Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Toyota Trucks & SUVs

Notices

Afghanistan - Land of Toyota's

Old 06-26-2013, 09:09 PM   #121
got 5VZFE?
taco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Austen
taco terror's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
Yeah, I took them from that same computer...
I am sure that that is your Merc. in your signature. VERY, nice car!
Old 06-26-2013, 09:51 PM   #122
Maximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: D
Maximus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Can somebody school me on the front suspension set up? Dual coil over?
Old 06-27-2013, 04:13 PM   #123
Young Padawan
Jonesn13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonesn13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonesn13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonesn13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonesn13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonesn13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonesn13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonesn13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonesn13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonesn13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonesn13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EMS: Was EMT Cert. for 2 years in CO.
Name: Spencer
Jonesn13's Tacoma Gallery
HOLY LIFT BATMAN.

That rig looks awesome!!!!
Old 06-27-2013, 09:05 PM   #124
sjwhitaker is on a distinguished road

Army: Spec 4 Mafia
Name: Jake
sjwhitaker's Tacoma Gallery
Most of the land cruisers are ran by DOD contractors and 3 letter agency guys, the easiest way to figure out who they are is to is to look for firing ports in the window. Most units over there have soft trucks to run around the FOB in. Well except at our COP, you could throw a rock across it. I doubt all of those are for DOD use, alot are used by contracters and they pay the DOD to bring them in. I have seen alot of the F250s and suburbans, I need to get out my hard drive and find the picture I have of an F250 that we recovered that had been blown all to hell.
Old 06-30-2013, 04:49 PM   #125
kRiStOf is on a distinguished road

Army: Patriot System Repairer/Recruiter
kRiStOf's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd

~k
Old 07-02-2013, 11:17 AM   #126
schleygo is a splendid one to beholdschleygo is a splendid one to beholdschleygo is a splendid one to beholdschleygo is a splendid one to beholdschleygo is a splendid one to beholdschleygo is a splendid one to beholdschleygo is a splendid one to beholdschleygo is a splendid one to behold

Name: Daniel
schleygo's Tacoma Gallery
Flew these into Camp Bastion the other day. Bullet resistant and heavy as hell. Each one weighed of 10,000lbs

Old 07-02-2013, 12:43 PM   #127
Kenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: MSgt
Kenobe's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thank you Sir.

Here's an Afghan Bang Bus...

Man-love Thursdays!
Old 07-03-2013, 08:50 AM   #128
AaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Aaron
AaronArf's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by schleygo View Post
Flew these into Camp Bastion the other day. Bullet resistant and heavy as hell. Each one weighed of 10,000lbs

sketchy ass palletization right there That'd never fly like that on a airforce bird
Old 07-03-2013, 09:01 AM   #129
bellero is a splendid one to beholdbellero is a splendid one to beholdbellero is a splendid one to beholdbellero is a splendid one to beholdbellero is a splendid one to beholdbellero is a splendid one to beholdbellero is a splendid one to behold

Army:
bellero's Tacoma Gallery
I was there in 2006-2007, I remember how disapointed the ANA and ANP troops were when they found out they would be issued Ford Rangers rather than Toyotas! lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma13SR5 View Post
Afghan National Army Ford Ranger. Like the bumper Thailand puts on them.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:07 AM   #130
Tacoma13SR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma13SR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma13SR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma13SR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma13SR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma13SR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma13SR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma13SR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma13SR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma13SR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma13SR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Aerial Porter
Tacoma13SR5's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellero View Post
I was there in 2006-2007, I remember how disapointed the ANA and ANP troops were when they found out they would be issued Ford Rangers rather than Toyotas! lol!

Love those Ivecos posted up there. Wish I had the chance to see one when I was there. But I think the Ford Ranger has proven itself worthy enough, since they're imported from Thailand.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:42 PM   #131
Listen More that Speak... Answer When Asked
NorthRoad is on a distinguished road

Canadian Army: Troop Commander _ Armoured Recce; Battle Tanks
NorthRoad's Tacoma Gallery
Great thread! Lots of cool pics of the high-end friendlies but what about the sketchy old war horses? Some of those rides fought the Soviets first! Further who is the guy who volunteers to hold on to the box mounted 50cal at 100km/h cross country?! One guy doesn't know how to drive and the other how to shoot. Neither guy survives but the truck does!?

Best Toyota related SitRep ever...

T13B, T13... reference Yota 400m to your front. 6x pers with small arms. Are those guys with us?... ANA? ANP? or Timmy? Over.

T13B beats the f*#k out of me... all three probably. Keeping eyes on and 120 ready. Out.

One minute later... CRUMP... no more Toyota!

T13B, T13 Confirm contact! Over.

T13B, Negative... looks like an RPG reload lesson. FAIL. Out.

(Sorry no pics... OPSEC)
Old 07-05-2013, 03:21 AM   #132
larzpdot is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Staff Sergeant 2T0X1 Traffic Management
Name: Pete
larzpdot's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome Thread!

There's nothing but Toyotas rolling around in Africa. This is a Land Cruiser pickup that belongs to the Army guys from Chad. They also had some old Soviet BMP-1 Tanks that I helped ship out too...

I know it's not from Afghan but thought I'd share anyway.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:49 AM   #133
Tacoma13SR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma13SR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma13SR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma13SR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma13SR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma13SR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma13SR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma13SR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma13SR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma13SR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma13SR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronArf View Post
sketchy ass palletization right there That'd never fly like that on a airforce bird
What's sketchy about the palletization? That's the standard pallets they use for commercial birds. Our 463L pallets fit on the 747's, MD-11's, C-17's and C-5's. If we were going to ship them out on a C-17 or C-5, we wouldn't use pallets for them. We would chain them to the aircraft floor.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:51 AM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by larzpdot View Post
Awesome Thread!

There's nothing but Toyotas rolling around in Africa. This is a Land Cruiser pickup that belongs to the Army guys from Chad. They also had some old Soviet BMP-1 Tanks that I helped ship out too...

I know it's not from Afghan but thought I'd share anyway.

Anything Toyota related for the most part. I like seeing the countries that primarily use nothing but Toyota's. So, Africa fits within that circle.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:03 PM   #135
Insert witty title here
Seventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Chris
Seventh's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Seventh
This thread is awesome.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:06 PM   #136
Whiskey Neat is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Mechanic - of sorts
Name: James
Whiskey Neat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What's sketchy about the palletization? That's the standard pallets they use for commercial birds. Our 463L pallets fit on the 747's, MD-11's, C-17's and C-5's. If we were going to ship them out on a C-17 or C-5, we wouldn't use pallets for them. We would chain them to the aircraft floor.
He's probably referring to the fact that there are only cargo straps run through the wheels to hold the things down. No chains, nothing tying the vehicles down left to right, nothing protecting the straps from sharp edges on the wheels, etc. Not the pallets themselves.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:26 AM   #137
AaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Aaron
AaronArf's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Neat View Post
He's probably referring to the fact that there are only cargo straps run through the wheels to hold the things down. No chains, nothing tying the vehicles down left to right, nothing protecting the straps from sharp edges on the wheels, etc. Not the pallets themselves.
Exactly....no chaffing gear or chains. No wonder civilian birds are crashing in Bagram
Old 07-06-2013, 08:19 AM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronArf View Post
Exactly....no chaffing gear or chains. No wonder civilian birds are crashing in Bagram

The straps must be rated at 5,000lbs or more since the vehicle weighs well over 10,000lbs. We use 5,000lbs straps. The chains and devices would be absolute overkill, considering they are 10,000 and 25,000lb restraints. So, from doing this kind of stuff on a daily basis, I can only assume that the straps have more than enough restraint to hold the vehicles on to the pallets, where the pallet locks on the 747 provide all further restraint. This set up is just how the airlines provide all forward, aft, lateral, and vertical restraint. Here's a Renault VAB I saw on my deployment getting ready to be shipped out. They did a similar set up for it.

Old 07-06-2013, 05:37 PM   #139
Whiskey Neat is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Mechanic - of sorts
Name: James
Whiskey Neat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The straps must be rated at 5,000lbs or more since the vehicle weighs well over 10,000lbs. We use 5,000lbs straps. The chains and devices would be absolute overkill, considering they are 10,000 and 25,000lb restraints. So, from doing this kind of stuff on a daily basis, I can only assume that the straps have more than enough restraint to hold the vehicles on to the pallets, where the pallet locks on the 747 provide all further restraint. This set up is just how the airlines provide all forward, aft, lateral, and vertical restraint. Here's a Renault VAB I saw on my deployment getting ready to be shipped out. They did a similar set up for it.
You are an aerial porter, so I'll defer to your judgement. However, in light of the 747 that crashed due to a load shifting, those cargo straps with no chafe protection do look sketchy. Especially if you add a 30-40 degree climb angle into the mix.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:11 AM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Neat View Post
You are an aerial porter, so I'll defer to your judgement. However, in light of the 747 that crashed due to a load shifting, those cargo straps with no chafe protection do look sketchy. Especially if you add a 30-40 degree climb angle into the mix.

I know. Believe me, those MRAPs should have been sent out through C-5's or C-17s. Now, if a Cadiallac Gage Commando M1117 weighs roughly over 39,000lbs, we can safely assume an M-ATV probably weighs about the same, if not more or less. That's way too much weight for those straps to hold. But since those land cruisers were both palletized and strapped down, they shouldn't have to worry too much.