Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Toyota Trucks & SUVs

Notices

2003 Toyota Tacoma V6 hesitation

Old 08-30-2012, 07:59 PM   #41
bseant is on a distinguished road
bseant's Tacoma Gallery
spark plugs aren't the problem i change my often. And honestly i would just use the toyota spark plugs which are denso and not that expensive either, one of the few things i get from the dealership.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:39 AM   #42
Eriksen0108 is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement:
Name: Chris
Eriksen0108's Tacoma Gallery
I agree. Spark plugs aren't the problem. I changed my plugs, coils and wires with genuine Toyota parts and it did not correct the problem. You might need new plugs anyway if you haven't changed them before.
That RPM range is where my hesitation happens too. If I rev the shit out of it and take off at a higher RPM, it generally won't happen. But who wants to do that every time they take off? At the very least your clutch will take a beating.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:51 PM   #43
FramerKat will become famous soon enough

Name: kAt
FramerKat's Tacoma Gallery
I figured I'd do the plugs and wires since I'm over 100k and I don't know if the prior owner did it before. And the Denso and NGK are the ones supplied by Toyota...Denso plugs are the ones they have at Advance...and I heard the NGK wires might be available at Napa...I've got both stores nearby.

My truck is still doing the hesitation...hot or cold, raining or dry (although, I think it did it more in the rain)...but in that same rpm range. Thinking if it's in a specific rpm range...maybe more fuel related? I'm still wondering if I may have stirred up some gunk by putting in Lucas fuel treatment that either clogged up the fuel filter or injector(s).
Old 09-01-2012, 10:55 PM   #44
bseant's Tacoma Gallery
I dunno, i have the problem about the same rpm range as well
And yes you should change your spark plugs anyways. I usually change mine every 30,000 miles or so.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:34 PM   #45
Toyota-Dually is on a distinguished road
Army: 1LT 93H
Name: David
Toyota-Dually's Tacoma Gallery
My hesitation is definitely NOT plug related because on a warm day when I step on the accelerator I get no response. Bad or non-firing plugs should only cause a rough underpowered response not a totally absent one.
And bad plugs wouldn't get worse with warm weather.

Is there a way to write to Toyota Corp. tech support and ask for their input?
I don't want to spend $98/hr at my dealer only to have them say no codes and it runs fine
Old 09-03-2012, 07:48 AM   #46
Law Enforcement:
I brought mine to Toyota a while ago, but it did not produce the hesitation while they had it. They didn't charge me anything, just told me to bring it back when it's happening. The problem is that when it's happening, I'm not right next to a Toyota dealer, so it isn't hesitating by the time I get it there. I'm gonna wait until its happening frequently, which I suspect it will in September, then I'll bring it in and tell these people to drive it home for a week. It started hesitating a little yesterday because it's been raining a bit and a little muggy.
I doubt corporate Toyota gives a flying fuck about your letter, but if you want to give it a shot, I'll write one too.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:07 AM   #47

Yeah, mine did it really bad yesterday...had a frustrated cab behind me as I couldn't get the rpms up to get away from a light quickly enough I did find that if I can quickly get the rpms above the 1250-1750 range where it does it, I can move along better. And mine is an automatic, so it's harder to control the rpms.

Now I know why it never did it when I first got the truck...I was a tad lead footed...and now I've been lightening up to try to get better mileage and this appears...that's what I get for trying to drive slower
Old 09-04-2012, 09:40 AM   #48
Law Enforcement:
My truck didn't do it either when it was new. I am very frustrated, to the point where i might just sell it. Landscapers(I mean the illegal kind) will pay top dollar, cash for that truck. I wish I could figure it out though. My plan was to put like 300,000 miles on it and run it into the ground...it's why I bought a Toyota in the first place. I have 112,000 on it...not nearly the mileage I had anticipated.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:29 PM   #49
bseant's Tacoma Gallery
so far im leaning towards the o2 sensor but damn their like 250 a piece so its goin to have to wait for a little while, of course it takes two of them. It has to be something stupid.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:36 AM   #50
RPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
RPain's Tacoma Gallery
Evidence of a failing Toyota Tacoma Throttle Position Sensor might include rough driving, a change in engine speed while idling, stalling and hesitation and alterations to engine speed while driving. Your car engine's fuel consumption is controlled by the Toyota Tacoma Throttle Position Sensor and the fuel efficiency of the vehicle will plummet if it isn't performing up to par. A Toyota Tacoma Throttle Position Sensor is an important device that translates the slant of the throttle valve into electric signals so it can be used by the on-board electric control unit. Your Toyota Tacoma Throttle Position Sensor is a small but critical part of the car engine that provides readings from the car's engine speed to the built in ECU. Your automobile's Toyota Tacoma Throttle Position Sensor applies varying amounts of resistance to the throttle valve, which allows it to check the valve tilt with more accuracy.

^ this is my next attempt, TPS costs $60 at NAPA
Old 09-06-2012, 03:46 PM   #51
bseant's Tacoma Gallery
please let us know how this turns out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPain View Post
Evidence of a failing Toyota Tacoma Throttle Position Sensor might include rough driving, a change in engine speed while idling, stalling and hesitation and alterations to engine speed while driving. Your car engine's fuel consumption is controlled by the Toyota Tacoma Throttle Position Sensor and the fuel efficiency of the vehicle will plummet if it isn't performing up to par. A Toyota Tacoma Throttle Position Sensor is an important device that translates the slant of the throttle valve into electric signals so it can be used by the on-board electric control unit. Your Toyota Tacoma Throttle Position Sensor is a small but critical part of the car engine that provides readings from the car's engine speed to the built in ECU. Your automobile's Toyota Tacoma Throttle Position Sensor applies varying amounts of resistance to the throttle valve, which allows it to check the valve tilt with more accuracy.

^ this is my next attempt, TPS costs $60 at NAPA
Old 09-07-2012, 04:48 AM   #52
Law Enforcement:
I've thought about the TPS, but never changed it out because I figured it would throw a code. I even brought it up to a mechanic a while ago and he was certain that it couldn't be the TPS. I suppose it's worth a shot. Not sure it explains the heat or moisture coincidence, but fuck it, right?. Please let me know how that works out.

Wouldn't it be crazy if all of our hesitation problems were solved with one little sensor!?
Old 09-07-2012, 07:09 AM   #53

What RPain said about the TPS makes it sound like it may be the culprit...can't wait to hear if that affects it.

And speaking of TPS...reminded me of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fy3rjQGc6lA
Old 09-07-2012, 08:45 AM   #54
CrunchyTaco99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrunchyTaco99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrunchyTaco99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrunchyTaco99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrunchyTaco99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrunchyTaco99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrunchyTaco99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrunchyTaco99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrunchyTaco99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrunchyTaco99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrunchyTaco99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Assaultman 2/5
Name: Joe
CrunchyTaco99's Tacoma Gallery
Looking at the TPS next. Had injectors professionally cleaned and installed new o2 sensor with a little increase in performance but power loss remains.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:08 PM   #55
RPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
RPain's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FramerKat View Post
What RPain said about the TPS makes it sound like it may be the culprit...can't wait to hear if that affects it.

And speaking of TPS...reminded me of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fy3rjQGc6lA
haha greatest movie ever!

Well I bought the TPS today but can't get the old one off because I stripped one of the screws.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:39 PM   #56
newertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: electronics tech
Name: Kevin
newertoy's Tacoma Gallery
Here are a couple links BEFORE you replace the TPS.
One is how to test-the other is adjustment--which WILL need to be done if it is replaced.
HOPE THIS HELPS.
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/TPS/index.shtml
http://www.yotatech.com/f2/tps-adjustment-43409/
Old 09-07-2012, 09:12 PM   #57
bseant's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyTaco99 View Post
Looking at the TPS next. Had injectors professionally cleaned and installed new o2 sensor with a little increase in performance but power loss remains.

did you replace both sensors or just one?
Old 09-07-2012, 10:16 PM   #58
CrunchyTaco99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrunchyTaco99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrunchyTaco99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrunchyTaco99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrunchyTaco99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrunchyTaco99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrunchyTaco99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrunchyTaco99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrunchyTaco99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrunchyTaco99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrunchyTaco99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Just the primary or upstream sensor. From what I understand it is the air fuel reader and the secondary or down stream sensor just checks up on the cat. I do not have an o2 code or cat code so I had no reason to replace the secondary.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:34 PM   #59
toyotaman4456 is on a distinguished road
Name: phillip
toyotaman4456's Tacoma Gallery
it's most likely your throttle body and you can't get the parts to fix it from toyota its a sinsor on the inside of the throttle body but in oder to replace it you have to buy the throttle body 1200$ mine was doing the same thing
Old 09-10-2012, 08:03 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotaman4456 View Post
it's most likely your throttle body and you can't get the parts to fix it from toyota its a sinsor on the inside of the throttle body but in oder to replace it you have to buy the throttle body 1200$ mine was doing the same thing
Ya, posted about that a page back. APPS sensor. Gonna try a few things before I drop that kind of money!