Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Toyota Trucks & SUVs

Notices

22r excessive cam wear: Opinions on stupid cheap rebuild

Old 12-12-2012, 10:26 AM   #1
87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of

87xjmike's Tacoma Gallery
22r excessive cam wear: Opinions on stupid cheap rebuild

Well i took a chance and picked up a 22r assembled for 100 bux, it wasn't rusted up and siezed so it already had an advantage over the motor in my crawler. Tore it apart and the cam had some wicked wear on two lobes and the rocker arms, it was burning oil in two cylinders, same two cylinders have pistons that have wiggle room in the cylinders, BUT it has a dual row timing chain, the chain guides look perfect, the cylinder walls are in great shape and the block deck and head surface aren't warped.

Here's what i'm doing while trying to keep this rebuild as cheap as possible:
I gently scrubbed off all the surface rust on the lobes off the "good" cam from my rusty motor with scoth bright
Polish cam lobes
New piston rings
New rod bearings
new valve seals
i'm going to do a leak down test tonight and lap whatever vavles don't seal.
New h20 pump
New head gasket
Clean as much of the carbon build up off the head ports, valves, pistons and combustion chambers with... carb cleaner? anything faster and more effective?
Any other must do's when tearing a motor down? This isn't a go fast rig so i'm not concerned about getting more power out of this hampster motor, good compression and not burning are all i'm going for.

Just trying to track down what causes this wicked cam wear so it doesn't happen again, non adjusted valves? Oil starvation...? It only happened to two lobes

The siezed 85 motor has pear shaped exhuast ports, i'd like to use the exhuast header that was bolted to this as its brand new. Can i use a 85 ex header on the pre 85 head?

Just to kill my curiosity, How can i tell which cam i have?

Thanks to a buddy i now have a stand and hoist now so i don't have to do this again...

Thanks for any input
Old 12-12-2012, 04:12 PM   #2
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
The common Cam Wear problem on 22R/22RE engines is the lack of zinc in oil now days. It is crucial when installing a new cam to break it in with high zinc break in oil or you will ruin it right off the bat. Unfortunately the stuff is like $10-$12 a bottle. Even after break in, it is a good idea to use a good quality oil. Preferably something with zinc in it.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:16 PM   #3
87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of

87xjmike's Tacoma Gallery
yeah i've read all about zddp

I found a stockpile of the red stp 4cylinder oil treatment so i put that in with every oil change on all my motors.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:44 PM   #4
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
As far as why just those two lobes. Not really sure. Except the oil ports that feed oil to the lobes are very small. They can get clogged if a person never changes their oil.