Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Toyota Trucks & SUVs

Notices

what tacoma to buy

Old 11-14-2012, 05:55 PM   #1
ChadXTacoma is on a distinguished road

Name: Chad
ChadXTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
what tacoma to buy

I'm just graduating high school and i need a truck to go off to college in. I know about Toyota Tacoma's and i know they have name for there durability, good mpgs, and how long they last(and they look awesome). So why not get one for college, i was thinking a getting a 2013 access cab prerunner V6. I was wondering how much that might cost me. And if the 2.7 4 cylinder would be enough power for the size of the truck. Help me out because i don't want to spend my money that i have been saving for years on something that inst perfect.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:57 PM   #2
Corndawg has a spectacular aura aboutCorndawg has a spectacular aura about
Name: Corey
Corndawg's Tacoma Gallery
go with bigger engine. i spent $26,000 on my 2007 double cab. 4x4 with 46000 miles on it.

you will be looking in the low teens or even low 20's
Old 11-14-2012, 05:58 PM   #3
mtwil9 is on a distinguished road

Name: Matt
mtwil9's Tacoma Gallery
If you dont mind me asking whats your budget?
Old 11-14-2012, 05:59 PM   #4

is the access cab worth buying? I would like more bed space for hauling things
Old 11-14-2012, 06:00 PM   #5
bash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
bash42's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadXTacoma View Post
I'm just graduating high school and i need a truck to go off to college in. I know about Toyota Tacoma's and i know they have name for there durability, good mpgs, and how long they last(and they look awesome). So why not get one for college, i was thinking a getting a 2013 access cab prerunner V6. I was wondering how much that might cost me. And if the 2.7 4 cylinder would be enough power for the size of the truck. Help me out because i don't want to spend my money that i have been saving for years on something that inst perfect.
I've had both and I love the 4cyl. Plenty of power and over 21mpg around town. The v6 is only required if you're really going to tow. Just my biased opinion.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:00 PM   #6

around 25000 or 26000. Could i get the v6 with that price range?
Old 11-14-2012, 06:01 PM   #7
mtwil9 is on a distinguished road

Name: Matt
mtwil9's Tacoma Gallery
I got my 2012 double cab 4x4 v6 new for 31,000 out the door.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:02 PM   #8

ive heard that if your getting the 4 cylinder to get the manual, and i don't want to drive a manual. ive been driving one for 3 years, im tired of it
Old 11-14-2012, 06:06 PM   #9
Got R Did
jtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jtgroce's Tacoma Gallery
4.0 V6 comes with a 5spd automatic
Old 11-14-2012, 06:09 PM   #10
Get off your horse and drink your milk.
teamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant future

teamamerica's Tacoma Gallery
i'd go with the 4cylinder. the 6 is cool, but just like bash said, unless you plan on towing stuff you might as well enjoy the extra 7 mpg with the 4cylinder.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:13 PM   #11

Will the 4 cylinder give me a sufficient amount of power? Like i said i really wont be hauling heavy loads, i am just going to college.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:17 PM   #13

I Just want a Prerunner, if i get the prerunner should i get the v6 if the price is right? or would the gas mileage suck to bad?
Old 11-14-2012, 06:22 PM   #14
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
around 25000 or 26000. Could i get the v6 with that price range?
... ^^^ ... Yes, if you negotiate .... Where are you in GA ? .... I-4s are great but a V-6 is better if you get an automatic.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:25 PM   #15
SpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
SpruceTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I Just want a Prerunner, if i get the prerunner should i get the v6 if the price is right? or would the gas mileage suck to bad?
I think I'm getting pretty good mpg's but My last truck was a Ram 1500 4x4 on 35's. I drive 210 miles a week on 5/8 of a tank. I hunt in GA. & I get about 20 mpg. Last time I went up I went 350 mile before my gas light came on.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:26 PM   #16

[QUOTE=SOSHeloPilot;5993635]... ^^^ ... Yes, if you negotiate .... Where are you in GA ? .... V-6 is you get an automatic.
.[/

If the Price right for a 4 cylinder auto should i take the offer, people say the 4 cylinder auto sucks. But im tired of driving a manual. and i live in Stockbridge Ga its about 30 minutes south of Atlanta
Old 11-14-2012, 06:31 PM   #17
Get off your horse and drink your milk.
teamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant future

teamamerica's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Will the 4 cylinder give me a sufficient amount of power? Like i said i really wont be hauling heavy loads, i am just going to college.

it has enough power to do what you go to do if you're not towing. i would of gone with it myself but i intend on buying a boat next summer so i need something to tow it with. i had a '94 ford ranger 4cylinder a few years ago, and that truck did everything i ever needed it to, even pulled a small boat and got good gas mileage (like 27mpg)
Old 11-14-2012, 06:32 PM   #18
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=ChadXTacoma;5993655]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOSHeloPilot View Post
... ^^^ ... Yes, if you negotiate .... Where are you in GA ? .... V-6 is you get an automatic.
.[/

If the Price right for a 4 cylinder auto should i take the offer, people say the 4 cylinder auto sucks. But im tired of driving a manual. and i live in Stockbridge Ga its about 30 minutes south of Atlanta
I am in Sandy Springs and if you shop around (bargain hard) in Atlanta ... you can get some great deals.

I-4s with a stick are fun ... but an automatic needs a V-6 IMO..

PS ... With good credit ... you can get below 2% APR for 60 months too ... good time to buy.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:43 PM   #19
20taco12 is on a distinguished road
20taco12's Tacoma Gallery
I would go with the v6. I had a 2012 ac 4cyl 4x4 5spd got around 22mpg the power is descent. Traded that about a month ago to get my 2013 DCLB TRD sport V6 4x4 and I get around 19 with it and much more power.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:58 AM   #20

when buying the 4 cylinder 2.7, will the automatic be worth it? i know people around here are lean more toward the manual, but im tired of driving a manual