1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help, 1993 pick up

Discussion in 'Toyota Trucks & SUVs' started by 2004Tacoma, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Oct 2, 2012 at 10:09 AM
    2004Tacoma

2004Tacoma [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Central Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2004 Taco Prerunner SR5 Xtra cab
    I have a 93 toyota pickup that i bought new. My radiator was leaking, I replaced it with a new one, also new hoses, stat and coolant. Here is the deal I still have a slight smell of radiator steam, I feel like it is coming from the thermostat o-ring. I want to and should I put liquid gasket material between the stat cover? Thanks, this is my 1st post. Rick

2. Oct 15, 2012 at 11:18 AM
    2004Tacoma

2004Tacoma [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Central Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Hmm, no help? Well I put the liquid gasket material on and still have the smell? I am going to change the radiator cap next...

3. Oct 15, 2012 at 12:07 PM
    85GT 79FJ40

85GT 79FJ40 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD Sport DCSB 6M - 2017 Honda Africa Twin
    It can take coolant quite a while to burn off. If you don't drive it much and still smell it that's likely the deal. Provided it's not leaking of course.

4. Oct 16, 2012 at 8:24 AM
    2004Tacoma

2004Tacoma [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Central Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    You could be right, I do drive my new truck more. This is my second radiator in the 93 PU, it's all plastic, the auto part store told me thats what they were all going to??? I bought it. I have 2 hundred thousand miles on the truck and wanting to get another hundred out of it. The head cracked at arournd hundred and twenty thousand had it welded (mistake) 8 months it showed back up. I then had the dealer replace the head with a new one and its all good now. The dealer informed not flushing my cooling system regulary can be corrosive and damage the aluminm head. You live you learn! When I bought this Plastic Radiator the sold me a gallon of Peak Global lifetime Antifreeze coolant (Gold color) "for all makes and models". They told me all the Toyota owners were using it. I keep remembering the cracked head, Maybe I'm parinoid but don't want to screw up my little work truck. I'm not a mech. just hoping for some advice, Thanks Rick

5. Oct 16, 2012 at 4:06 PM
    RickerRicker19

RickerRicker19 Dirty 3'

Member:
    Hillsdale, MI
    Vehicle:
    98 4runner 3rz 5spd
    Snorkel CB Anytime Locker 2" suspension 235/85 tires 2nd Gen 4runner Tire Carrier Custom full length roof rack Sound Proofing Various LED lighting Tundra Brakes LCE Header Diff Breather mods 1st Gen 4runner Roll Bar w/ removable cargo shelf Mostalined body Ditch Lights
    That's a cheap ass radiator imo. If that one fails go get one till LCEngineering.com and get a good one. They know what they're doing with yota engines and imo they have good quality stuff even though it's a little pricy it will be worth it. That's where I get most of my parts for my carb'd 22r.

6. Oct 16, 2012 at 4:15 PM
    VermonterLost

VermonterLost Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Castleton, VT
    Vehicle:
    2014 F150
    DO NOT use the peak antifreeze. Go to the dealership or online and find the Toyota RED antifreeze. Not the Pink! The Pink is used in the newer engines, has a different formulation that doesn't jive with the old motors. Buddies 91 V6 had the green cheap shit put it before he bought it. It was over heating, opened the radiator cap and was met with a bunch of rust. My 94 always had the red, looked like new inside that motor.

Also I second talking to LC Engineering. They know their yotas.

7. Oct 16, 2012 at 4:16 PM
    TenBeers

TenBeers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    CBI bed rack and sliders, Backwoods Adventure Mods front and rear bumpers, etc. And some stickers.
    +1 on LC Engineering, I have a '77 Celica with a 20R and have bought a few things from them. But their aluminum radiators are expensive and more meant for racing vehicles.

I got a new radiator on eBay for the Celica for a decent price, it has metal tanks.

That said, the radiator in the '92 PU I had formed a leak at the seam where the top tank is glued on. The extended warranty replaced it with a refurb that had been painted over, somewhat hiding a dent in the top tank that eventually sprung another leak. I bought a new one and did it myself. Since the tanks are glued on anyway, there is probably no problem with plastic tanks -- and they won't dent!

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  8. Oct 19, 2012 at 7:21 AM
    2004Tacoma

2004Tacoma [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Central Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Ok, I just want to take the time to say THANKS! I value all your opinions, this is a cool site! I picked up 8 gallons of distiled water and a gallon of Toyota Red antifreeze. Flushing the Peak gold out and putting toyota red in, is on my to do list. But as for now I am heading to do some carpet cleaning in my (new to me) 2004 Tacoma Prerunner. Enjoying a 48 degree morning in Louisiana!! Rick

9. Oct 19, 2012 at 7:28 AM
    Jo Dog

Jo Dog ROLL TIDE

Member:
    First Name:
    Jo Dog
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2010 double cab tacoma TRDoffroad SR5 V6 4x4
    1-800-radiator has good ones

could have a bad stat or heater core could be leaking.

10. Oct 19, 2012 at 7:31 AM
    Jo Dog

Jo Dog ROLL TIDE

Member:
    First Name:
    Jo Dog
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2010 double cab tacoma TRDoffroad SR5 V6 4x4
    Prestone Antifreeze is good

Products Discussed in

To Top