1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best Shell for Prerunner Double Cab Long Bed???

Discussion in 'Toyota Trucks & SUVs' started by Rich Swanner, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Aug 20, 2007 at 12:34 AM
    Rich Swanner

Rich Swanner [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    N.California
    Vehicle:
    2007 Black PreRunner DC V6 SR5 LB
    Leer 100R Shell NXT Tech Wax
    I just got a 2007 Prerunner Double Cab Long Bed. What company makes a good shell A.R.E ,Snug Top Leer???? Thanks- Rich

2. Aug 20, 2007 at 2:05 AM
    reid

reid Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 V6 Access Cab
    Magna Flow stainless cat-back, 3" Toytec Lift, 32" Mickey Thompsons
    In my opinion Leer makes the best. The flush fit windows look way better than the windows with trim around them. I have had an eye on them since I bought my truck, just have to look under the couch for $2500 in pocket change.

3. Sep 17, 2007 at 10:55 PM
    Sixgunsam

Sixgunsam Member

Member:
    Gulfcoast of FLA
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver Taco Access cab 4x2 4cyl 5spd manual
    Class III Hitch...so far
    I had an A.R.E. on my 1992 Toyota 4WD for 15years. Repainted it once and was still good when I traded it on for the new one on my 2007 Taco 4x2 access cab. Original price $800 in 1992, new one was $1054. IMHO it's one of the better purchases I've ever made for a vehicle accessory.

4. Sep 17, 2007 at 11:13 PM
    Rich Swanner

Member:
    N.California
    Vehicle:
    I was going with the CX by A.R.E. but they kept changing prices on me. I bought a Leer 100R. The same one that is on my Ranger Supercab XLT , of course this one will be in Black Sand Pearl, not Silver.The Leer 100R is $1099(Base) with headliner , front flipdown slider window(easy to clean the windows, truck and cap)12 volt wired light installation , and California tax, it will be $1400 out the door. It has factory matched paint(using the Toyota paint code) The color and shell last as long as the truck. It is not drilled on it uses a clamp system using the rails inside. It can be removed easy with two people , although I never do. It is also water tight, for protecting all your stuff...Rich

5. Sep 22, 2007 at 10:55 PM
    Rich Swanner

Member:
    N.California
    Vehicle:
    Yeah! Next Saturday it goes on(Hope Hope Hope!!!) I need to take some more without shots as it will be with shell a long time. Oh! Well , I can be camping and my stuff will be safer.... Pics coming soon...Rich [​IMG]

6. Sep 23, 2007 at 2:49 PM
    gegundez

gegundez Well-Known Member

Member:
    Miami, FL
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Prerunner Dcab
    Overpriced stereo and alarm. MBRP Dual Exhaust.
    Some good ideas, definitely will think about for the future.

7. Sep 23, 2007 at 4:00 PM
    03coma

03coma Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD, SR5
    TRD Pro Grille, Skid Plate, TRD Cat-Back Exhaust System, 2017 Tacoma TRD Rims, ARE Series II Lid,
    Hey Rich good luck with it, and nice Taco. I've had 2 ARE Products.
    1 cap on my 89 Toy long bed and a ARE Lid on my 03 Taco. You might have run into a bad dealer for ARE.

8. Sep 25, 2007 at 12:34 AM
    Sixgunsam

Sixgunsam Member

Member:
    Gulfcoast of FLA
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver Taco Access cab 4x2 4cyl 5spd manual
    Class III Hitch...so far
    I ordered the A.R.E. CX painted Silver to match my Taco and with the fold-down/pass-thru window option the day after I picked up my new '07. Expect it soon and will post pics when I get'em. Price was about the same $1055 +Tax,etc. Looking forward to the day it gets installed. I feel "exposed" without it!! LOL

9. Jan 31, 2011 at 12:11 AM
    WHO IS THE DRIZZ

WHO IS THE DRIZZ New Member

Member:
    KettleFalls, WA
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab Longbed
    arb front bumper, arb lift, onboard air, IPF lights, Warn M8000, TRD Cold Air Intake, TRD Throttlebody Spacer, Leer 100R
    Yo this post just motivated me to join! I got a Leer 100R, it was cool the first week i had it....then I saw the flaws uneven overhang, paint, and the mounting system. I have a Magnetic grey metallic paint job so i got the cap painted to match. It ended up being more of a green tint than black and diff size flake. Now thats all i see when i look at my truck no matter the light. the other thing that really pisses me off is that the cap overhangs the whole bed and its not uniform (I now look at every truck that has a cap to see if overhangs the bed most trucks don't, but tacos and leer have a high ratio). The manual says to tighten up the mounting system once a month i live on gravel washboard roads and have to tighten em up once a week so its not sliding. when i do all i hear is the fiberglass creaking and flexing. why didn't leer put some metal in to reinforce the areas where the clamps go? not even grade 8 bolts r holding it down from the factory (they bend when u try to tighten it). i took my truck back to get the cap reinstalled for free. they ended up doing it wrong again. the only good thing is that it hasn't leaked yet. I cant wait to take it off in the summer to redo the mounting system b4 i break the fiberglass. anyway hope this helps, I should saved the 2 g's!!!

10. Jan 31, 2011 at 6:24 AM
    Goober

Goober Earthlings are fun to watch!

Member:
    Utah - Why just have only one?
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Off-Planet AccessCab

Products Discussed in

To Top