1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Which Tacoma for carrying a camper

Discussion in 'Toyota Trucks & SUVs' started by dag, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Jan 21, 2013 at 8:01 AM
    dag

dag [OP] daylate dollar shot

Member:
    First Name:
    dag
    colorado
    Vehicle:
    96 T-100
    I've been driving, for work and for fun, a '96 T-100 for the past 13 years. Am now considering getting a Tacoma. It will be almost exclusively for carrying my pop-up slide-in camper. I have an All Terrain Camper, Bobcat model. It weighs 700lbs dry, probably around 1000 lbs loaded with gear, etc. I am planning to build a similar camper and hope to lower the weight by 200-300 lbs. I am wondering if a 2.7 access cab with 4x4 is sufficient to carrying this weight without being too much of a strain on the engine. The camper is low profile, the over-the-cab part is only 8" high in the lowered, travelling position. My T-100 doesn't mind a bit but it is the 6 cylinder. I am retired(yeah) and plan to spend a great deal of time on the road, but seldom on a paved road. I want to get something that will give me the best possible gas mileage. I don't need to drive fast and I don't get TOO crazy with the off road stuff. I don't want to over work my truck and shorten it's life though. I have 376,000 miles on the T-100 and I hope to get that much out of my Tacoma. 2.7 or should I go with the 6 banger?
    [​IMG]

2. Jan 21, 2013 at 8:05 AM
    TexAggie

TexAggie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    OME Lift
    I would go with v6 with the towing package. That will give the the longest lasting set up IMO.

3. Jan 21, 2013 at 8:06 AM
    Boerseun

Boerseun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD Sport 4x4
    Upgraded 2002 Tacoma to 2018 Tundra
    If the camper will only be on the truck for the occasional week-end trip, and daily driver without it the rest of the time, then the 4-cyl. will be fine. If you plan on keeping the camper on there all the time, I would go with the 6-cyl.
    If you put a 4-cyl under a heavy load, the gas mileage gets worse than a 6-cyl. because it has to work so much harder.

4. Jan 21, 2013 at 8:15 AM
    PLC721

PLC721 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Chandler, Az
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tundra Crewmax ProKiller
    Kings, Toyos, Baja Designs, TC, SDHQ
    i see your in Colorado, a i4 might struggle with a camper shell a lot more than a v6 would pulling some big hills

5. Jan 21, 2013 at 8:42 AM
    dag

dag [OP] daylate dollar shot

Member:
    First Name:
    dag
    colorado
    Vehicle:
    96 T-100
    My thought was that the 2.7 might struggle a bit. Have never had a 4 cylinder, just know that my 6 banger T-100 is better than any domestic 8 cylinder that I have ever owned. Just wondered if anyone had that experience, camper and 2.7. It would pretty much be a full time set up, don't want any regrets so I imagine I'll go with the 6. Thanks

6. Jan 21, 2013 at 7:34 PM
    mattboris

mattboris Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    alberta canada
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco double cab
    Chopped antana, bed extender, soft tonneau cover, fog lites anytime mod, go rhino side tubes, 1.25" spidertrax wheel spacers, bike fork clamp home made for rail system, TRD cue ball shift knob, chopped mud claps, HID headlites 6000k, 265/70R17 Duratracs, 1.5" strut spacer, 1" block
    Also by getting the tow package you'll gain the oil cooler and higher output alternator. Pretty sure you can't get a 4 cylinder with a tow package

7. Jan 22, 2013 at 6:48 AM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
    Definitely the v6. It'll be nice to have the balls. Need know when you'll need to tow a trailer or something.

Products Discussed in

To Top