Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Toyota Trucks & SUVs

Notices

Getting a 84

Old 02-19-2013, 03:17 PM   #1
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
Getting a 84

Long story summary,

It was my dads truck in his early years of being a broke dental school graduate working at the indian health center. When he started to make it he gave it to my grandparents who have had it since 1990.

My grandpa uses it to get up and down his driveway twice a year in the snow, and they flat tow it behind their motorhome -- we will get to this. He cant get down to lock the hubs anymore so now this truck is being inherted to me.

My big concern, reading the toyota bulletin board on pirate it seems i have a slight issue with the past 22 years of the truck being flat towed behind a motorhome for close to 50k miles.

I came across this on the board

Quote:
"Flat Towing a Toyota <-- Must disconnect rear driveline!

"On all auto chain driven and manual gear driven t/cases, if it is towed in two wheel drive, the output shaft will turn, but there will be no way for the oil at the bottom of the case to get to the top where the output shaft is. On the chain driven cases, the input shaft turns the planetary housing which drives the oil pump. Gear driven cases use the input gear and low range gears to throw oil on the inside of the housing that collects the oil via gutters and directs it to the rear of the case by gravity. Both style of cases, must have the input shaft spinning to lube the output shaft, speedo gears, and rear seal of the t/case. The rear driveshaft must be removed.
Marlin"
May be the wrong site to ask but i am looking for any advice, I plan to tear into this truck pretty quick to preserve it as its been neglected for some time. What should i look into with this fact being known.
Thanks for the help

also this truck is going to be my new dd hopefully, the 07 will be for trips and towing, i know this is the dumb way to do it, but its how it worked out
Old 02-20-2013, 03:37 PM   #2
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
Those trucks are very durable, and if any of those parts were worn, there is a huge aftermarket for them. That is one of the best most reliable vehicles a person could own. Being an 84 it has a solid front axle. So the biggest concern is when you park it. Those front axles, and the transfer cases are highly sought after. So just be careful about the truck getting stolen.