Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Toyota Trucks & SUVs

Notices

AWD vs 4WD

Old 08-01-2012, 06:49 PM   #1
undersc0re is on a distinguished road
undersc0re's Tacoma Gallery
AWD vs 4WD

I am looking to buy a tacoma, prob new or close to it. I notice some say awd and some say 4wd, is one better than the other, I would rather have 4x4 when I want it only don't like it kicking in and out on the snowy highway, I will be using the truck in snow, light mud, gravel hilly terrain, so I was hoping to get an option for a locking rear diff for extra traction on my adventures...not sure if there is an option for front locking diff...

I would like advice on options I should seek on my new purchase...and options I should steer away from! I am new to toyota...my last truck was too big to fit down most bush trails and I would like a good solid smaller 4x4 and the toyota seems like a real good truck!

Looking for a good lift kit/larger tire and rim combo, I am sure they all work well, but would like to know what to stay away from! What size works well in terms of lift size and tire/rim combo for clearance issues etc...I am not doing any hardcore 4x4ing just don't want to get stuck in deep snow and mud/sand, and need to clear some bumpy hilly backroad obstacles. Going to keep reading and I will probably answer most of these questions over the next couple weeks I am sure but would love to know what combo works best for the money etc...
Old 08-01-2012, 06:53 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Tacomas don't come AWD.

AWD(full time 4wd) is 4wd with a center diff. It allows the front and rear axles to turn at different speeds. Power is split like an open diff unless there are traction systems or a center limited slip.

4wd(part time) locks both front and rear axles together sending 50% of the power to the front and 50% power to the front. There is no center diff to allow the front and rear axles to spin at different speeds so turning becomes difficult.

4wd is better for offroading but not so good for street use. AWD is great for street use but not so much for offroad use. Also 4wd vehicles have a low range option while most AWD vehicles do not.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:57 PM   #4
You're no good to me dead
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
FJ manuals are all wheel drive arent they?
Old 08-01-2012, 06:58 PM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletToothTony View Post
FJ manuals are all wheel drive arent they?
Yes and with a low range option. Tacos never had an AWD option.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:50 AM   #6
Evasive Maneuvers PMKMS
tacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud of

tacobox's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Yes and with a low range option. Tacos never had an AWD option.
that would be cool if they did like the chevy & gmc trucks with the awd, 4hi & 4lo options.
the awd setting is very handy on wet roads.

but to the OP 4wd is better off road and awd is better on road basicly
Old 08-02-2012, 09:03 AM   #7
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacobox View Post
that would be cool if they did like the chevy & gmc trucks with the awd, 4hi & 4lo options.
the awd setting is very handy on wet roads.

but to the OP 4wd is better off road and awd is better on road basicly
If I knew what I was doing I would swap in the AWD case from a runner. It will bolt up but electrical would be a nightmare.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:05 AM   #8
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If I knew what I was doing I would swap in the AWD case from a runner. It will bolt up but electrical would be a nightmare.
How hard can it be?

It would probably be easier on a truck like mine. No traction control electronics, no rear locker, just plain ole open/open and no driving aids.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:08 AM   #9
Evasive Maneuvers PMKMS
tacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud of

tacobox's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Old 08-02-2012, 09:09 AM   #10
TherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
TherealScuba's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That is awesome. I'm amused.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:13 AM   #11
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
How hard can it be?

It would probably be easier on a truck like mine. No traction control electronics, no rear locker, just plain ole open/open and no driving aids.
The runner had VSC and junk at one point. I bet I would need the 4wd ECU and harness from the runner. If I had more money and space to work I would try it
Old 08-02-2012, 09:16 AM   #12
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The runner had VSC and junk at one point. I bet I would need the 4wd ECU and harness from the runner. If I had more money and space to work I would try it
The only way I'd get into my truck that deep was if it wasn't my daily driver. Then, if I had a Tacoma that was a toy and not a daily driver, it'd be armored up and I wouldn't be messing with AWD.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:21 AM   #13
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
The only way I'd get into my truck that deep was if it wasn't my daily driver. Then, if I had a Tacoma that was a toy and not a daily driver, it'd be armored up and I wouldn't be messing with AWD.
That's where the money and space part comes in. I would have a second car to drive but I would still AWD my Taco.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:02 PM   #14
Just out for a rip are ya bud?
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
IDtrucks's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by undersc0re View Post
I am looking to buy a tacoma, prob new or close to it. I notice some say awd and some say 4wd, is one better than the other, I would rather have 4x4 when I want it only don't like it kicking in and out on the snowy highway, I will be using the truck in snow, light mud, gravel hilly terrain, so I was hoping to get an option for a locking rear diff for extra traction on my adventures...not sure if there is an option for front locking diff...

I would like advice on options I should seek on my new purchase...and options I should steer away from! I am new to toyota...my last truck was too big to fit down most bush trails and I would like a good solid smaller 4x4 and the toyota seems like a real good truck!

Looking for a good lift kit/larger tire and rim combo, I am sure they all work well, but would like to know what to stay away from! What size works well in terms of lift size and tire/rim combo for clearance issues etc...I am not doing any hardcore 4x4ing just don't want to get stuck in deep snow and mud/sand, and need to clear some bumpy hilly backroad obstacles. Going to keep reading and I will probably answer most of these questions over the next couple weeks I am sure but would love to know what combo works best for the money etc...
Sounds like a Tacoma is exactly what you are looking for! As far as awd vs 4wd whipper already covered it. Generally 4wd is more controllable and more powerful than awd (4lo and lockers) and certainly works better off road than an awd system. But you can't have 4wd on while driving on dry pavement (not an issue because you don't need it anyway). When you are driving through some serious snow or hit muddy holes or roads simply throw that sucker in 4wd and you are set. Then if you get stuck, or are pulling something heavy, 4lo is a magical invention and will give you gobs of torque. Then when you are done, slap it into 2wd and it will go back to a simple 2wd truck. As far as compact and nimble, the taco fits the bill perfectly. More ground clearance, and skinnier then basically every other truck, it can squeeze on tight trails pretty easily. No option for a front locker, but unless you are doing serious wheeling there is no need for it. If you want the diff lock (a really dam good idea) then get the off road package, and done. That's really what you need to be set.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:17 AM   #15
I just can not seem to build the trd offroad with the 4 door version....is there a way to get factory rear locker and have 4 doors?
Old 08-04-2012, 09:21 AM   #16
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by undersc0re View Post
I just can not seem to build the trd offroad with the 4 door version....is there a way to get factory rear locker and have 4 doors?
Just with the offroad, TX Broseph(TX Pro) or TX Baja Broseph(TX Baja).
Old 08-04-2012, 09:23 AM   #17
ROLL TIDE
Jo Dog has much to be proud ofJo Dog has much to be proud ofJo Dog has much to be proud ofJo Dog has much to be proud ofJo Dog has much to be proud ofJo Dog has much to be proud ofJo Dog has much to be proud ofJo Dog has much to be proud ofJo Dog has much to be proud ofJo Dog has much to be proud of

Name: Jo Dog
Jo Dog's Tacoma Gallery
most awd get the worst gas milage
Old 08-04-2012, 10:26 AM   #18
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Just with the offroad, TX Broseph(TX Pro) or TX Baja Broseph(TX Baja).
Maybe he is in Canada? You cannot get an Off Road 4WD Double Cab up there, last I heard...?
Old 08-04-2012, 10:30 AM   #19
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
Maybe he is in Canada? You cannot get an Off Road 4WD Double Cab up there, last I heard...?
I didn't see a location. He will need to install an ARB locker if he really wants a locker.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:21 PM   #20
Yes I am in BC, Canada, I was at the stealership today they had one black trd offroad in stock no extras $34,*** is that not a little high? I would pay that with some extras on it...but wow, the the guy says oh and there is taxes freight and financing fees and charges on top of that as well...and couple others I was like ok talk to you later...just browsing lol. Maybe I should pick up a tacoma in washington state...? lol

What are some of the weak points in the tacomas...say 2008 and up...Do the axles seals always go or the wheel bearings etc...just curious...I know it depends on driving style and mods etc...but just everydays use...I know my olds alero has gone through 7 wheels bearings and its at 230,000km now...got it new...original battery though!! I drove that normally and 7 wheel bearings is excessive in my books...