Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Toyota Trucks & SUVs

Notices

Looking to buy 89 pickup, newbie questions

Old 01-17-2013, 08:25 AM   #1
hjl is on a distinguished road
Name: Charlie
hjl's Tacoma Gallery
Looking to buy 89 pickup, newbie questions

I've been lurking for a while, and I finally decided to try and buy and older Toyota pickup. I won't be doing to much with it, it won't be a daily driver, just something for fun and occasional runs to Home Depot.

I like the pickups from 1989 and earlier. Problem is, around here (Buffalo, NY) cars rust fast, and any of the trucks I like are all junk. So I started looking online, and I'm just not sure I can buy a car without driving it first. For example, this is exactly what I'm looking for:

http://www.leesautocenter.com/1989_T..._171769259.veh

But, can I really trust the pictures? I guess I'm wondering if there are any questions I can ask that might reveal problems with the truck, anything the 89's are notorious for? Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:18 AM   #2
Crosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: FMF Corpsman
Crosis's Tacoma Gallery
Its unlikely you will get much help from this forum. They just want to show pics of their trucks and act like this is cardomain and not a real forum.

Just use your eyes. If its a NY truck its likely to be rusty as hell. Chech the frame, the door jams and the rockers for rust. Those are death points.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:29 AM   #3
Defend Hawaii
HIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: PJ
HIst8ofMIND's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjl View Post
I've been lurking for a while, and I finally decided to try and buy and older Toyota pickup. I won't be doing to much with it, it won't be a daily driver, just something for fun and occasional runs to Home Depot.

I like the pickups from 1989 and earlier. Problem is, around here (Buffalo, NY) cars rust fast, and any of the trucks I like are all junk. So I started looking online, and I'm just not sure I can buy a car without driving it first. For example, this is exactly what I'm looking for:

http://www.leesautocenter.com/1989_T..._171769259.veh

But, can I really trust the pictures? I guess I'm wondering if there are any questions I can ask that might reveal problems with the truck, anything the 89's are notorious for? Any advice would be appreciated.
Ask for the mileage and check if the engine has been rebuilt at 200k. Also you will face oil leaks. It's common for these trucks.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:31 AM   #4
newertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: electronics tech
Name: Kevin
newertoy's Tacoma Gallery
It appears the(gray) 92 was painted with primer-and the BED IS CROOKED.
YES--always drive it. Or get someone you know to drive it.
Never trust a car salesman-NEVER.
the 89 and earlier have a different body style than the 92.
I had a 91--tough as nails-GREAT TRUCK.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:10 AM   #5
Redneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Redneck92's Tacoma Gallery
Check for rust, the frames tend to rust similar to Tacoma's. Don't go with a v6, they suck ass. You could if its had head gaskets done but is still be a lil cautious. Other than that just look for obvious things.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:58 PM   #6
bseant is on a distinguished road
bseant's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIst8ofMIND View Post
Ask for the mileage and check if the engine has been rebuilt at 200k. Also you will face oil leaks. It's common for these trucks.
i used to have an 89 with almost 300,000 miles on it and never leaked one bit of oil. Great friggin truck
Old 02-12-2013, 10:05 PM   #7
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
89-94 have a different body style than the previous years so I'm not sure what you mean by 89 and earlier.

The 22R-E is an I4 engine that is known very well to be reliable

The V6s are known for head gasket issues

Either way, look for one that is in good shape (hard to find, I know).

They are most prone to rust issues and teenagers. By that I mean if well maintained they will last forever but most people get one and beat it horribly.

If it's sketchy in any way and you don't want to dump a fortune into constantly fixing it up, pass. You can always look for one from a dry state where cars don't rust so bad and see if you can get it delivered or something. But you'd have to find a really good deal for that to pan out.

Basically, keep an eye out for that gem to go for sale because most you come across will be overly rusty, beat up, and not well maintained.

Also, that first poster has mommy issues.

Hope that helps, man