1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking at buying a truck I need help...

Discussion in 'Toyota Trucks & SUVs' started by hmasonb34, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Aug 23, 2012 at 3:05 AM
    hmasonb34

hmasonb34 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Heath
    Jax, Fl.
    Vehicle:
    98, ext cab and 2015 LB dbl cab 4x4 sport
    My 98 has 4 in.beefed blocks, QA1 up front, turbo. My 15 4x4 stock looking for lift and tires.
    hey guys I need some help. Im wanting to buy a 4x4 toyota and i have found one cheap. ($750.00)

Its a 92, SR5, 4x4, ext. cab,

Its got the 3.0 motor in it and it has been sitting for 4 years. the guy said the radiator busted and he babied it home and just left it. Now its been sitting for 4 years has mold growing all over the out side. Suposedly everything works- 4x4, a/c, brakes, lights and turn signals.

Hes where it gets alittle shady he said it sat for 4 years then he tried to move it and the tranny would not go into gear. So along with a busted radiator there may be some serious tranny issues.

The body is in great shape no dents to speak of and the interior is in great shape. It even has a sun roof.

What is the best way to go about getting this thing back on the road.
    how can i check and make sure the engine isnt blown or siezed up.what other things should i look for.

It would be great to find somone on here who lives in Jacksonville florida who would like to go take a look at it with me and make sure its worth trying to save.

I really like the truck but ive herd some bad things about these motors and there head gaskets.

Is this truck going to turn into a money pit or is it worth saving. The body is pretty much rust and dent free so from the out side it seems like a great deal. Im more worried about the engine tranny tranfercase and front hubs.

How can i check those out and make sure its not crap before buying it.

ALso i would like to here the engine run before i buy it but the gas thats in there has been there for 4 years so running that though the motor is probably a bad idea. what fuse can i pull to shut down the fuel pump. Ill take some starter fuel and spray in it to make it run i dont wanna pump bad gas into the motor and possible make things worse.

Any help would be great. If you can think of anything else that I should check please let me know. I really want this truck but if im going to have to spend 2 or 3 grand to get it running i could find another one already runnning for that price.

Please help waht should i do?

2. Aug 23, 2012 at 3:29 AM
    Jeffvt0508

Jeffvt0508 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB 4x4 trd offroad
    Ome 887s, dakars, lr uca,sliders, konig countersteer,
    i guess my opinion OP is what would you be using the truck for?... ur off road toy only or as a daily driver... if ya said off road toy i would say yea do it and just slowly get it where ya want it engine body and all... but if you are wanting a daily dependable drive from day one i probably would pass on it. So i would say it just comes down to what you are going to use it for.. if you buy it and u let it sit until u can get money to work on it slowly i would say its a good deal but if ur needing to do all the work asap to get it driveable to go to work i would say pass...

3. Aug 23, 2012 at 4:44 PM
    hmasonb34

Member:
    First Name:
    Heath
    Jax, Fl.
    Vehicle:
    My 98 has 4 in.beefed blocks, QA1 up front, turbo. My 15 4x4 stock looking for lift and tires.
    No im good. Ive got a daily driver I just dont wanna ruin it by working out of it so I wanna buy something I can work on fix and get running once its daily driveable and reliable.

My question is what are some issues I should look for in a vehicle thats been sitting for 4 years. Also what can I do to make sure the engine was running correctly before buying it. Ive herd there is a fuse or relay I can take out so the fuel pump will be disabled that way I dont pump that bad gas into the motor I'll just spray it with starter fluid and make sure its running.

What I need is a check list of things I should check or things I can check before I buy it to find out what may be screwd up so I dont buy a total piece of crap. Also maybe a check list of things i should do to get it back running again.

Please Help...

4. Aug 23, 2012 at 4:55 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    I would first pull the dip stick & look at oil for discoloration (milk shake looking indicates blown gasket/cracked head) then I'd put a socket on the front pulley & determine if engine is locked up(turning over manually)

turning over also might allow shifting of gears if man. trans.

Then I'd pull plugs , get a good battey & check compression if all but 1 or 2 cylinders had compression within specs it'd confirm blown head gasket most likely.

Those early 3.0's were pretty shitty cooling wise but for $750 it might be worth checking out further...

5. Aug 23, 2012 at 4:56 PM
    jtgroce

jtgroce Got R Did

Member:
    In the Foothills, NC
    Vehicle:
    '12 Taco MGM TRD Off Road
    K&N Air Filter Husky Floor Liners Weathertech Vent Visors LED Map/Dome Light Mod Chrome Door Handles AVS Bugshield Bed Mat Fog Light Anytime Mod DTRL LED's Flowmaster Super 40
    I had an '88 with the 3.0 V6 in it and had no problems with the head gasket blowing (even though toyota sent me a recall for it, never needed it) and it had 242,000 miles on it when I sold it.

6. Aug 23, 2012 at 4:57 PM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    For $750 I wouldn't complain, you could throw a couple grand in to it and she'll be running like new.

7. Aug 23, 2012 at 5:03 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    This is exactly the type of vehicle I like. If it's rustfree your're 1/2 way there. Take the plunge! Offer him $400.00 and see what he says (buy it anyway!) Good luck. It sounds awesome. I want pics of this dirty Pig.[​IMG]

8. Aug 23, 2012 at 5:33 PM
    mac424205

mac424205 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mathew
    Chelsea
    Vehicle:
    2005 4Runner Limited V8 4X4
    Billies on all four corners with daystar spacer lift. Bought it like this. Replacing done with toytec ultimate 3" lift
    I was in the same boat as you, except mine was $1725 and needed timing belt and water pump replaced. The heads on mine were redone at 158k and I have 166k on it now. Bought it with the 166k and have only put 200 miles on it in the past 6 months. Check out my slow build thread for the stuff that I have done to mine after I purchased it. I would start it up and make sure that it has compression, and the CEL isn't on and it runs fine. It's an awesome project truck and I have enjoyed working on mine. It's at a stand still right now due to planning a wedding.

9. Aug 24, 2012 at 3:08 AM
    hmasonb34

Member:
    First Name:
    Heath
    Jax, Fl.
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for all the in put. This is good. Does anyone know where the fuse or relay is to disconnect the fuel pump so I can try and start it without pushing that bad gas through the motor.

IVe pretty much decided to get it. There is a tool box in the back and the rims and tires are good and as scrap its worth 400 bucks so if its a total bust I can scrap it for 400 sell the tool box for 100 and hope to get 200 for rims and tires. Thats 700 bucks of my money back right there.

Ill get lots of pics and keep everyone here posted if anyone cares.

Ill be looking for lots of advise so please keep the suggestions coming.

10. Aug 24, 2012 at 3:43 AM
    Jeffvt0508

Jeffvt0508 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB 4x4 trd offroad
    Ome 887s, dakars, lr uca,sliders, konig countersteer,
    bro... i know there are a lot of wise men on this forum but i still carry around a hayes truck manual and I would still suggest one to you as well. but thats just me but I can't wait to see what ya make it turn out to be . i just wish i had a few grand to throw at a project. good luck!

11. Aug 24, 2012 at 3:50 AM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    I would tow the vehicle Home; then you can F' with it.

12. Aug 24, 2012 at 2:15 PM
    hmasonb34

Member:
    First Name:
    Heath
    Jax, Fl.
    Vehicle:
    Heading out to take a look at it again tomorrow gonna get a key this time and take some jumper cables and starter fluid and see what I can do. Got a tow truck on stand by so hopefully hes only a phone call away. May bring it home tomorrow. Ill take pics before moving to show all the moldy details. Ill keep everyone posted.

13. Aug 24, 2012 at 11:51 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    This could very well be a diamond in the rough !!! go get'em ....:D

14. Sep 1, 2012 at 3:15 PM
    mac424205

mac424205 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mathew
    Chelsea
    Vehicle:
    2005 4Runner Limited V8 4X4
    Billies on all four corners with daystar spacer lift. Bought it like this. Replacing done with toytec ultimate 3" lift
    any updates?

15. Sep 7, 2012 at 9:52 AM
    hmasonb34

Member:
    First Name:
    Heath
    Jax, Fl.
    Vehicle:
    I opted not to get it at this point. but bought a 2006 2wd access cab instead. May still go get the 92 4x4 but just as a toy to screw with Ill let you guys know more if and when it happens.

Thanks 2 everyone for there input.

Products Discussed in

To Top