Ladies and gentlemen- I'll try to keep this brief.
After going without a truck for several years due to work assignment/family, I will be purchasing a 2013 Tacoma in the next couple of weeks. I have two friends with Tacoma's and I have tentatively decided on the following, based on their feedback. I would appreciate any additional feedback.
This will be a daily driver and a weekend fun-truck. I will tow a minimal amount (small utility trailer, kayak trailer...). It will go deer hunting and boy scout camping and mudding.
1. Color- I've pretty much decided on white. Since I live in Texas, I know better than to get a dark color. Silver would be nice, but the dealership has already told me that silver will be hard to get with the options that I've tentatively decided on- I don't want navigation. The tan color would be ok I guess... Black or charcoal would be elegant, but I know how freaking hot dark colors get here in the 9 month summer... Is there any reason not to go with white?
2. I'm going double cab/short bed with the TRD off-road package unless there is strong objection. It seems to have most of the options that I want and most all of those are coming with the towing option.
3. I was thinking about adding the Toyota VIP alarm package. I have it on the toyota car that I'm currently driving and it's works very well. I've also heard good things about some aftermarket alarms, but having someone cut into a new truck - other than the dealership - makes me nervous. I could really use some guidance here.
4. I can't get homelink without getting a limited which means you get navigation. The homelink is very appealing because I have a remote controlled gate, and two garages. So I'll have three remotes without the homelink. I've heard there are some after-market homelink systems.. Any thoughts/advice here...
5. My wife's highlander has the clear plastic on the front and in the high risk impact areas. Would this be something to consider for the Tacoma?
6. Step pipe- the dealership said on the off-road package 4x4 they normally don't equip with the step pipes because off-roaders don't want them.... Should I get them? Get them after market?
7. Are the 16" allow wheels that come with the off-road package something I should stay with? I've seen some Tacoma's with blacked-out wheels on the white trucks and they look pretty tight. I was thinking about changing them out. Do it with the dealer or after the purchase?
Any other advice is sincerely appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time.