Notices

Which Tacoma for carrying a camper

Old 01-21-2013, 09:01 AM   #1
daylate dollar shot
dag is on a distinguished road
Name: dag
dag's Tacoma Gallery
Which Tacoma for carrying a camper

I've been driving, for work and for fun, a '96 T-100 for the past 13 years. Am now considering getting a Tacoma. It will be almost exclusively for carrying my pop-up slide-in camper. I have an All Terrain Camper, Bobcat model. It weighs 700lbs dry, probably around 1000 lbs loaded with gear, etc. I am planning to build a similar camper and hope to lower the weight by 200-300 lbs. I am wondering if a 2.7 access cab with 4x4 is sufficient to carrying this weight without being too much of a strain on the engine. The camper is low profile, the over-the-cab part is only 8" high in the lowered, travelling position. My T-100 doesn't mind a bit but it is the 6 cylinder. I am retired(yeah) and plan to spend a great deal of time on the road, but seldom on a paved road. I want to get something that will give me the best possible gas mileage. I don't need to drive fast and I don't get TOO crazy with the off road stuff. I don't want to over work my truck and shorten it's life though. I have 376,000 miles on the T-100 and I hope to get that much out of my Tacoma. 2.7 or should I go with the 6 banger?
Old 01-21-2013, 09:05 AM   #2
TexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
TexAggie's Tacoma Gallery
I would go with v6 with the towing package. That will give the the longest lasting set up IMO.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:06 AM   #3
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
If the camper will only be on the truck for the occasional week-end trip, and daily driver without it the rest of the time, then the 4-cyl. will be fine. If you plan on keeping the camper on there all the time, I would go with the 6-cyl.
If you put a 4-cyl under a heavy load, the gas mileage gets worse than a 6-cyl. because it has to work so much harder.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:15 AM   #4
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
i see your in Colorado, a i4 might struggle with a camper shell a lot more than a v6 would pulling some big hills
Old 01-21-2013, 09:42 AM   #5
daylate dollar shot
dag is on a distinguished road
Name: dag
dag's Tacoma Gallery
My thought was that the 2.7 might struggle a bit. Have never had a 4 cylinder, just know that my 6 banger T-100 is better than any domestic 8 cylinder that I have ever owned. Just wondered if anyone had that experience, camper and 2.7. It would pretty much be a full time set up, don't want any regrets so I imagine I'll go with the 6. Thanks
Old 01-21-2013, 08:34 PM   #6
mattboris is on a distinguished road

Name: Matt
mattboris's Tacoma Gallery
Also by getting the tow package you'll gain the oil cooler and higher output alternator. Pretty sure you can't get a 4 cylinder with a tow package
Old 01-22-2013, 07:48 AM   #7
I am the one who knocks
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Definitely the v6. It'll be nice to have the balls. Need know when you'll need to tow a trailer or something.