Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Toyota Trucks & SUVs

Notices

Fog Lamps on or off?

View Poll Results: Foglamps on or off in clear weather?
Off 41 25.79%
On 110 69.18%
Never really thought about it 8 5.03%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-01-2009, 10:03 PM   #41
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainwolfpup View Post
OK, to be honest I rarely know for sure if my fog/driving lights are on or off at any given time. I owe this frequent state of confusion to the engineers at Toyota for failing to put an indicator light on the dash, or at least illuminate the switch.

At night I can usually toggle them on and off a few times to figure out if they are or are not on (unless it's painfully obvious because I'm out in the darkness away from city lighted streets). Of course, this activity usually gets people to flash their headlights at me as they approach from the other direction..

In the day I have to gently rest my fingers over the switch and try to determine if it is in the recessed position (that's on) or the popped-out position (off).

So, like many others on this thread I just leave them on all the time.. but since my electrical is stock they only come on when my main headlights are on.
Yeah I understand where your coming from. I guess if they can put and indicator that your headlights are on in the ICP, they can put a fog indicator there as well or something.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:58 PM   #42
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco's for All View Post
I always run with my headlights on in all my vehicles, day or night. It just so happens that the fog lights are wired in so I leave them on as well. With the Tacoma, they seem to be more effective that other cars I've had in the past and really brighten up the road.

On a side note, I took a required driver's safety course for work and they said that during the day, a vehicle driving with headlights or fog lights on can be seen 2-3 times farther away than a vehicle without lights on. Just an interesting note that I've always had in the back of my mind.
+3 Don't have daytime running lights, so use my headlights and fog lights for them. Get a break on my insurance for them.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:13 PM   #43
jayh1515 is on a distinguished road
jayh1515's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainwolfpup View Post
OK, to be honest I rarely know for sure if my fog/driving lights are on or off at any given time. I owe this frequent state of confusion to the engineers at Toyota for failing to put an indicator light on the dash, or at least illuminate the switch.

At night I can usually toggle them on and off a few times to figure out if they are or are not on (unless it's painfully obvious because I'm out in the darkness away from city lighted streets). Of course, this activity usually gets people to flash their headlights at me as they approach from the other direction..

In the day I have to gently rest my fingers over the switch and try to determine if it is in the recessed position (that's on) or the popped-out position (off).

So, like many others on this thread I just leave them on all the time.. but since my electrical is stock they only come on when my main headlights are on.
Even a greater amount of depression of the button would work. There is a very minimal difference between the on and off position!
Old 01-02-2009, 08:17 PM   #44
Stu will become famous soon enoughStu will become famous soon enough

Stu's Tacoma Gallery
They sure make a hell of a difference when it's really foggy! Had them on the whole trip to MT last week. We drove thru the nite both up & back. I was going to add a still-in-box pair that I had in the garage, didn't have time. bummer. Sure helped cut thru what the wife calls snow dust when a semi passes you (not many did after the first couple, whew!). Think I'll install them tomorrow if I don't go fishing.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:38 AM   #45
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
I was really surprised when I first hopped in the '08 Tacos. I had a 4runner as a rental last year, and I was expecting the controls to be the same - lighted 4x4 switch, fog light switch on the collar of the left turn signal, indicator for fogs on the dash, and option for digital climate control (where you can plug in a temperature and the vehicle tries to keep that).
Except for the last one, all these would have been easy to do and would have streamlined their production.
Old 01-17-2009, 03:40 PM   #46
JAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shed
JAG's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesaflaw123 View Post
i leave mine on in hopes of another tacoma owner seeing it and saying "how did he do that". Then he/she will search google, and find tacoma world. Theres another truck the same as mine I drive by every morning on the way to work and after about two weeks I noticed all of a sudden they had done the fog light mod.
Thats exactly how I became a member. I never knew of forums on tacomas.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:08 PM   #47
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
Thats exactly how I became a member. I never knew of forums on tacomas.
Yeah I just use them for DTRL on the highway. Some people say its stupid because fog lights are for fog but i only care about oncoming traffic. Don't see the need to turn on my headlights along with every other light on the front and back of the truck.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:37 AM   #48
Dirty White Boy
Marc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marc
Marc M's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Marc M
I run my fogs and DTRL anytime the truck is running. When it's dark, then it's headlights and fog lights.

Fogs are fitted with the Nokya yellow bulbs.

It just makes it more visible to all the retards out there.

I also have two sets of Hella 500's to install. One set of fogs and one set of driving lamps. The Fogs will also be fitted with Nokya yellow bulbs as well.

The fogs will be switched with a factory switch in the dash. The driving lamps will be switched from the floor with an old school high-beam switch. I have this setup in my '86 Toy, and it's awesome.

I generally adjust the driving lamps into the dark spot between the high and low beam. This is still very bright to oncoming drivers, so being able to switch the high beams back to low with one hand and the driving lights with my left foot, it beats fumbling around with another switch on the dash.

Marc M
Old 01-20-2009, 01:42 PM   #50
Right way/Wrong way/Max Powers way
Jeffy likes tassels will become famous soon enough

Jeffy likes tassels's Tacoma Gallery
When I do have mine on in clear weather, people tend to flash their brights at me alot.

One night a few truckers even felt compelled to flash their cargo lights at me while I was still behind them, which almost knocked me off the freakin road.

Does this happend to anyone else? Or is there a high vampire population where I live?
Old 01-20-2009, 01:58 PM   #51
Lieutenant Dan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy likes tassels View Post
When I do have mine on in clear weather, people tend to flash their brights at me alot.

One night a few truckers even felt compelled to flash their cargo lights at me while I was still behind them, which almost knocked me off the freakin road.

Does this happend to anyone else? Or is there a high vampire population where I live?
Huh that's weird. I've never been flashed with my fogs on. I wonder if yours are aimed upwards or something. Shouldn't be because I don't think you can adjust our fogs, just our headlights.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:22 PM   #52
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I run with my headlights and fogs on all the time and I've never been "brighted". Are you sure they're aimed right? My old truck needed them adjusted...
Old 01-20-2009, 02:28 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by WW_FIREFIGHTER View Post
Huh that's weird. I've never been flashed with my fogs on. I wonder if yours are aimed upwards or something. Shouldn't be because I don't think you can adjust our fogs, just our headlights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpulseRed008 View Post
I run with my headlights and fogs on all the time and I've never been "brighted". Are you sure they're aimed right? My old truck needed them adjusted...
Interesting, I'll have to get it checked out. but as my sideline suggests, I haven't done anything to my truck yet.

So unless there was a defect somewhere somehow (unlikely of Toyota) Maybe I do in fact live near bloodsucking vampires. Good to know...
Old 01-20-2009, 03:05 PM   #54
Lieutenant Dan.

Quote:
Interesting, I'll have to get it checked out. but as my sideline suggests, I haven't done anything to my truck yet.

So unless there was a defect somewhere somehow (unlikely of Toyota) Maybe I do in fact live near bloodsucking vampires. Good to know...
So you only get lit up on when your "fogs" are on?
Old 01-20-2009, 11:45 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by WW_FIREFIGHTER View Post
So you only get lit up on when your "fogs" are on?
yep
Old 01-21-2009, 12:01 AM   #56
Mark350 is on a distinguished road
Mark350's Tacoma Gallery
Where im from you can be ticketed for driving with your fogs on unless the road conditions call for it, pretty lame.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:08 AM   #57
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark350 View Post
Where im from you can be ticketed for driving with your fogs on unless the road conditions call for it, pretty lame.
that's lame... lol
Old 05-15-2013, 03:10 PM   #58
imDARRIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedimDARRIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedimDARRIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedimDARRIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedimDARRIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedimDARRIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedimDARRIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedimDARRIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedimDARRIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedimDARRIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedimDARRIN is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Darrin
imDARRIN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianr View Post
Its not because it "the cool thing to do", in fact I rarely see people who have them actually using them.

"fog lights" arent just for fog.

for example -fog lights illuminate the ground close to vehicle well at night, I can see if I'm going to run over a nail in a parking lot, etc.

BUT - I have the fog light on anytime mod, and I drive with the fog light on only during the day, "just to be cool".

and my response to that remark;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsogswrH6ck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packman73 View Post
Haha, +1.

I drive with mine on all the time.
EXCELLENT Lebowski reference! and I drive w/ mine on ALL the time as well
Old 06-04-2013, 05:24 PM   #59
YotatechMatt is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotatechMatt is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotatechMatt is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotatechMatt is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotatechMatt is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotatechMatt is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotatechMatt is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotatechMatt is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotatechMatt is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotatechMatt is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotatechMatt is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
YotatechMatt's Tacoma Gallery
A friend of mine uses his Fogs as DRL and not the high beams on his US Tacoma. It helps him stand out in traffic as in Canada DRL are required by law and factory vehicles normally use the high beams at lower intensity. I have my fogs wired so I can run them all the time.
Old 12-14-2013, 08:07 AM   #60
Dr 10Jeeps has a spectacular aura aboutDr 10Jeeps has a spectacular aura about

Name: Larry
Dr 10Jeeps's Tacoma Gallery
Apart from bad weather, I just use them when I'm off road, on back roads, or on a highway at night to better see people/critters by the side of the road. Otherwise, I don't turn them on.