Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Toyota Trucks & SUVs

Notices

Wife wants a Rav4. Any opinions on them?

Old 03-08-2012, 09:36 PM   #1
Huge Member
ScreamingTaco is a jewel in the roughScreamingTaco is a jewel in the roughScreamingTaco is a jewel in the roughScreamingTaco is a jewel in the rough

Army:
ScreamingTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Wife wants a Rav4. Any opinions on them?

Hi.

Not sure if the Rav4 qualifies as a car or an SUV... but I'm going to ask anyway...

My wife wants a Rav4 and I don't know anything about them. I'm wondering how good they are in terms of reliability, performance and safety.

She's looking at the Sport 4x4 and trying to decide between the 4cyl and 6cyl engine.

She wants something that'll handle well on snowy/icy highways as well as capable of doing some minor offloading down unmaintained trails (likes to fish).

I'd like to confirm if the 4WD is a full-time/AWD setup with locking differential instead of a T-Case?
Old 03-08-2012, 09:43 PM   #2
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
I am not sure about the 4WD system, so I would not want to guess at an answer, but I know that the RAVs are great little SUVs. My sister has had 2 of them, stil has the 2nd one, and her inlaws also has one. They have just good things to say about them.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:47 PM   #3
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
The subaru forrester is like the step up from the rav4. If she likes the look and functionality, I would put the extra money into the sub. But I just know this because my cousins girlfriend had two of them and I drove them a couple times and they are aaaaawesome. Sat in a couple rav4's as well, and the subaru is just a bit nicer.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:48 PM   #4
04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
04LTtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Rav 4 is a good vehicle. My older sister has one and she loves it.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:50 PM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I would rock one. Test drive both engines though. The V6 hauls ass.

http://youtu.be/5gLCA_BhgO4
Old 03-08-2012, 09:52 PM   #6
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingTaco View Post
Hi.

Not sure if the Rav4 qualifies as a car or an SUV... but I'm going to ask anyway...

My wife wants a Rav4 and I don't know anything about them. I'm wondering how good they are in terms of reliability, performance and safety.

She's looking at the Sport 4x4 and trying to decide between the 4cyl and 6cyl engine.

She wants something that'll handle well on snowy/icy highways as well as capable of doing some minor offloading down unmaintained trails (likes to fish).

I'd like to confirm if the 4WD is a full-time/AWD setup with locking differential instead of a T-Case?
I rented one last summer while on vacation. 4cyl, auto, 4x4. If I remember right it was full time 4x4 without a low range. I was visiting some friends in North Carolina. They live in the mountains near the Tennessee border. We put 1500 miles on the car in a week, most of it with three guys in it. AC on the whole time. It had plenty of power with the 4cyl. Don't get me wrong, it's not fast, but kept up with traffic no problem. Sometimes the engine does work hard and has to be spun up past 5,000 rpm to climb the larger hills. I still am not really comfortable with that, but it seems to be how the newer 4 bangers are. We didn't try to wheel it, but I wouldn't have had an issue going down an unmaintained dirt road with it. We got 23MPG average for the trip. Mostly two lane roads at 60-65, with some long interstate trips at 75-80MPH. And we drove it like most people drive a rental car. If I owned it and cared what happened to it, I'm sure the mileage could have been a bit better.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:45 PM   #7
Beaver Believer
tencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 4th BCT 25th ID Airborne
Name: Wes
tencrawler's Tacoma Gallery
My wife and I like our little Rav4. It's a 2011 FWD I4 Auto in Super White. Comfortable , great gas mileage (32 MPG), and its not the ugliest rig on the road.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:48 PM   #8
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
The V6 Sport model is pretty fun to drive. My Grandma traded her Solora in for one. It's an AWD, type set up but I do think there is a button to go into low range. Can't recall.

4Runner would be better off road. I wouldn't take a CRV down anything more than an unpaved road.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:50 PM   #9
aznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

aznutx's Tacoma Gallery
we have a 08 rav4 4cyl 2x4 and omg it's gas mileage, i've gotten 40 before, and avg low to mid30s and it's so roomy, yeah it's a little cheap looking on the inside, but you cannot beat mpg/room/reliablity, it's been in a couple accidents of which were not my fault, it was so costly though, so i guess one con is it takes a alot of $$ to fix up but other than that, it's an awesome suv
Old 03-08-2012, 10:51 PM   #10
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaos View Post
I wouldn't take a CRV down anything more than an unpaved road.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LyimRnoeBk
Old 03-08-2012, 10:58 PM   #11
Foward momentum
tx novice is on a distinguished road

Name: Ron
tx novice's Tacoma Gallery
Get it for your wife. You won't regret it. My gf has one and so did my old boss. Perfect car for women. V6 is fast when you want it to be. Awsome Toyota reliabilty and gas mileage . I put my stock x-runner rims on her car...looks pretty bad ass. 255/45-18 . Everything fits like stock !!
Old 03-08-2012, 10:59 PM   #12
KalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Electrician
Name: Jason
KalamaKid's Tacoma Gallery
Get an FJ. My old lady wanted one too. I talked up the FJ for two months and it worked out well. She's in love and were going to find one soon!
Old 03-08-2012, 11:13 PM   #13
elytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: I do what Goose did but not with Maverick...now I'm learning Mavericks skills too!!
Name: Travis
elytravis's Tacoma Gallery
I didn't like them when they first came out but I test drove a 2011 4cly 4wd and loved it. It felt roomy and handled very well. I've never driven one before, but it felt like I have been driving it forever. My wife sat in the back and liked it too. I was told the 4wd kicks in when needed kinda like awd but in 2wd when not neccissary which explains the MPG. The back hatch opens like a door and not a hatch which was good for my 4'11" wife. i really liked it and wanted to buy one and wasn't looking for a rav4. Almost got one but the new Taco is first for me. I plan on getting one later. Some have sun and moon roofs and leather. Definate win if you ask me.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:05 PM   #14
Huge Member
ScreamingTaco is a jewel in the roughScreamingTaco is a jewel in the roughScreamingTaco is a jewel in the roughScreamingTaco is a jewel in the rough

Army:
ScreamingTaco's Tacoma Gallery
She went with the V6 Sport in dark grey.

She's pretty happy right now.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:07 PM   #15
MikeluvstheTaco is on a distinguished road
Name: Michael
MikeluvstheTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingTaco View Post
She went with the V6 Sport in dark grey.

She's pretty happy right now.
Nice! My friends wife got one before this winter and she has nothing but good thing to say about it
Old 03-10-2012, 06:11 PM   #16
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Wife has an '04... minor restyle of the 2nd gen.
Hers is a 4 cyl 4door "Limited" and she's very happy with it.

It replaced her 2000 Echo (gave that one to her daughter) and has just over 120k on it.
Just took it for smog last December and the readings were zilch.

It had a couple of "out of the box" issues. The ECU shit the bed when it was a month old, and about 6 months later she lost an O2 sensor. It's been rock solid ever since. Hasn't been back to the dealer for anything, I've done all of the maintenance using Toyota parts.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:16 PM   #17
Hunt89 is on a distinguished road

Hunt89's Tacoma Gallery
great vehicles everyone i know that has one loves them, great fuel mileage. tried to convince the gf to buy one but she finds it to small and know different then a car. So instead she drives my tacoma most days haha
Old 03-10-2012, 06:17 PM   #18
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
The only thing I know first hand about them is that insurance is pretty high on them because of the tire on the back door. When my sister rear ended one it was somewhere around $3,000 to fix only because the tire carrier tweaked the whole door and rear body panels if that tire wouldn't have been there then it, using my unprofessional opinion, would have been probably a 300 repaint and bumper straightening job.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:35 PM   #20
fadippides is on a distinguished road
fadippides's Tacoma Gallery
We have a 2011 limited v6. Its the fastest car toyota makes 0-60 in 6.2 its normally fwd but switches to awd as needed. There is a button on the dash to lock it in awd under 25 mph. Decent in snow with winter tires on. Mpg is 27-30 on the highway, 4cyl gets about the same as the v6. Look for the subaru video of the rav4 on rollers to understand the limitations of the awd system