Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Toyota Trucks & SUVs

Notices

Rust??? Tacomas...

Old 07-17-2012, 09:11 AM   #1
Truex56fan is on a distinguished road
Name: MAA
Truex56fan's Tacoma Gallery
Rust??? Tacomas...

I've been shopping for a gently used Tacoma 4x4 V6 Access cab for many weeks now. Almost all that I've viewed (with mileage lower than 20K) (years 2009 and up) seem to have significant amount of rust o parts/pieces like the trailer hitch, the bolts on the bed racing the cab, underneath the truck on a variety of areas, components around the brake assembly, etc. These trucks have been in markets where there is little to no snow, nowhere near ocean, etc.

I am asking for feedback because I am now rethinking the vehicle purchase in general. Everyone's feedback would be most welcome.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:15 AM   #2
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
They are around. Mine is a 10 with 8k miles. I don't have rust on the frame, maybe some surface rust like in all vehicles but that's nomal. How much are you looking to spend?
Old 07-17-2012, 09:34 AM   #3
Manual Transmission Enthusiast
TacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
TacomaBuzz's Tacoma Gallery
Doesn't matter if you drive a chevy, ford, dodge, nissan, or Toyota. Any used pickup truck is going to show slight surface rust. If you want perfect, I would suggest buying new. Surface rust is just that, it looks bad but is only on the surface. the structure underneath is still strong.it can of course eventually compromise the structure if left untreated. they use thin, crappy paint on the undercoat so it's best to repaint it with a good undercoat such as eastwood.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:35 AM   #4
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Mines an 07 with 18,750 miles. The only thing thats got some corrosion is the muffler/tailpipe...which is normal. The rest of the underside is spotless with no signs of rust. Keep looking and you'll find one in good shape.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:15 AM   #5
Rust

I have a 2005 Subaru which seems to have less rust then most of the Tacomas I've test drove which are much newer and less mileage. Not sure what to think...here is an example of a 2010 I looked at
Attached Thumbnails
Rust??? Tacomas...-dsc_0215.jpg   Rust??? Tacomas...-dsc_0219.jpg   Rust??? Tacomas...-dsc_0221.jpg  
Old 07-17-2012, 10:17 AM   #6
Questions... Morphology? Longevity? Incept dates?
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
On the coast here , my '09 frame has rust all over it
Old 07-17-2012, 10:30 AM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
On the coast here , my '09 frame has rust all over it
I live in an area where we don't get any significant snow and am 50+ miles from the coast...

I work with a man who has a Tacoma 2004 with minimal rust. Almost less than what is shown in the previous post with photos.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:34 AM   #8
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truex56fan View Post
I have a 2005 Subaru which seems to have less rust then most of the Tacomas I've test drove which are much newer and less mileage. Not sure what to think...here is an example of a 2010 I looked at
i'd be concerned about the body rust in the 2nd pic but the frame of that 2010 doesn't look bad at all in my opinion. You should see my 2007
Old 07-17-2012, 10:37 AM   #9
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
Are you on a timeframe for which you need the truck? If you can wait it out I would advise doing so. Something will pop up if given enough time. I was looking for a project and almost "settled" for this and that and even started changing my mind as to what project vehicle I was going to get because there were just no options that weren't high miles and rusted out horribly, then exactly what I wanted in the first place popped up in great condition with low miles and I snagged last second before several other people.

If you have the time to lay in wait, keep an eye out. If not, good luck I guess. My advice would be if you aren't happy with it don't "settle" and buy it anyways, no matter if other people tell you "its not that bad" or not
Old 07-17-2012, 10:43 AM   #10
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:

Mine has way less rust than that. And yes. That truck you pictured has a considerable amount of body rust on that back panel. Something must have happened there. Again, if you don't mind me asking, how much are you looking to spend? I might upgrade.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:37 AM   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by babytruck View Post
Mine has way less rust than that. And yes. That truck you pictured has a considerable amount of body rust on that back panel. Something must have happened there. Again, if you don't mind me asking, how much are you looking to spend? I might upgrade.
I have been looking for something with 15,000 miles or less and in the range of $24 to $27k dependent on "bells & whistles" of said vehicle : ) I'm in South Jersey.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:39 AM   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzardsGottaEat View Post
Are you on a timeframe for which you need the truck? If you can wait it out I would advise doing so. Something will pop up if given enough time. I was looking for a project and almost "settled" for this and that and even started changing my mind as to what project vehicle I was going to get because there were just no options that weren't high miles and rusted out horribly, then exactly what I wanted in the first place popped up in great condition with low miles and I snagged last second before several other people.

If you have the time to lay in wait, keep an eye out. If not, good luck I guess. My advice would be if you aren't happy with it don't "settle" and buy it anyways, no matter if other people tell you "its not that bad" or not

I have time to wait it out although I did want to take advantage of my credit union's 2.5% financing which is only guaranteed thru mid August. I do believe things happen, or not, for a reason, so I'll keep looking and keeping driving my Subaru.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:17 PM   #13

Quote:
I have been looking for something with 15,000 miles or less and in the range of $24 to $27k dependent on "bells & whistles" of said vehicle : ) I'm in South Jersey.

Do you drive stick?
Old 07-17-2012, 12:26 PM   #14
4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future

Name: Alex
4banger09's Tacoma Gallery
I'm on the east coast and my under side looks great just surface rust in the corners of some spots, the guy before me got it undercoated a few times and I just took sand paper and some brake dust cleaner to the bad parts and sprayed it with rocker panel guard. Might try something a little tougher if I'm bored on the days off. Mine looked similar to he pictures above. Mine is an 09 btw.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:35 PM   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by babytruck View Post
Do you drive stick?
Yes but want an automatic.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:30 PM   #16

Alrighty. Another reason to keep it then.