: New Engines??

Old 02-17-2012, 08:26 AM   #1
jdub79 is on a distinguished road
jdub79's Tacoma Gallery
Cool 2013: New Engines??

Hey guys...
New to the site, as a prospective Tacoma buyer. I've been researching till I'm blue in the face...I hear now that the Tacoma is due to have new engines in the next model year or so? I've read all the "mega-threads", 2013 threads, etc...they all seem to be jokes of some type or other.

I've heard rumor mills touting new turbo 4 bangers, possible hybrids, and small turbo diesels.

I'm thinking of holding off on the 2012 model year, in hopes that the 2013 will have some better torque/gas mileage combinations. Is it worth waiting? Has anyone heard anything more concrete lately?

Thanks!
Old 02-17-2012, 08:34 AM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
No one knows anything. /end thread
Old 02-17-2012, 08:39 AM   #3
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I know a guy that has a friend with a roommate that worked at Toyota Canada and he said we might see a diesel Tacoma for 2013
Old 02-17-2012, 08:40 AM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
I know a guy that has a friend with a roommate that worked at Toyota Canada and he said we might see a diesel Tacoma for 2013
Is it going to run on maple syrup?
Old 02-17-2012, 08:43 AM   #5
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Is it going to run on maple syrup?
Yep , bio-diesel
Old 02-17-2012, 08:43 AM   #6
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Yep , bio-diesel
Old 02-17-2012, 08:44 AM   #7

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtsTRD View Post
Pretty sure he said it would only be offered in Canada though , something about emission standards
Old 02-17-2012, 08:47 AM   #8
Banned
I'm going to spring for the W16 quad turbo optional engine. It is 5 dollars more and it get's 200 MPG.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:59 AM   #9
jdub79 is on a distinguished road
jdub79's Tacoma Gallery
Bunch of smartasses. Is that how the whole Toyota community is? Lol. Should I try the Nissan forums?
Old 02-17-2012, 09:01 AM   #10

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub79 View Post
Bunch of smartasses. Is that how the whole Toyota community is?
Bottom line is , nobody knows yet .
Old 02-17-2012, 09:02 AM   #11
GO JETS GO
LMR is one of the sharper tools in the shedLMR is one of the sharper tools in the shedLMR is one of the sharper tools in the shedLMR is one of the sharper tools in the shedLMR is one of the sharper tools in the shedLMR is one of the sharper tools in the shedLMR is one of the sharper tools in the shedLMR is one of the sharper tools in the shedLMR is one of the sharper tools in the shedLMR is one of the sharper tools in the shedLMR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lee
LMR's Tacoma Gallery
NO, just the guys from California
Old 02-17-2012, 09:06 AM   #12
Membor
Cowboyz has a spectacular aura aboutCowboyz has a spectacular aura aboutCowboyz has a spectacular aura about

Name: Luke
Cowboyz's Tacoma Gallery
I have talked to multiple friends that work at Toyota and they all say there will be no diesel engine in a tacoma/tundra in the US. They said they are being told it is old Technology and that they are being told it will never happen. This is just what they have been told so take it for what its worth. but i wouldnt get your hopes up.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:11 AM   #13

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboyz View Post
I have talked to multiple friends that work at Toyota and they all say there will be no diesel engine in a tacoma/tundra in the US. They said they are being told it is old Technology and that they are being told it will never happen. This is just what they have been told so take it for what its worth. but i wouldnt get your hopes up.
I said Canada only
Old 02-17-2012, 09:17 AM   #15
Shake and Bake
4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jefferson
4wd Boss's Tacoma Gallery
its 2012. i'm pretty sure if toyota was gonna introduce a new engine in 2013 it would be known in the media already. kinda like ford going back to the infamous 5.0 engine - we knew about it 2 years ahead of production.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:22 AM   #16
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wd Boss View Post
its 2012. i'm pretty sure if toyota was gonna introduce a new engine in 2013 it would be known in the media already. kinda like ford going back to the infamous 5.0 engine - we knew about it 2 years ahead of production.
I dunno... We didn't know about the facelift on the new Taco until like 2 weeks from them hitting the lots. And that was leaked info.

Seeing as how the 4Runner and FJ have not changed motors to anything monumental, at very best the Tacoma will get what they have now for the 2013 model.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:52 AM   #17
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub79 View Post
Bunch of smartasses. Is that how the whole Toyota community is? Lol. Should I try the Nissan forums?
Well I'm being a smartass because you didn't take the time to search. There are already many threads on this. No one knows anything. There is however a bunch of speculation from unreliable sources.

If you wanna go Nissan just because a few members were being smartasses then by all means head on over. Don't let the door hit you on the ass.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:57 AM   #18
Sunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sunner's Tacoma Gallery
If your not in a rush to get a new truck, just wait it out till the details are released later in the year. If there are updates you like then go for the 2013 and if you dont like it, you might save a few bucks by getting a 2012 then. And I dont see how a couple guys being smartasses on a forum would change your decision on what truck your going to buy but good luck with whatever you go with.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:04 AM   #19
tractng is on a distinguished road
tractng's Tacoma Gallery
I am on the same boat here. I test drove a 2012 and like it but hoping to get more details on 2013.

What are people paying OTD price in calif (8.75% tax) for 2012 double cab short bed, just SR5 with towing? Windows sticker was 277XX. I checked truecar and come to conclusion I should offer 27,200 OTD. Any thoughts?
Old 02-17-2012, 10:32 AM   #20
06yoda is a jewel in the rough06yoda is a jewel in the rough06yoda is a jewel in the rough06yoda is a jewel in the rough
Navy: Engineman
Name: Tanner
06yoda's Tacoma Gallery
It's not that it's "Old Technology". It's the fact that it is not the direction the U.S. Govt. is planning to go. Hybrid technology is unfortunately taking over in the U.S. while Europe is taking advantage of the market utilizing their longer lasting, better mpg, "Old Technology" Clean Diesels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboyz View Post