Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Toyota Trucks & SUVs

Notices

early 80's Toyota pickup questions.

Old 12-28-2008, 08:54 PM   #1
East Bound and Down
Dark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
Dark Knight's Tacoma Gallery
early 80's Toyota pickup questions.

so i'm looking for an 80's toyota 4x4 pickup and found one I think I want to make a phone call about. My question here is, are there any specific areas of concern I need to look for if I go to check out this rig?

From craig's list:
i have a 1981 toyota its in geat shap no rust or dent at all.4x4 workes all the way .the inter and the dash are like new.good rims and tires. 4speed and 4 cyceng

Here is the deal buster though, I'm thinking that 4speed means its an auto???, if thats the case I think this one is a no go.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:56 PM   #2
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 14S
dually's Tacoma Gallery
The automatics of that era were 3spds.. So im almost positive its a manual.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:59 PM   #3
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
yup... it's a manual -- nice looking truck... obviously look for rust, etc. in all of the normal areas....
Old 12-28-2008, 08:59 PM   #4
Taco Traitor!
TRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to behold

TRD4x4858's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TRD4x4858
81's were available with a 4 speed manual L45 transmission
Look for rust/make sure 4x4 works
Old 01-21-2009, 04:23 AM   #6
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Nope, no deal buster on the 4 spd-it's manual. As was stated, auto's were 3 spd. Mine was 5spd with the auto rear end. Never used 5th unless on highway doing at least 70. Check real good for bed rust as well as frame rust & maybe around the battery tray. Just had my '82 prerunner pried from my hands with an 05 extra cab with only 49k on it. Woulda loved to kept it but it was part of the deal to get the new one to say bye bye after 25 yrs of rockin it. Check out my pics. Took some of both before the old one left. Got some leftover parts for your 81 if you get it. PM if you score, I have stuff like all the oem carb/emissions stuff, 22r RV cam with new valve springs never put in, rear black frame tinted slider window, original nonslider tinted, tailgate net, AC compressor, r12 freon cans, extra 3rd member & more................
Old 01-21-2009, 05:14 AM   #7
East Bound and Down
Dark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
Dark Knight's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post
Nope, no deal buster on the 4 spd-it's manual. As was stated, auto's were 3 spd. Mine was 5spd with the auto rear end. Never used 5th unless on highway doing at least 70. Check real good for bed rust as well as frame rust & maybe around the battery tray. Just had my '82 prerunner pried from my hands with an 05 extra cab with only 49k on it. Woulda loved to kept it but it was part of the deal to get the new one to say bye bye after 25 yrs of rockin it. Check out my pics. Took some of both before the old one left. Got some leftover parts for your 81 if you get it. PM if you score, I have stuff like all the oem carb/emissions stuff, 22r RV cam with new valve springs never put in, rear black frame tinted slider window, original nonslider tinted, tailgate net, AC compressor, r12 freon cans, extra 3rd member & more................
Hey T@co thanks so much. unfortunately this one didnt work out for me. If I do land a project truck with the 22R engine I'll keep you in mind.

Thank you